What's new

India flags off first train in Kashmir Valley

der amad...durust amad.....it has taken 60 years for the train to get there, in a few decades other issues should be resolved too.

I am trying to get the pics of its interiors.. anyone got anything on that?? the train does look very pretty.. not like the usual Indian trains..

The train, purchased from Integral Coach Factory in Madras, India, will run between Qazigund in south Kashmir and Baramulla in the north. I do

6f7f7ca68b327ca2a9e94da8326449fd.jpg

8d7d47ed7545e60fe7e12676f86edea0.gif

d5f1acc4fefb229d85785a7527d6e34d.jpg

der amad...durust amad.....it has taken 60 years for the train to get there, in a few decades other issues should be resolved too.

For around 60 miles, cost to build this train stretch comes somewhere 500 million USD, that shows how costly operation is to build the train stretch in this difficult terrain. As for as why it took 60 years to build first train network in valley, so in last 60 years India was also a poor country and there were other economic priorities for kashmiri people. Now GOI will provided more rubust train network. I heard these trains will be tourists kind of, so that they can enjoy beauty of valley.

something like the palace on wheels thingy?? thats damn expensive.. more than tourists, it will help if the train takes care of the people.. lower costs required...

I think its 10 years after the plans started. Not bad for a terrain as difficult as Kashmir.

I think the future of the Freedom struggle in Kashmir is a peaceful one. In the last 8 to ten years, Pakistan largely backed off from supporting the militants in Kashmir, with teh start of the US WoT.

Violence and infiltration dropped dramatically, and the result was some of the biggest anti-India rallies ever seen in Kashmir, and a complete rejection of Indian rule. Opinions in mainstream India were also offered on why India should accept the Kashmiri demand for a plebiscite in the valley.

I think all of that indicates that blowing up the train or any such thing will in fact have the reverse effect on the freedom movement.

I think the future of the Freedom struggle in Kashmir is a peaceful one. In the last 8 to ten years, Pakistan largely backed off from supporting the militants in Kashmir, with teh start of the US WoT.

Violence and infiltration dropped dramatically, and the result was some of the biggest anti-India rallies ever seen in Kashmir, and a complete rejection of Indian rule. Opinions in mainstream India were also offered on why India should accept the Kashmiri demand for a plebiscite in the valley.

I think all of that indicates that blowing up the train or any such thing will in fact have the reverse effect on the freedom movement.

I have seen many leaders in India who were able to gather huge mass, and some times looked like they have become very powerful. But same leaders have seen worst within very short span of time, and people refused to come with them. This is same going to happen with opportunistic hurriat, who wants to divide the country based on religion.

As for as freedom struggle is concern, this is not going to be successful and nor it is going to be peaceful. Due to inherent aggression in supporting Parties and their religious inclination will not allow the movement to be peaceful.

There are other angles which will not allow these separatist ideology get success, like whole region is not with movement, except core of Kashmir valley. With in people of valley there are three strong groups
1) Who wants to join Pakistan (will be removed in near future)
2) Who wants separate nation and wants to talk with GOI.
3) Political party in valley they want to be with India. Because they know a separate Kashmir will go in Taliban ideology in no time.

There are many other angles which will not allow this movement successful, like Pakistan will never allow Kashmiris to make another nation, because then they have to give P O K. Many reasons which do not allow international community to support the separatist’s movement, every one struggling with this kind of ugly face of terrorism.

Yes, assembling a rowdy crowd or a mob is no big deal in SA. It will fizzle out if it has not already done so.

Its important that the peaceful patriotic elements in the state get all the benefits of development while the few militants are taken care.

I think the future of the Freedom struggle in Kashmir is a peaceful one.

Personally, I think the future of Kashmir is a peaceful tourist destination.

In the last 8 to ten years, Pakistan largely backed off from supporting the militants in Kashmir, with teh start of the US WoT.

could also mean effective border control by India, drop in support for the foreign terrorists/freedom fighters etc.

Violence and infiltration dropped dramatically, and the result was some of the biggest anti-India rallies ever seen in Kashmir, and a complete rejection of Indian rule.

As members have pointed out, assembling people in the subcontinent is not the most difficult of jobs. The Pakistani "Million Marches" for eg. are quite famous for large turnouts and no outcome.

Opinions in mainstream India were also offered on why India should accept the Kashmiri demand for a plebiscite in the valley.

Dissent is one of the pillars of democracy.

Reminds me of Singur controversy, the real inhabitants were threatened and beaten up and asked to keep quiet, while the TC workers brought in from other districts had a field day rioting.

The terrorists follow one writ and one writ only that is spreading terror. It is better to be feared if one cannot be loved. It would not be impossible for the Z+ cover HC leaders to assemble a five thousand strong mob in Kashmir even after bombing of the train for attention.

Kashmir train a hit on first day

Srinagar (PTI): Kashmir's forest train service inaugurated by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh became an instant hit on the very first day of its commercial operation, forcing the railway authorities to refund the tickets to many who could not board the train due to heavy rush.

"The train is already full with all the eight coaches packed .... most of the passengers have bought tickets upto Anantnag which makes it unlikely for passengers from other stations to board the train," a railway official at Srinagar railway station told PTI. Asked how many tickets would need to be refunded, the official said it was too early to say anything about the numbers. "We will refund tickets of all those passengers who have not been able to make the journey from Srinagar to Anantnag due to the paucity of seats on the train," he said.

He said it would be impossible for passengers to board the train from other stations between Srinagar and Anantnag. The train service, which become commercially operational from today, runs four times a day between Rajwansher in Budgam district and Anantnag district with a maximum seating capacity of 720 persons per train. There is already a demand from general public that the frequency of the train be increased so that the service can be beneficial for people.

The Hindu News Update Service

Coming down the mountains, wearing red patina, train sweeps Valley

Srinagar, October 12 As the bright red train chugged in making its first appearance at the Srinagar station, whistles blew, hands clapped and shouts rang out. Hundreds of people inched closer to the brim of the platform to greet the passengers, bursting out of everywhere from the Valley’s first train.

The seating arrangements were meant for 90 each on eight coaches but no one seemed to mind as more than 10,000 today jumped on for the nine-stop ride, at 100 km/hr. Men and women, adult and children smiled, waved, shouted, heads out of windows. Five hundred got off at Srinagar station alone.

There was no sign of Saturday’s tension, when Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had flagged off the train in the same city, almost deserted at the time.

“More than 10,000 people travelled by the train today. I can’t even count the number of people who visited the station,” said Srinagar Station Manager Zubair Majid. “It is much more than we had hoped for.”

Coming down the mountains, wearing red patina, train sweeps Valley

Last edited:
desipride, ye kaunsa continent confuse kar liya...the famous million march was in the USA.

as for pakistan, it is notoriously difficult to get people on the streets, no matter what the political or social cause. People are just not intersted, even students don't protest, strikes are almost unheard of. The only time in recent memory was probably the lawyer protest, and that consisted of mainly lawyers, and an issue related to the justice system.

Even the Muhammad cartoon controversy did not get many people on the streets of pakistan. Pakistanis are generally very pragmatic, and are not rabble roused so easily. So do not say it is easy to find assemble a mobin S.A...maybe in India/Bangladesh it could be so.

So what these famous million marches are, I have no idea. Could it be the figment of a very fertile Indian imagination??

Dig Vijaya

p.s. see how the peaceful protests of the Kashmiri people are dismissed as mobs and assemblies of people, that can be gathered at a whim...Indians don't give a damn about the aspirations of the people of Kashmir.

desipride, ye kaunsa continent confuse kar liya...the famous million march was in the USA.

as for pakistan, it is notoriously difficult to get people on the streets, no matter what the political or social cause. People are just not intersted, even students don't protest, strikes are almost unheard of. The only time in recent memory was probably the lawyer protest, and that consisted of mainly lawyers, and an issue related to the justice system.

Even the Muhammad cartoon controversy did not get many people on the streets of pakistan. Pakistanis are generally very pragmatic, and are not rabble roused so easily. So do not say it is easy to find assemble a mobin S.A...maybe in India/Bangladesh it could be so.

So what these famous million marches are, I have no idea. Could it be the figment of a very fertile Indian imagination??

google: "million march" pakistan

Dig Vijaya

No

p.s. see how the peaceful protests of the Kashmiri people are dismissed as mobs and assemblies of people, that can be gathered at a whim...Indians don't give a damn about the aspirations of the people of Kashmir.

I don't give a damn to the aspirations of others.

Back
Top Bottom