What's new

India Dalit boy 'killed over high-caste man's name'

Basti is a very backward region. It could very well be the most backward district of India. Although this is a very unfortunate incident, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mayawati is trying to give this caste colour to gain some political momentum. Elections are close and she is loosing ground.

The district of Basti is the most backward region in Uttar Pradesh in northern India. It has apopulation of about 1.8 million, of which 40 per cent are scheduled caste/scheduled tribes, 20 percent are religious minorities, 30 per cent are other backward classes, and 10 per cent are uppercastes. Almost 80 per cent of people live below the poverty line. Lack of industrialization meansthere is a lack of employment opportunities,

One of the things that make me ashamed of my nationality. This could be an isolated incident but still it has happened because of the fundamental flaws in the social structure of the Indian country side.

How can we rectify that flaw when one is asked his religion and caste in almost every application form and is inscribed in every other certificate. You may want to escape from it, but the Govt makes sure that you belong to some caste or another. Add to that the caste based reservation and the animosity b/n castes increase.

---------- Post added at 07:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 AM ----------

Basti is a very backward region. It could very well be the most backward district of India. Although this is a very unfortunate incident, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mayawati is trying to give this caste colour to gain some political momentum. Elections are close and she is loosing ground.

The name 'Dalit' is peddled around so as to give any crime a caste color, even media is part of this. If a man belonging to a Dalit class is killed or woman raped, always the name Dalit is prefixed to the crime, no matter what is the cause of the crime.

I don't know about the kind of Athiests u have gone through.. In Tamil Nadu after the enlightenment by EV Ramasamy atheism means no caste no religion..

But still there is some rough edges but not rude as the one mentioned in the article and not even clashes..

Yes Tamil Nadu is much ahead in terms of abolishing caste, thanks to the Dravidian politics. But there are still places like Coimbatore where caste system is very much prevalent. And lets not try to blame the Brahmins for everything. Brahmins today are much better in adapting to an equal society than non-brahmin non-dalits. Most of the abuse against dalits would be carried out not by the Bramins but by the people who are only better than dalits in social structure.

How can we rectify that flaw when one is asked his religion and caste in almost every application form and is inscribed in every other certificate. You may want to escape from it, but the Govt makes sure that you belong to some caste or another. Add to that the caste based reservation and the animosity b/n castes increase.

You cannot wish away caste like that. It is a historic baggage which has to be removed only when there is more equality. Do you think no one will know what a person's caste is if he/she doesn't mention it in the official records? I for one support the caste based reservation. A dalit who has used the reservation to improve his life is more likely to help a fellow dalit. This will not happen if the reservations are based solely on economic status.

You cannot wish away caste like that. It is a historic baggage which has to be removed only when there is more equality. Do you think no one will know what a person's caste is if he/she doesn't mention it in the official records? I for one support the caste based reservation. A dalit who has used the reservation to improve his life is more likely to help a fellow dalit. This will not happen if the reservations are based solely on economic status.

I agree with this. As long as cast system is legal in constitution and birth certificates it's difficult to change those stuff.

Casteism is a social ill that emanates from a feudalistic mindset that exists in certain parts of the country. It has nothing to do with religion, it is only about local one man upmanship by contorting the religion according to the wishes of the richest local guy... as someone has pointed out, this has happened in one of the most backward areas of the country and this just highlights one one issue... lack of education!!!... We, as Indians, can not tolerate that large tracts of our society is without proper education... That is the root of the problem and that needs to be tackled...

Ironically this Chaudhary guy is a lower caste himself. So BBC is talking sh*t
:confused:

Thanks for the clarification... However, even if this was to be a brahmin guy who committed the henious crime, the issue would still have been of local goon going out of control... I am more than sure that the Indian courts will set him straight...

Only religion created those Varnas(I Mean castes) not by a man like u or me..

Religion created varnas to segregate working classes, depending on the 'karma' of the person... No book says that varna can't be changed by upgrading oneself through education or learning a new field. A classical example of that was Chandragupta Maurya, who moved from being a normal guy to becoming the first king of Indian subcontinent, even after being from a non-noble background. And, no book in vedic religion allows one human to kill other human in the name of varna as as per vedic text varna is just a classification based on work and nature... stop contorting the vedic philosiphy to justify the caste system...

Caste System is a social evil, just like Sati System was and we should simply learn from our mistakes and know from these examples that the kind of feudalism that we think has died, still exists and India can never be a developed country (in its truest sense) till we address the issue of lack of education and the ability to kill such social evils! and till we address such issues completely, we should keep highlighting their presence lest we forget of their existence and forget to do the needful.

But for how long? How long will the so called upper castes victimized for some crimes that was supposedly committed by their forefather centuries ago. Its like blaming the current generation Germans for the crimes committed by Nazis in WW2.

Even the mods are getting cheap thrill by posting articles on Indian social maladies

On a serious note, yes dalit discrimination still exists in certain pockets of India, mostly in backward areas . This, in spite of storng laws. We can never be a developed country, however economically developed we are

Even the mods are getting cheap thrill by posting articles on Indian social maladies

On a serious note, yes dalit discrimination still exists in certain pockets of India, mostly in backward areas . This, in spite of storng laws. We can never be a developed country, however economically developed we are

What a hypocrite. :lol:

Even though everyone knows that threads on China's economy are banned from the forum, YOU still chose to post these threads in the "World Affairs" subforum.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/130874-china-s-economic-engine-shows-signs-slowing.html

http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/131259-social-unrest-grows-chinas-economy-booms.html

http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/124259-analysis-china-left-holding-credit-baby.html

Talk about cheap thrills, you can't even follow the forum rules in your desperation to start China-bashing threads, yet you are trying to lecture others.

first of all,
R.I.P to the young boy.

india is fast recovering from bull **** like caste system.
talk supporting caste system to the new generation of india,then sure,you won't get out of there alive!

I think reservation should be given on the basis of financial status of a person regardless of which caste/creed/religion of he/she belongs to. If a Brahmin earns $1 a day but can't get reservation and a low caste person earns $$$$$ and get reservation as well then it'd be unfair.

What a hypocrite. :lol:

Even though everyone knows that threads on China's economy are banned from the forum, YOU still chose to post these threads in the "World Affairs" subforum.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/130874-china-s-economic-engine-shows-signs-slowing.html

http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/131259-social-unrest-grows-chinas-economy-booms.html

http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/124259-analysis-china-left-holding-credit-baby.html

Talk about cheap thrills, you can't even follow the forum rules in your desperation to start China-bashing threads, yet you are trying to lecture others.

Look who is talking ! A moderator and a oridnary forumer are same to you ? If the above mentioned thread are banned, why didnt didnt the mods delete them ? And this Beijing walker guy posts all China economy related threads on world affairs, in case you were blind ! And talking about hypocrites, take a good look at yourself in the mirror first

Look who is talking ! A moderator and a oridnary forumer are same to you ? If the above mentioned thread are banned, why didnt didnt the mods delete them ? And this Beijing walker guy posts all China economy related threads on world affairs, in case you were blind ! And talking about hypocrites, take a good look at yourself in the mirror first

All those threads YOU posted, were in violation of the forum rules. This forum has banned threads on China's economy, and especially from the World Affairs subforum.

But in your desperation to start China-bashing threads, you didn't care, did you? :lol:

Irfan Baloch on the other hand, broke NO forum rules by starting this thread. So for you to lecture him on it is pure hypocrisy, since you are the one who always starts threads that are in violation of the forum rules. Hypocrite.

All those threads YOU posted, were in violation of the forum rules. This forum has banned threads on China's economy, and especially from the World Affairs subforum.

But in your desperation to start China-bashing threads, you didn't care, did you? :lol:

Irfan Baloch on the other hand, broke NO forum rules by starting this thread. So for you to lecture him on it is pure hypocrisy, since you are the one who always starts threads that are in violation of the forum rules. Hypocrite.

Aw come on ! Did I say Irfan broke the rules ? It is below dignity of mods to post articles on social maladies of a country . If it was from ordinary forumer like you it was a different issue. Now go teach some rules to your own people :wave:

But for how long? How long will the so called upper castes victimized for some crimes that was supposedly committed by their forefather centuries ago. Its like blaming the current generation Germans for the crimes committed by Nazis in WW2.

Till the social and economic status of people from all the castes become equal. Only then will the thousands of years of oppression will be set right. The difference in economic and social status of an upper caste and a dalit is too great to ignore. In most cases, economic and educational status closely follows the caste hierarchy a person belongs to. So it only makes sense to use that as a criteria to offer reservation. As I said before, the spill over effect is better if reservations are caste based than if it is solely based on financial status.

Back
Top Bottom