What's new

India Dalit boy 'killed over high-caste man's name'

Irfan Baloch

SENIOR MODERATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
India Dalit boy 'killed over high-caste man's name'

A low-caste Dalit boy has been killed in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh for sharing a name with a man of a higher caste, police say.

They said Neeraj Kumar's father Ram Sumer had been asked to change the names of two sons as they were the same as those of Jawahar Chaudhary's sons.

The body of Neeraj, 14, was found on 23 November in a field. Two friends of the Chaudhary family have been arrested.

Mr Chaudhary denies the involvement of his family in the murder.

He says the family is being framed by police.

Dalits, formerly known as "untouchables", are at the bottom of the Hindu caste system in India.

Although caste discrimination is illegal, biases remain in many areas.
Strangled

The latest incident took place in Radhaupur village in Basti district.

Both Ram Sumer and Jawahar Chaudhary have sons named Neeraj and Dheeraj and that has long been an issue between the two families, Sub-inspector Praveen Kumar said.

Mr Chaudhary, who belongs to a higher caste, had given several warnings to Mr Sumer to change the names of his boys.

On 22 November, Neeraj left home after dinner to watch television at a friend's house. His body was found the next day.

Police said he was strangled.

Mr Chaudhary's sons - Neeraj and Dheeraj - are missing, but police have arrested two friends of the family who they say had a role in the murder.

BBC News - India Dalit boy 'killed over high-caste man's name'

_57077992_neeraj.jpg

RIP, what a waste of such innocent and youthful life, despite all this prosperity India still struggles with the medieval thinking and curse of the caste system.

Indians are quick to talk about conditions in Pakistan, but they need to sort out their own house in order first.

Same with China. They are quick to mock us for everything they can find, yet we do not regularly go around burning Dalits to death just because of who they were born as.

These incident happen too rarely and happen in rural areas, India is making great progress, education is the best way to eradicate such practices. The country has done a lot in the past 10 years.

These are all recent, and all involve Dalits being burnt to death:

Two Dalit sisters burnt alive by mob - Times Of India

Physically-challenged Dalit girl burnt alive in Haryana - Times Of India

Two Dalits burnt alive after clash over dog - Times Of India

Dalit teenager burnt to death for resisting rape - Times Of India

16-yr-old Dalit girl raped, burnt alive - Times Of India

2 Dalit kids killed, eyes gouged out - Times Of India

----------

And yet they have the gall to continuously mock China over a road accident, where a toddler was hit by a van... while their fellow Indians are deliberately hunting down Dalit children, cutting out their eyes, and murdering them by burning them alive.

These children were murdered, for the crime of being born into the wrong caste.

Same with China. They are quick to mock us for everything they can find, yet we do not regularly go around burning Dalits to death just because of who they were born as.

yes but we will keep the discussion on this subject only, Dalits have a very tough deal here just like some Muslims do.

I wont even blame religion, some times its the local customs that supersede the religion so you might have a very liberal and accommodating high caste Hindu in a city who might not mind mixing with say Muslims or Dalits but his cousin from rural areas would be very unforgiving about that.

Southern India almost recovered from such attriocities... Particularly my state Tamil Nadu, Coz most of the people are athiests...

These incident happen too rarely and happen in rural areas, India is making great progress, education is the best way to eradicate such practices. The country has done a lot in the past 10 years.

thats true, education and exposure helps a lot but tell you what there are some very highly educated lot that is equally bigoted, racist and criminally insane

case in point the KKK that has allegedly included professors, police captions and senators in America. I think its the mindset and the upbringing. You might come across an apparently illiterate person with best of manners and hospitality and then while in a city you might see a very well suited city trader barging past you and not even stopping to say sorry.

Southern India almost recovered from such attriocities... Particularly my state Tamil Nadu, Coz most of the people are athiests...
Its not about being athiest, I am a Christian, I grew up in a Hindu community but I never saw these kind of things between the people, and my self was never discriminated against.

oh boy I have come across some absolutely rude atheists who will like to shove their belief up your face, looking for any opening to mock a faith. In my opinion Atheism itself is a belief if you know what I mean.
By the way the caste system and local customs are independent of religion in my opinion.

thats true, education and exposure helps a lot but tell you what there are some very highly educated lot that is equally bigoted, racist and criminally insane

case in point the KKK that has allegedly included professors, police captions and senators in America. I think its the mindset and the upbringing. You might come across an apparently illiterate person with best of manners and hospitality and then while in a city you might see a very well suited city trader barging past you and not even stopping to say sorry.

Hate is something that is taught, no one is born with it. If a kid see hate against a group growing up he himself is going to hate those people. Even in the US a lot has changed, sure there are few cases of racism, however they are not as big as they were in the past. People learn to change, the best thing we can do is to teach the next generation to accept each other, no matter the religion, or race.

Its not about being atheist, I am a Christian, I grew up in a Hindu community but I never saw these kind of things between the people, and my self was never discriminated against.

In Tamil Nadu there is some rough edges between Aryans and Dravidians(Descendents of Aboriginal), coz most of us believe after Aryans came to India religions and caste systems were introduced in TN. That's why everyone strongly opposing Hindi also.

Back
Top Bottom