What's new

In Iran, Muslim youth are 'even more excited about Christmas than Christians'

People just wanna have a good time. It's harmless and fun. Best wishes - merry christmas and a Happy New Year... :)
Christians make up less than 1 percent of Iran’s population. And yet the storefronts in Iran’s cities are full of Christmas decorations. So who is supposed to buy them? According to our Observers, the holiday has become very popular with Iranian youth, regardless of their religion.

In recent years, Iranian youth have not only taken to celebrating Christmas, they’ve also begun observing holidays popular in the Western world like Valentine’s Day and Halloween as well as revived many long-forgotten Iranian holidays, like Mehregan, an autumn harvest festival.

"Before, shops were not allowed to sell Christmas decorations, except in Christian districts. Today, they’re sold everywhere"

Andre lives in Isfahan. He is Iranian and Christian.

''Since the last elections, the social atmosphere is much more relaxed. In the years before, the government had become quite strict when it came to holidays, particularly Valentine’s Day and Christmas. Shops were not allowed to sell Christmas decorations, except in Christian districts. Today, they’re sold everywhere.

People here watch a lot of foreign channels on satellite TV, and they see that all over the world, people are in the Christmas mood. Nobody here wants to be behind the rest of the world, particularly the youth who want to stay up to date with international trends. I feel that my non-Christian friends are more enthusiastic about celebrating Christmas than Christians like me! But they look to us to see what we do, and do the same thing, like buying Christmas trees and presents.

Of course, non-Christians mostly look at it as a time to have a party. Many of them don’t even know the story behind Christmas. It’s interesting to note that unlike certain Muslim countries, I have never heard any Muslim Iranian I know say that Muslims should not be celebrating a Christmas holiday. Also, while Christians still represent only a small percentage of the population, there are more and more reports of Christian converts in Iran, so naturally people are starting to learn more about it. [Editor’s Note: Christian converts have beenarrested on a number of occasions, however, according to human rightscampaigners.]

Not all Christians in Iran celebrate Christmas, however. Orthodox Armenians go to mass, but they do not celebrate Christmas beyond that. They celebrate the last day of December, when Christ was baptised.

Myself, I'm not interested in participating in Islamic celebrations. But I do participate in ancient Persian celebrations, such as Chahar Shanbeh Souri [a celebration with fireworks on the last Wednesday of the Persian calendar year] and Nowruz [the Persian New Year]. Holidays bring us Iranians together – especially the younger generation.''

In Iran, Muslim youth are 'even more excited about Christmas than Christians' | The FRANCE 24 Observers

80e69882-b5fd-4acb-9d3c-693ee232f99e_16x9_788x442.jpg

n2584201-3674044.jpg

n2584201-3674054.jpg

n2584201-3674047.jpg

c1071638-9846-48c2-b894-f7510c8b5652_16x9_788x442.jpg

851bad74-b89a-4a17-a2dc-1eb030f542fb_16x9_788x442.jpg

n2584201-3674043.jpg

n2584201-3674064.jpg

n2584201-3674047.jpg

Uhhh, when I was growing up in Iran my family nor anyone I knew celebrated christmas... Oh is this another one of those articles where they take one example from one city (my bets on tehran) and apply it to all of Iran?.... Oh how great!

I really hope Iranians just drop all this worship of foriegn cultures and holidays and just revert back to Zoroastrianism, you know, the monothiestic religion that all the Abrahamic religions copied and degenerated. If not for religion, then atleast for culture.

Uhhh, when I was growing up in Iran my family nor anyone I knew celebrated christmas... Oh is this another one of those articles where they take one example from one city (my bets on tehran) and apply it to all of Iran?.... Oh how great!

I really hope Iranians just drop all this worship of foriegn cultures and holidays and just revert back to Zoroastrianism, you know, the monothiestic religion that all the Abrahamic religions copied and degenerated. If not for religion, then atleast for culture.

What do most Iranians think about Zoroastrianism anyway these days?

Thread title surprise startled and sadden me why in a Muslim country which define it self Islamic country don't bother about their youth who in spite of being Muslim celebrate Christmas.

Some just can't stand to see others enjoying their lives and having a good time. These kind of people usually grow without a childhood and without experiencing things like friendship and love. They only want from others to share their own misery...

Christmas has transformed into a international festivity. And many elements in Christmas has its roots in pre-Islamic Iranian culture.

And rather a western wannabe than a Arab wannabe.

Where does Arab came into the picture?
There is more freedom of Christmas in Arab states, than a closed state like Iran!

you a-rabs would consider both christmas and nowruz as beda'at (بدعت) shyt !!!

He is Pakistani not Arab..... but of course you have a job to hurt the Pakistanis who does not have recommendation letter from your licensed mulla in Pakistan.

what's wrong with celebrating the Christmas?
Nothing... its just new to some people.. same as it is new to Iranians.

Iranians prefer their own zoroastrian festivals such as Nowruz, mehregan, Yalda over Chrismas. However there is not much government education, active support to promote cultural Iranian identity. All Zoroastrian festivals should become official, such as Sadeh festival (jashne sadeh).

Zoroastrian festivals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
No room in the calendar with all the arab festivals and holidays. And arab soosmarkhor culture is worth more these days in Iran than the culture of our own ancestors. They talk about Shahids and fallen soldiers, but the hundreds of millions of Iranian brothers who died defending our lands against foreign hoards aren't worth their praise. Only their own arab tazi soldiers are worth praise and tears.

**** IR.

I happen to know lots of Iranians in Toronto, they all celebrate xmas but not Eid

Back
Top Bottom