What's new

I'm going to settle in Australia - Any Suggestions?

I'm a media person and my wife cares for home and lil baby I have.. my wife has F.A degree (12 years of eduction) and I have Masters degree (16 Years of education). I have some 10+ years of industry experience and have worked in variety of jobs pertaining to media.. from 3D to Marketing and Internet business development.

I would certainly visit New Zealand but may be for holidays as in my opinion Australia would be a better place to work/live because of better economy and more opportunities because of more population.

The guy you are asking probably hasn't even been to Australia, yet your taking what he is saying as fact. Actually ask us Australians instead of taking what trolls say as fact.

Night life in Australia is very safe. I catch trains and walk around on my own at night. That doesn't mean there isn't crime.

Australia has one of the lowest crime rates in the world.

That is what I was thinking, the crime rate in Australia is very low and the place does not have a bad reputation at all.

Of course there will always be some areas where people might have faced problems but in its entirety, the country seems like a great place to visit.

Thanks for your reply, I will definitely visit Australia sometime in the future.

I'm a media person and my wife cares for home and lil baby I have.. my wife has F.A degree (12 years of eduction) and I have Masters degree (16 Years of education). I have some 10+ years of industry experience and have worked in variety of jobs pertaining to media.. from 3D to Marketing and Internet business development.

You certainly have extensive experience and education which can help you a lot in Australia.

Perhaps you should undertake a diploma in media, digital marketing or some other in-demand profession to obtain Australian recognized qualification.

That would certainly help you.

Canada is very cold and I have problems with low temperature.. My computer carrier has effected my shoulders because of prolonged sittings and I feel quite a lot of pain in them during the winter in Pakistan. Canada is a lot more cold so it would be quite hard for me to manage there.

When I was applying for Australian Immigration (in the last quarter of 2008), Canadian Immigration was taking 3.5 years approx to complete. My consultant lied to me and told me that your Australian Immigration will be through in 12-14 months and fell for that. hehe.. anyway.. later on I always found Australia to be a lot more livable than Canada or England and I am happy I have chosen this place.

^^ I hope you won't read all the threads that carelessly.. let the content aside, even in the title I am talking about settling in Australia!

And finally.. are Australians really offensive to Indians? I'm not Indian but I might be taken as being one and if I tell them i'm from Pakistan would that count? :D

Its upto you where it suites better to settle. And about your concern above, Indians still going there.

Welcome, you have made a good choice!

Most of Australia's population is in the state capitals (Sydney 6m, Melbourne 5m, Brisbane 1.5m, Adelaide, Perth and Hobart 1m each). Adelaide, Hobart, Canberra or Darwin will bore you to death. Perth is the best place to live if you are into nature sports (it reminds me of San Diego), but it is by itself on the West coast, and not exactly a media capital. The West coast is less developed and crowded than the East coast, and has lots of natural beauty close by the city. Brisbane has the best weather, but not much else, in my opinion. Most of the Indian/Pakistani community is in Sydney (more families) and Melbourne (more students). Sydney has arguably better weather, and Melbourne does get cold, but nothing worse than Islamabad. It doesn't snow in the major cities -- only in some outer suburbs. I find Sydney to be a generic big city -- fast, dirty, crowded, noisy, expensive -- and Melbourne to be much more livable. If you can get over the weather -- buy a jacket, big deal! -- Melbourne is a much more livable city. It is more relaxed and feels like a small European town despite having all the conveniences of a major city. Sydney, on the other hand, has lots more jobs and commuting to the CBD (central business district = downtown) by ferry is a pretty cool experience!

Australian culture is much less 'sensitive' than US or UK. People here will make jokes that would raise eyebrows in the US, but the Aussies don't mean it negatively. It's more of an attitude of not taking things too seriously.

As for crime, Australia is a very safe place. Naturally, you have to use common sense and avoid poorer neighborhoods late at night, but those neighborhoods are rare. Most places are safe.

Finally, although cricket is popular, it is not the number one sport. In Sydney (New South Wales), people like rugby, and Melbourne (Victoria) is crazy about Footy.

I would certainly visit New Zealand but may be for holidays as in my opinion Australia would be a better place to work/live because of better economy and more opportunities because of more population.

good luck mate! and dont forget to put a ahrimp on the barby!

Initially i'm moving alone but im getting family visa and little family (wife and 2 years old son) would join me 2-3 months later.

Though I have no basic knowledge in Australia, I congratulate your visa approval. In standard for Canada/US/UK, family members or spouse would likely to join their husbands in about six months or so. Are you sure 2-3 months?

I am assuming for your category you have had your qualifications assessed by relevant authorities in Aus before granting your PR. If not as a first step have it assessed. Some of the employers insist on it. Also it will be useful if you can get some references from your bosses from previous/current employment in Pakistan.

From some of the other posts I gather you are moving to Sydney. For your area of expertise Sydney is th best place to begin with. Melbourne is the next. Based on current situation housing rent/purchase is more affordable in Melbourne than Sydney. It is worth keeping Melbourne as a viable option.

For advertised jobs browse the following 2 good job sites:
SEEK - Australia's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site
Jobs, Employment & Careers @ MyCareer

^^ I hope you won't read all the threads that carelessly.. let the content aside, even in the title I am talking about settling in Australia!
I would advise to going to canada, it is a very friendly country with many foreigners and etc. I would much prefer living in canada than the UK... I would never live in Australia ever!

@xdrive....

Hmmmmmmm

And i guess these guys are aliens who came from mars just to beat 2 Indians in a bus! Hmm 7 Vs 2 ....tough guys indeed. And yeah not to forget that they did'nt looted anything from them and there are many many example's like these....

Last edited by a moderator:
@xdrive....

Hmmmmmmm

And i guess these guys are aliens who came from mars just to beat 2 Indians in a bus! Hmm 7 Vs 2 ....tough guys indeed. And yeah not to forget that they did'nt looted anything from them and there are many many example's like these....

What I see in this video is 7 scum bag Australian teenager beating up another Australian.

What YOU see in this video is 7 white teenagers beating up a man that looks of Indian decent.

Who do you think is racist? I would say you and the Indian Media because instead of actually taking the footage for what it is, you take it and spin it around into something else. You see they are different colour to you invent this story that it's some sort of "Racist" attack.

The teenagers in this video were caught by the police and it had nothing to do with racism. But of course, the Indian Media don't retract their lies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom