IAF to induct 200-250 fifth generation fighters

SpArK

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
IAF to induct 200-250 fifth generation fighters

SU_PAKFA_pic_7.jpg

India today said it was looking to induct around 200-250 fight generation fighter aircraft (FGFA), which are being co-developed with Russia.

"We are looking for around 200-250 aircraft," Air Chief Marshal PV Naik told reporters at a press conference for the 78th anniversary of the IAF to be celebrated on the Air Force Day on October 8.

He said the aircraft weighing over 30 tonnes are expected to start joining the force by 2017. :cheers:

Commenting on the capabilities of the most advanced fighter aircraft, Naik said, "It would be a swing-role fighter with highly advanced avionics, giving 360 degree situational awareness, stealth to increase survivability and smart weapons."

:tup:

He added that the aircraft would be capable of covering long ranges without air to air refuelling and will have the super-cruise features along with the highly advanced mission computers. :bounce:

Replying to a query, Naik said in the near future, the IAF fighter fleet would comprise mainly four types of aircraft including the FGFA, Sukhoi-30MKIs, the yet to be procured M-MRCA and the under-development Light Combat Aircraft.

At present, the IAF has seven different types of aircraft in its fighter fleet including the MiGs 21, 23, 27 and 29, Jaguars, Mirage-2000 and the Su-30 MKI.

Asked if the IAF would want to further reduce the variety of fighters with it, Naik said, "the ideal situation would be that I only have one type of aircraft but the world is not ideal". :coffee:

To a query on whether the Strategic Forces Command (SFC) was looking to procure more assets, the IAF chief said, "definitely we will need approval for more assets because the present strength is for meeting our present tasks and for additional tasks, we will require more".

Asked if the selection of the American GE-414 engine for the LCA Mk II 'Tejas' fighter would help two of the aircraft flying with the same engine in the multi-role combat aircraft deal, Naik said, "I don't think so, they are not connected at all".
:tup::tup::tup:

IAF to induct 200-250 fifth generation fighters - India - DNA

^^^

Absolutely Yes.. We can afford and we have the offers from the best.

Able, but is it affordable?

Talking about us...YES ..This is affordable ..About others i cant say..

Plus the chance of F-35 for IAC-II is also very good..So total no. 5th gen can be around 300..:devil:

Replying to a query, Naik said in the near future, the IAF fighter fleet would comprise mainly four types of aircraft including the FGFA, Sukhoi-30MKIs, the yet to be procured M-MRCA and the under-development Light Combat Aircraft.

Quoting this, can somebody enlighten me about whats the expected life span for the upgraded Mirage 2k-5 ???

Quoting this, can somebody enlighten me about whats the expected life span for the upgraded Mirage 2k-5 ???

At least 30 years. I read that these are like completely new Aircrafts. IAF had the option to retire mirage's and go for new fighters, but they concluded that upgrades will make them one of the most potent aircrafts in IAF inventory. These are completely state of the art, some of the best in the world and the price definitely includes some things we dont know of. Plus IAF pilots have good experience in these fighters, including kargil.

The upgrades on MIrage will make it worth another 15 years....or 20 if we extend.

Then why IAF chief ignored it in near future.. a lapse of memory perhaps??

At least 30 years. I read that these are like completely new Aircrafts. IAF had the option to retire mirage's and go for new fighters, but they concluded that upgrades will make them one of the most potent aircrafts in IAF inventory. These are completely state of the art, some of the best in the world and the price definitely includes some things we dont know of. Plus IAF pilots have good experience in these fighters, including kargil.
Bro 30 years will be a little on the higher side, say 15-20 years easily and in good condition. They have projected 2025 is the date this will go on.
Remember the changes are only to avionics and not to teh airframe.

By keeping this aircraft beyond that day will be additional burden for IAF, coz you will see LCA being mass produced, FGFA, Sukhoi, MRCA all will be flying there, by keeping this aircraft so long whose production line is closed you are adding additional burden for maintainance, logistics and support and most importantly pilot safety issues....

Then why IAF chief ignored it in near future.. a lapse of memory perhaps??
Actually Benny, the recent upgrade is not to increase the life span of Mirage. they are bring this fighter to 4th gen standard, something that will go well with MRCA and Sukhois....

They will augment us till we get Full sqadron of MRCA and FGFA and they adios...Just a gap check.

Thanks Dash

Any news about the 40 bombers, the strategic command guys were looking for separably???

Thanks Dash

Any news about the 40 bombers, the strategic command guys were looking for separably???
No news, The RFI will be happening at the end of this year.

Back
Top Bottom