What's new

IAF for new assault rifle

Pakistan paramilitary like Rangers use Sig 551 inducted in small numbers very recently. NSG used it and then upgraded to Sig 553 compact carbine. Aug A3 is damn old and clunky, it was good for a 1998 Black Ops unit. But today rifles half their size like Tavor, SCAR - H (I Love this one 7.62 x 51 + hk 416 like accuracy and rate of fire + 5.56 mode), REC - 7, make it look obsolete.

But the US usually buys them for police units, not military units.

Still, I see your point, and I stand corrected.

There are several German and Belgium contenders for the next US AR competition as well...

PS: Ooops already answered... forget it ^^

The Indian Air Force is looking for a modern assault rifle for its special units (Garud), that should be compact, foldable, easy to carry, handle, operate, simple to maintain and with high range.

Sounds more like a Sniper rifle requirement than assault rifle.
Must have been a reporting glitch.

[/B]
Sounds more like a Sniper rifle requirement than assault rifle.
Must have been a reporting glitch.

Well they've already got the Galil as a Sniper system. If I was to guess I'd say this was an AR competition to replace all the INSAS in IAF service.

Pakistan paramilitary like Rangers use Sig 551 inducted in small numbers very recently. NSG used it and then upgraded to Sig 553 compact carbine.

I've never seen a heard of any Pakistani Military or Police unit using the SG550 series of assault rifles.

Aug A3 is damn old and clunky, it was good for a 1998 Black Ops unit.

AUG A3 has only been around for like 7 years.That's the AUG A1 you are talking about.

But today rifles half their size like Tavor, SCAR - H (I Love this one 7.62 x 51 + hk 416 like accuracy and rate of fire + 5.56 mode), REC - 7, make it look obsolete.

Half the size in what sense?

AUG A1 20" Barrel OAL - 31"
TAR-21 18" Barrel OAL - 28"

AUG A1 Weight - 3.6 KG
TAR-21 Weight - 3.3 KG

Although the AUG A3 does have the TAR-21's feature to change the right hand side ejection to left hand side it's a bit more complicated on the AUG.AUG does have QCB feature wherein the barrel can be changed more easily than TAR-21's.AUG A3 doesn't have the bolt-hold open feature (Present in MSAR civilian variant) and external bolt release (Present in AUG A3SF) which are both present in the TAR-21.In spite of these shortcomings it's still a very good rifle and rifle like the Thales F90 is based on the AUG.

As for the SCAR-H it still doesn't have the common receiver feature which would enable it to have a 5.56 barrel and fire 5.56 rounds from the same SCAR-H receiver when the barrel is changed.

As of now Colt CM901 is the only rifle that fire both 7.62 NATO and 5.56 NATO from the same receiver.Obviously now you'd say other rifles can but they cannot neither can the AK-12.The AK-12's 7.62 NATO and 5.45/5.56/7.62x39mm/6.5 etc rifles would not be compatible although their intermediate cartridge(5.45/5.56/7.62x39mm) AK-12 variants will be compatible with each other and calibers can be changed in those rifles.

I've never seen a heard of any Pakistani Military or Police unit using the SG550 series of assault rifles.

AUG A3 has only been around for like 7 years.That's the AUG A1 you are talking about.

Half the size in what sense?

AUG A1 20" Barrel OAL - 31"
TAR-21 18" Barrel OAL - 28"

AUG A1 Weight - 3.6 KG
TAR-21 Weight - 3.3 KG

Although the AUG A3 does have the TAR-21's feature to change the right hand side ejection to left hand side it's a bit more complicated on the AUG.AUG does have QCB feature wherein the barrel can be changed more easily than TAR-21's.AUG A3 doesn't have the bolt-hold open feature (Present in MSAR civilian variant) and external bolt release (Present in AUG A3SF) which are both present in the TAR-21.In spite of these shortcomings it's still a very good rifle and rifle like the Thales F90 is based on the AUG.

As for the SCAR-H it still doesn't have the common receiver feature which would enable it to have a 5.56 barrel and fire 5.56 rounds from the same SCAR-H receiver when the barrel is changed.

As of now Colt CM901 is the only rifle that fire both 7.62 NATO and 5.56 NATO from the same receiver.Obviously now you'd say other rifles can but they cannot neither can the AK-12.The AK-12's 7.62 NATO and 5.45/5.56/7.62x39mm/6.5 etc rifles would not be compatible although their intermediate cartridge(5.45/5.56/7.62x39mm) AK-12 variants will be compatible with each other and calibers can be changed in those rifles.

They have a thread running with a pic on it replacement of g3 or something.

Pakistan paramilitary like Rangers use Sig 551 inducted in small numbers very recently. NSG used it and then upgraded to Sig 553 compact carbine. Aug A3 is damn old and clunky, it was good for a 1998 Black Ops unit. But today rifles half their size like Tavor, SCAR - H (I Love this one 7.62 x 51 + hk 416 like accuracy and rate of fire + 5.56 mode), REC - 7, make it look obsolete.

Lol.... Nope we use many variants of Sig and even our police and Special forces use them:

Police:

117281211.jpg

117281206.jpg

SSG:

67jus1.jpg

Even armalite is in use:

http://www.defence.pk/forums/pakistan-defence-industry/28411-pakistani-made-sniper-gun.html

They have a thread running with a pic on it replacement of g3 or something.

There is also a tender for a SMG (7.62mm) ... while G3S is gettin inducted:

1gokcl.jpg

gun4l.jpg

Lovely call me when you're sending a tender for multicalibre guns.

Btw even indian police has tavors, SIG553, Barett .50, sig 551 and AR 70/90 and ssg69.

Lovely call me when you're sending a tender for multicalibre guns.

Btw even indian police has tavors, SIG553, Barett .50, sig 551 and AR 70/90 and ssg69.

Do share pics with those weapons... i havent seen indians using any of those even indian army doesnt use them.... You know why? coz they never purchased them !.. except the NSG which used sigs and probably tavors... indian police is still armed with those 303s.

Police modernisation thread running shows em. it's here only around pg 10 - 26

Police modernisation thread running shows em. it's here only around pg 10 - 26

I dont have "fazool" time.. post pictures or links... about (specially) Barett .50,AR 70/90 and ssg69.... along with the versions of sig rifles.

Do share pics with those weapons... i havent seen indians using any of those even indian army doesnt use them.... You know why? coz they never purchased them !.. except the NSG which used sigs and probably tavors... indian police is still armed with those 303s.

Harayana SWAT team:

policecommando4.jpg

CRPF COBRA:

rntrl.jpg

Mumbai Police:

118ojud.jpg

1304361_12543419382500.jpg

@DESERT FIGHTER

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom