What's new

Haryana cops to drop Persian, Urdu words from FIRs

POLICE - Police
ARREST - Arrest/Griftaar (everyone understands Griftaar)
COURT - Court/Adalat
JAIL - Jail

No need for police stations to become language centres. The article makes the point that confusing & unknown words are removed, no need to replace them with even more unknown/unused words. The above words are commonly used & understood and that should be the point behind the exercise.

Urdu has been mistreated in India especially after partition. Many urdu words were forcefully changed.

The problem is that Urdu should not be considered a foreign language in India which in reality is it is considered to be so.

Its like denying a good part of history.

Anyways, good news for Pakistanis especially punjabis who now can claim exclusive rights to this language.

Urdu has been mistreated in India especially after partition. Many urdu words were forcefully changed.

The problem is that Urdu should not be considered a foreign language in India which in reality is it is considered to be so.

Anyways, good news for Pakistanis especially punjabis who now can claim exclusive rights to this language.

And I was under impression that the Urdu from Lucknow is the purest spoken Urdu. I have hard time understanding it. While the Urdu my Pakistani friends speak here, is so close to Hindi!

Anyways, good news for Pakistanis especially punjabis who now can claim exclusive rights to this language

Not true... majority of punjabis still speak punjabi... specially the rural ones... infact recently punjabi language is being "revived" through cultural programs etc... infact more punjabis are actually doing PHDs on it... also its not the mother tongue of 92%+ of the country... we shouldnt force it on others... our own regional languages are also important.. infact i love my mother tongue more than "urdu"...

Not true... majority of punjabis still speak punjabi... specially the rural ones... infact recently punjabi language is being "revived" through cultural programs etc... infact more punjabis are actually doing PHDs on it... also its not the mother tongue of 92%+ of the country... we shouldnt force it on others... our own regional languages are also important.. infact i love my mother tongue more than "urdu"...

I don't know where these Indians get their facts from.

But I find it amusing nonetheless.

Punjabi speaking Punjabi here.

Disagree with you.

Is Punjabi an official language in Punjab along with Urdu?

Speaking Punjabi is no issue. A common urbanized Punjabi is losing his/her heritage as punjabi is not spoken there in the cities which shape a culture.

Disagree with you.

Is Punjabi an official language in Punjab along with Urdu?

Speaking Punjabi is no issue. A common urbanized Punjabi is losing his/her heritage as punjabi is not spoken there in the cities which shape a culture.

I also speak urdu.... did tht change my culture? im still a proud baluch... although i do agree to some extend tht they punjabis are losing it... but to be honest... the ones tht are losing it belong to the "mummy daddy" class... to whom anything except english is "jahalat"... with their fake accents and their mixtured urdu-english bs... their artificiality disgusts me...

I also speak urdu.... did tht change my culture? im still a proud baluch... although i do agree to some extend tht they punjabis are losing it... but to be honest... the ones tht are losing it belong to the "mummy daddy" class... to whom anything except english is "jahalat"... with their fake accents and their mixtured urdu-english bs... their artificiality disgusts me...
I doubt Punjabi will ever be lost IMHO.

You were on the money when you said the vast majority in rural areas speak Punjabi on a day to day basis.

There are more native Urdu speakers in India than in Pakistan.Central India is the birth place of Urdu.It will never be exclusive to Pakistan.
hence dropping the words :laughcry:

Many Indian languages would be considered foreign in other parts of India. I don't think that the problem here is one of a language purity drive, more one of comprehension. The writers of the FIR's seem to be following an old tradition which is all very well but most people in present day Haryana probably don't understand what it means. Do you believe it makes sense to continue doing that?

hence dropping the words :laughcry:

Haryana wouldn't be in central India.......

Damn, totally different than Pakistan

yeah.. we celebrate our diversity.

I don't know where these Indians get their facts from.

But I find it amusing nonetheless.

Punjabi speaking Punjabi here.

How many Punjabi TV channels , news publications and magazines are there in Pakistan?

India, with 1/5th the number of Punjabis compared to Pakistan has atleast 20 newspapers while Pakistan has 2.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Punjabi-language_newspapers

Shows how much importance is given to your mother tongue. Vernacular languages are clearly dying in Pakistan.

Back
Top Bottom