What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still no new informations about the integration of LCA Mk1 radars and avionics?

The Hindu : News / National : India gets naval weapon system to destroy enemy targets

A state-of-the-art facility, dedicated to manufacture of Digital Flight Control Computer (DFCC) for the Light Combat Aircraft (Tejas) at BEL’s Bangalore Complex will also come up.

DFCC is a multiple redundant (improving its reliability, one channel will take over if another fails) digital fly-by-wire flight control system of Tejas, which controls manoeuvring of the aircraft.

DFCC is a flight critical sub-system to be manufactured as per AS 9100 standards with stringent in-process and quality control processes, including environmental tests on each unit.

To meet this requirement, BEL has set up this integrated manufacturing facility for assembly, inspection and testing of DFCC, all under one roof.

The facility includes thermal cycling chamber, vibration machine, dehumidifying chambers for storing PCBs, high resolution inspection tools to identify process errors, automated test equipment for rigorous performance testing and engineering test station for testing the DFCC unit.

EJ 200 and LCA MK2

Shiv Aroor from LiveFist is actually in Germany, to maken an article about the Eurofighter Typhoon in MMRCA.
But in the first part of his article he was able to talk with Euro Jet officials about thr EJ 200 offer for LCA MK2!

...Discussions between the Indian government and Eurojet are currently at the Q&A phase -- a period post-RFP, where the buyer smoothens out details and calls upon the vendor to explain, clarify or expand anything put forth in their technical bid. A few days ago, Eurojet received a set of 32 such questions from the ADA (Tenter says he is surprised there weren't more), out of which 26 are associated with engineering aspects, while the remaining six pertain to transfer of technology issues. Eurojet faces formidable competition to power the LCA from the American General Electric F-414-400.

OK, now here's the juice. According to Tenter and his team, for the Tejas to be able to take in an EJ200 engine, the engine will need "minor" modifications. These include some changing to the mounting assembly, a different hydraulic pump and an additional generator pack for starters. In addition, engine interfaces might need changes depending on how the LCA is configured. All in all, Eurojet believes its tailor-made EJ200 for the LCA can be ready-- certification tests and all -- in two years flat. Officials at the company point out that one of the biggest downers for their competition is that the F-414-400's intake interface assembly is markedly larger than the F-404 (and, thus, the LCA) and its selection would therefore imply some very serious modifications to the LCA's centre fuselage and intake architecture (in addition to the use of a cone director for airflow). Eurojet insists that the EJ200's installation will require absolutely no airframe and intake changes to the LCA. Both contentions remain unconfirmed at this point.

Even though the LCA new-engine competition and the MMRCA competition are linked for Eurojet (the Eurofighter Typhoon is powered by the EJ200), the company has chosen to keep both campaigns strictly separate.

"When we demonstrated the engine's performance to a team from HAL and DRDO in November last year, they were amazed that there was no thrust droop in the EJ200. The engine is designed to compensate for thrust droop," says Tenter, confident that this and a rapid-fire list of other ostensible unique selling points make the Eurojet a frontrunner in the race.

LiveFist - The Best of Indian Defence: TYPHOON TOUR Part 1: Eurojet Heats Up For Tejas

EXCLUSIVE: AESA Programme For Tejas Scans For Development Partner
LiveFist - The Best of Indian Defence: EXCLUSIVE: AESA Programme For Tejas Scans For Development Partner

2f513cd002f2ad7da7ee779b53292088.jpg

4b56d7927ddfbe3a66782db5dbff3bf8.jpg

India's homegrown AESA radar programme appears to be gathering pace. The Bangalore-based Electronics & Radar Development Establishment (LRDE), a laboratory under the DRDO, has invited bids from global radar houses to be the development partner (DP) for India's in-house active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar for the LCA Tejas programme. In a tender issued on December 4 last year, LRDE wants the partnership to be initiated with the supply of an Active Array Antenna Unit (AAAU) supplied by the development partner chosen.

According to the bid invitation, India wants the development partner to be responsible for "detailed design, development and realisation" of (a) antenna panel constisting of main antenna, guard antenna and sidelobe cancellation antenna, (b) transmit/receive modules/groups, (c) RF distribution network consisting of RF manifold/combiners, RF interface, (d) antenna/beam control chain consisting of T/R control and T/R group control, and (e) array calibration/BITE among other areas. The final requirement in the comprehensive list of ten requirements from the development partner is listed as "AAAU Integration on Tejas A/c", confirming that the radar is indeed for a future tranche of the Tejas, or possibly, the Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA).

"DP (development partner) must have experience in design, development, integration, testing and flightevaluation of AESA Radar systems for fighter class of aircraft. DP must ensure that the items/components used for the development of AAAU are not protected by International Traffic in Arms Regulation (ITAR). DP must have delivered AESA class of operational systems for fighter class of aircraft meeting delivery schedules of the international customers," the bid invitation states.

Photos by Shiv Aroor / 1. Raytheon APG-79 AESA antenna modules, Naval Air Station Lemoore, USA & 2. LCA Tejas at Aero India 2009

While I am happy with all the planes that are coming into India like MRCA and the future FGFA, The development that is going on with the LCA TEJAS satisfies me the most. Though its an object of constant ridicule I feel its finally nearing the stage where it will be part of the IAF and I believe it will serve India well.

Its shaping up to be a pretty good fighter.. Even if it took decades but at the time of its induction its a pretty up-to-date fighter for the time.

The AESA news just adds one more dimension to the TEJAS program. It already looks a lovely Bird.. By 2015 if it gets the New Engine and AESA, it would be a pretty potent fighter in its own right. Exciting Prospect this:smitten:

The rear seat don't seems to be able to see the front view

LiveFist - The Best of Indian Defence: LCA Programme To Get Status Check By Defence Minister

Indian Defence Minister AK Antony is scheduled to visit Bangalore tomorrow, during which he will witness a 20-minute flight between 10.30-10.50AM of one of the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas prototypes in flight. He will receive a briefing on the status of the programme from HAL chairman Ashok Nayak and senior officials of the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA). Note, the LCA is to achieve initial operational clearance (IOC) this year. The minister will also, notably, inaugurate a digital flight control computer facility at Bharat Electronics Ltd's Bangalore complex and a system test and integration rig for India's indigenous airborne early warning and control (AEW&C) system at the Centre for Airborne Systems. EADS has confirmed that its consultancy to bring the air force version of the LCA up to speed on its flight trials schedule is active and a team has been embedded in Bangalore for the purpose. Updates and photos tomorrow.

dude this is weekly trial run that happens every two days a week which is close to my college............... i see it every week and more over its not only the LCA i happened to see ALH Dhruvu and the HAL jet trainee and even the MMRCA trial of all the 6 aircraft's when it happened........... its great u know..................

dude this is weekly trial run that happens every two days a week which is close to my college............... i see it every week and more over its not only the LCA i happened to see ALH Dhruvu and the HAL jet trainee and even the MMRCA trial of all the 6 aircraft's when it happened........... its great u know..................

Ever considered investing in a camera and taking a photograph.

I saw today's trial runs, the bird took a hard left over my office (right next to new horizon). gave me goosebumps!!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom