What's new

HAL pegs price of Tejas fighter at Rs 162 crore

Status
Not open for further replies.
IOC is Initial Operational Clearence-Initial Operating Capability (IOC). The state achieved when Military Capability is available in its minimum usefully deployable form.

Technically speaking, LCA is in development stage and therefore cannot achieve IOC. I quote below the requirement for F-35 IOC.

"Air Force F-35A initial operational capability (IOC) shall be declared when the first operational squadron is equipped with 12-24 aircraft, and Airmen are trained, manned, and equipped to conduct basic Close Air Support (CAS), Interdiction, and limited Suppression and Destruction of Enemy Air Defense (SEAD/DEAD) operations in a contested environment."

DoD Announces Services' F-35 IOC Dates | F-35 Lightning II

Superboy

in answer
How so? Tejas has no DSI. That's going to affect its aerodynamics. JF-17 has huge LERX making it extremely agile. Tejas has neither DSI nor LERX. I wouldn't call Tejas airframe advanced. :p:

6 different posters in the last 48 hours have answered this question i suggest you research the follwing

Unstable FCS (Typhoon rafale gripen& tejas) v stable FCS (JF17 f7 mig23 & Mirage series)

compsite airframes v alloy metal airframes

Western engines v russian engines

Israeli radar ew suites v Chinease

You will get all your answers.

For the record seriel production of Tejas as started there a dozen Tejas at various stages on indian ramps a we speak.

Yes indian ramps (not chinease ramps)

systems_tejas.jpg

lsp7tejas-thumb-560x372-154033.jpg

Superboy

in answer

6 different posters in the last 48 hours have answered this question i suggest you research the follwing

Unstable FCS (Typhoon rafale gripen& tejas) v stable FCS (JF17 f7 mig23 & Mirage series)

compsite airframes v alloy metal airframes

Western engines v russian engines

Israeli radar ew suites v Chinease

You will get all your answers.

For the record seriel production of Tejas as started there a dozen Tejas at various stages on indian ramps a we speak.

Yes indian ramps (not chinease ramps)

JF-17 has unstable design and composites. It's EW is no worse than Israeli EW. In fact, it's one of the few fighter jets out there that has MAWS as part of its EW. Even F-16I does not have MAWS. As for Tejas, I'll believe it when I see it. :p:

WOW. 26 million $ for a LCA !

If we pitch 126 Rafale against 800 LCA who would win the battle ?

Hi,

In modern day air warfare---you would be really really surprised at how much damage a lesser number of technically superior aircraft can enforce on technically inferior aircrafts in higher numbers.

It is easier to find 252 pilots and train them to a higher skill level than to train 1600 pilots---basically 2 pilots per aircraft.

Just the overall cost of maintaining those 800 will be outrageous.

Superboy member: 149832 said:
JF-17 has unstable design and composites. It's EW is no worth than Israeli EW. In fact, it's one of the few fighter jets out there that has MAWS as part of its EW. Even F-16I does not have MAWS. As for Tejas, I'll believe it when I see it. :p:

A few composite components..wingtips radome etc.LCA has the highest percentage of Composites among fighters

cacompositei.jpg

Composites doesn't mean much. It doesn't even reduce Tejas weight. Composites are expensive and require a lot more maintenance than traditional materials. :p:

Composites doesn't mean much. It doesn't even reduce Tejas weight. Composites are expensive and require a lot more maintenance than traditional materials. :p:

Really?I have heard that the development of your C919 airliner was in trouble due to delay in composite components.It doesn't even reduce Tejas weight??It requires less maintanence.

Really?I have heard that the development of your C919 airliner was in trouble due to delay in composite components.It doesn't even reduce Tejas weight??It requires less maintanence.

Less maintenance means less employment. Not so good from an economic standpoint. :p:

Last edited:
Superboy.in reply

Are you telling us the desiners of

Typhoon Rafale Gripen Tejas all got it wrong

LCA Tejas - Technology: Composite Materials

This will explain composites in Tejas

LCA Tejas - Technology: Fly by Wire

This will explain FCS ON tejas

LCA Tejas - Technology: Glass Cockpit

Glass cockpit in tejas

I could post a hundred more examples since its a indian indengious fighter theres load of internet info on tejas.

Unlike the JF17 which is all in chinease

Oh my god i , love thiese pictures

17464559_9cSt8F

Technology Demonstrators - Tejas - India's Light Combat Aircraft

They look menacing and ready for war

_MG_0015-L.jpg

What is the black light sort of thing on Tejas tail housing?

_MG_0015-L.jpg

You dnt have to explain yourself..

@Aeronaut ..

lol.. LCA the futuristic jet... which you claim is in production is inferior in all accounts right now!!

JF-17 8.5 Gs... not limited to tht..

"Potential" .. lol even Gripen has 26 deg AOA..

But IAF is looking for a 24° angle of attack.. not 28 deg...

Hard facts..?sources.

No BVR with LCA yet...

JF-17 MAR series,CM400AKG,C series anti ship,LS,Takbir,indigenous PGMs,SOMs like H-4,H-2,SD-10A,PL5 latest versions all completed...and in service.

Newer MAR B version,SD-10B,Darter series on order... Raad ALCM integration started on JF-17.. As per ACM...

LOL..yes it was integrated years ago.. :lol: You are corrected.

Source for 1-4sq/m RCS???

Yup JF-17 yet to "receive FOC.. with JF-17 Block II production started quet a while ago.. :rofl:

P.S: You misquoted this "blog" :

Livefist: What It'll Take For India's Tejas To Be FULLY Ready

>IAF is looking for 24° but
To a question on what was the most difficult part in ‘Tejas’, he said designing and developing “the high angle of attack” and that the team developed its own methodology. This has considerably enhanced the combat performance of the aircraft. With flight control systems, the aircraft maintains an angle and in Tejas the team has designed till 24 degrees, while the aircraft in tests has performed upto 22 degrees(IOC 2 criteria). “We expect it to be at 26 degrees for the full operational clearance (FOC).” The maximum degrees in a fighter aircraft is said to be 28 degrees and the aircraft is likely to get there
Tejas is a contemporary aircraft: ADA Programme Director
- SP's Aviation
:azn:

>Now JF17 production started since 2007 ,even after all those hulla hull ,you guys just assembled 50 Nos. Now 50 aircrafts without BVR ,IFR,basic EW and AOA of just 26°. In simple words IOC 2 equivalent aircrafts still flying in numbers:pakistan:

>.MAR series,CM400AKG,C series anti ship,LS,Takbir,indigenous PGMs,SOMs like H-4,H-2,SD-10A,PL5 latest versions all completed however non of them fitted and flying but too good for static showcase.

>Here we go for Cobam IFR integration Image as old as 2010:lol:

scan0001.jpg

>For extra Gyan
A couple of important pieces of trivia released with IOC 2 press release.
1) Combat radius and ferry range of 500 and 1700 km respectively (internal fuel)
2) Production facility has jigs with laser trackers to ensure tolerance of less than 80 microns. That's not as good as JSF's production facility which has jigs with <50 micron tolerances, but it's a good start anyway.

Transparency is everything in development of Tejas without any boasting or twisted numbers.

Composites pros :.
First of all, composites offer a very high stiffness-to-weight ratio. Very stiff fibers (usually carbon or glass) are embedded in a matrix (usually some sort of plastic).

The fibers provide the stiffness, and the matrix provides the glue to produce a stiff structure that is very light. Plastics and the fibers generally are less dense than metals, but the fibers have greater stiffness, providing for a larger stiffness-to-weight ratio.

Since composites are composed of a matrix reinforced with a fiber, it's rare for large cracks to develop in them.

Small cracks ordinarily stop when they run into a stiff, neighboring fiber. When extreme forces are applied to the structure, composites indeed may crack, but the energy required for complete fracture is significant.

Metals are susceptible to both fatigue and corrosion -- each of which has resulted in high-visibility calamities over the years. The famous Aloha Airlines disaster in the 1980s was the result of fatigue.
Aircraft operate in very corrosive environments, and inspections for corrosion damage are carried out often. Composites don't corrode, which is a plus, and they are also not subject to fatigue damage to the extent of metal structures.

> Composite Weight is way lighter than metal, however LCA Tejas is now only suffers from 500-700 Kg overweight as after IOC 2, Tejas sheds approx 400kgs of Flight telemetry instruments.

And one more thing "jaake mu doh ke aa".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom