What's new

France to provide combat copters

Tiger Test Firing Demonstration

Performing a loop

German Military Firing Demonstration of Tiger Chopper

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe china is more enthusiastic of indirectly buying the copters for pakistan?

Last edited:
France to provide combat copters

By Iftikhar A. Khan and Syed Irfan Raza

Friday, 03 Jul, 2009 | 01:53 AM PST |

ISLAMABAD: France will provide Tiger combat helicopters and military equipment to Pakistan to enhance its capacity to fight terrorism.

This was stated by Admiral Edouard Guillaud, Military Personal Staff Adviser to French President, during a series of meetings he held here on Thursday with top political and military leaders, including President Asif Ali Zardari, Prime Minister Syed Yousuf Raza Gilani, Chairman of Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee Gen Tariq Majid and Chief of the Army Staff Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani.

Official sources said that helicopters to be provided by France would be equipped with ground-to-ground missiles with semi-active laser seekers with a range of over 8km.

The multi-role helicopters have modern avionics and radars and can be equipped with anti-tank missiles.

Admiral Guillaud commended Pakistan’s determination and resolute action to clear its soil of terrorists and eliminate extremism.

An official of the French embassy said the visit of the delegation led by Admiral Guillaud was a follow-up to French visits by President Asif Ali Zardari and Army Chief Gen Kayani.

‘The fight against terrorism is a key matter of concern for the international community. Within the framework of our common goal to fight terrorism, this visit aims at strengthening our bilateral cooperation in the field of defence and security,’ he said.

He said France’s objective was to offer political and military cooperation and support to Pakistani authorities and strengthen their fight against terrorism and extremism.

‘France wishes to contribute to regional security and stability through reinforced dialogue on these matters.’

During the delegation’s meeting with President Zardari, the two sides decided to extend ties, especially in the field of defence, and the use of civilian nuclear technology for peaceful purposes.

President’s spokesman Farhatullah Babar said that matters relating to Pak-France cooperation in different areas, the Friends of Pakistan initiative, rehabilitation of internally-displaced people and fight against militants were discussed at the meeting.

During his meeting with the delegation, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani called for a roadmap for pragmatic cooperation in the field of civil nuclear energy.

He proposed establishment of a working group to work out a plan for nuclear cooperation.

Referring to the army operation against militants in Malakand division and tribal areas, the prime minister urged France and other countries to support Pakistan by providing military equipment and assistance to effectively deal with terrorists.

The prime minister warned against the possibility of militants crossing over into the Pakistani territory, particularly in Balochistan, in the wake of enhanced deployment of US and Nato forces in Afghanistan.

The prime minister thanked France for the assistance it pledged at the Democratic Friends of Pakistan meeting in Tokyo for the displaced people of NWFP and said that Pakistan was looking forward to the visit of President Sarkozy when frameworks on defence and security and counter-terrorism and on economic and energy cooperation would be signed.

Admiral Guillaud said he hoped the two sides would make progress in the field of trade and economy and in civilian nuclear energy cooperation during visit of French Secretary of State for Foreign Trades to Pakistan on July 20.

Admiral Guillaud also called on Gen Tariq Majid, Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee (CJCSC), at the Joint Staff Headquarters. Both leaders exchanged views on regional situation and discussed possible areas of expansion of defence and security cooperation.

Gen Majid thanked the government of France for its political support to Pakistan, approval of 12 million euros as initial humanitarian aid for displaced people of Swat and affirmation of assistance for capacity building of Pakistan forces.

Army Chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani held separate meetings at the General Headquarters with Admiral Guillaud and Gen Stanley McChrystal, Commander of International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), in Afghanistan.

well all respected members, i gues we must not get excited. it may only be a news pointing that the french have no objection in selling us the copters IF we wanna buy them, in that case i dont think we have the money to get them!
also for me tiger is not a wise choice, we can get more WZ10 for the same amount of money or may get some WZ10 and then wait for some ime and get T129 as they would be a better option! tiger is way too expensive, 50 million $ a peice does not make sense to me for a country like ours, that money can be spend on many defence purchases which will be of more significance, i agree that Attack helicopters are one of our prime need, specially keeping in view the type of operation we are engaged in NWFP but for me WZ10 and T129 were better options!

let us discuss the merits and de merits of this news on logical bases rather than just getting excited about it. what do you think?

regards!
regards!

PA's next-gen attack helicopter requirement stood at 30 aircraft in 2006, but it seems the tender wasn't dished out until very recently. Also keep in mind that the French are probably interested in replacing the PA's Puma and PN's Seaking with NH-90 TTH and NFH, respectively. We could see a deal for 20~25 NH-90 TTH & NFH as well as 20~30 Tiger.

But wouldn't the Tiger gunship heli be unfeasible for the current scenario since this would be a completely new platform, whats the chances of that happening we would end up paying something that will effect us in the distant future or so. The heli doesn't look like a all purpose attack copter since it focuses so much on specializing in anti tank attack and has a low radar signature since its body 80% carbon fiber this is a diffident animal to the cobra and its more for an India scenario. The Army is better off purchasing more cobras since we are familiar with the platform it enhance our current ability it has been such a effective weapon against the terrorist.

Last edited:
Breaking News
Hey we r getting the Eurocopter Tiger Attack Helicopter from France:cheers::pakistan::flame:
Congradulation to All Fellow Pakistanis

Here is the Link
DAWN.COM | Pakistan | France to provide combat copters
fc256c5fc70cc95134ebf2703f8534c6.jpeg

Wouldn't the main advantage of Tiger for the PA (apart from its being new and therefore spending less time in maintenance, more time flying combat missions) be its ability to deploy the Hellfire anti-tank missile? I've read the Hellfire can rip through the very latest and strongest tank armour due to the size of its warhead, whereas its lighter predecessor, the TOW, would struggle if not fail to do so. PA's current Cobra fleet can't carry Hellfire it because they are too small and weak (single engine).

It really sucks that they have to shell out so much cash for new choppers. They missed out on Rooivalk and now they're missing out on WZ-10. I think it would be ideal if the Chinese could build a fleet of WZ-10 without engines and deliver them to Pakistan, then Pakistan order the engines it was designed for from the supplier (Pratt & Whitney based in Canada) and install them.

I doubt whether purchasing Tigers would be the best step for the military. For them to have a significant impact, Pakistan will have to purchase 10 or 15 and each Tiger is more expensive then a F16. Setting its excellent capabilities aside, spending so much money during difficult economic times may not be wise, the opportunity cost is likely to be very high.

I doubt whether purchasing Tigers would be the best step for the military. For them to have a significant impact, Pakistan will have to purchase 10 or 15 and each Tiger is more expensive then a F16. Setting its excellent capabilities aside, spending so much money during difficult economic times may not be wise, the opportunity cost is likely to be very high.

they will be former french army examples, upgraded for USD 5-8m each - PAA is interested in 1 sqdn of 18 helos!

SummerWine sorry bande i made a mistake...shoot me...lol..i looked at the first few threads..it was not there......thus i posted it...and buddy i have been checking defence.pk since early 2006 almost everyday

Back
Top Bottom