What's new

Export bids for JF-17 Thunder Multirole Lightweight Fighter Aircraft

View attachment 483061

https://pakobserver.net/zimbabwe-air-force-commander-visits-air-headquarters/

Zimbabwe Air Force Commander visits Air Headquarters

June 26, 2018

Islamabad

Air Marshal Elson Moyo, Commander Air Force of Zimbabwe visited Air Headquarters Islamabad on Monday. On his arrival at Air Headquarters, the distinguished guest was received by Air Chief Marshal Mujahid Anwar Khan, Chief of the Air Staff, Pakistan Air Force. A smartly turned out contingent of Pakistan Air Force presented the Guard of Honour.

He laid floral wreath on the Martyrs’ Monument to pay homage to the PAF personnel who laid down their lives for the defence of the motherland. He was also introduced to the Principal Staff Officers of Pakistan Air Force.

Later on, Commander Air Force of Zimbabwe called on Air Chief Marshal Mujahid Anwar Khan in his office. Both the dignitaries remained together for some time and discussed matters of professional and mutual interest. Commander Air Force of Zimbabwe lauded PAF’s role in fighting the war against terrorism and also appreciated the sound professionalism of PAF personnel. Highlighting the cordial relations between Pakistan and Zimbabwe, the Air Chief offered support and cooperation in the field of military training to Air Force of Zimbabwe.
I dont know know but long before we used to pick up Pak pilot chatter in the 80s while flying during our routine monitoring in my unit. Not sure if they are still around; i dont think they are there anymore.

I dont know know but long before we used to pick up Pak pilot chatter in the 80s while flying during our routine monitoring in my unit. Not sure if they are still around; i dont think they are there anymore.
I think we have a few instructors at the staff colleges. I don't think they are at the bases on the aircraft

Saudis might purchase JF-17 as part of insurance policy if USA follows European weapons embargo.

Trump already said he isn't gonna stop the flow of $110 billion in his country.
Saudis were customers of Eurofighter which is not coming after Germany decided to halt sales. Congress is moving a bill regardless of trump so it is just a thought at this point that Saudis might consider an insurance policy of few jets for such times. The probability is high. Trump will not stop sales but midterm are here and a lot of stuff is going down in USA, they are unpredictable. There is a high chance.

Saudis were customers of Eurofighter which is not coming after Germany decided to halt sales. Congress is moving a bill regardless of trump so it is just a thought at this point that Saudis might consider an insurance policy of few jets for such times. The probability is high. Trump will not stop sales but midterm are here and a lot of stuff is going down in USA, they are unpredictable. There is a high chance.
Keeping Trump happy with more and more billions may cross the point of the marginal utility!!! On top of it the "two weeks" notice!!! And, the audio-visuals from the Fall of the Shah....

Exports bids for the JF17 will be limited to Asian and African countries who cannot afford the luxury of western military aircraft. Pakistan cannot compete with the Big4 aerospace giants of the US, Russia, UK and France. that's why the China - Pakistan marketing JV was setup to support the sales of the JF17.

Fatman17 is right, JF-17's objective has always been to equip PAF, the additional orders are bonuses.

Availability of UCAVs have lessened chances of Gulf orders but it still will offer the ability to carry the type of weapons western suppliers refuse to supply. Gulf orders threaten US interests so should not be pushed for. JF-17 exports prospects will dramatically change once Block-3 is operational and it has to be remembered there will be NG variants of JF-17 in form of future blocks. PAF was never interested in a JF-17B and it was developed for a export client request, so will soon find out which nation it was intended for. If there was real desperation for orders JF-17 would have been offered to Iran which will not happen because of the host of problems it will create for the future of this jet. Patience needed.

Last edited:
Instead of pushing the JF-17 to Saudi Arabia, Pakistan will be better off buying the IP of the J-31 and then asking the Saudis to join the project by securing western engines and avionics for the plane. It will fit nicely with MBS ambitions of turning Saudi Arabia into a manufacturing hub and will also help Pakistan gain a 5th gen fighter plane that it owns and can produce in great numbers. More importantly, RSAF gains a stealth fighter which it currently lacks and which Israel and Turkey deploy.

Back
Top Bottom