What's new

Eurofighter Typhoon tranche 3

well i don't know what these article says but i know a person who is an engineer by profession and works near one of the air bases of KSAF where f-15's are stationed he told me that f-15's after every sortie are maintained by Americans and there are many Americans present on KSAF airbases

well brother i think the pics proof the oppisite

When issues of maintenance are discussed about the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia there is one name that comes to the fore. Jon Lake met with Alsalem Aircraft Company to find out what makes it tick.

Despite the global economic climate, 2009 has been a very good year for Alsalam, according to Mohammed Fallatah, president and CEO of the Riyadh-based company.

“We have had a 15-20 per cent improvement in revenue and in profits and we are investing in the growth of the company and our people, who are our biggest resource,” said Fallatah. “We are looking forward to more involvement in manufacturing, final assembly of aircraft and a growing VIP aircraft business.”

The Alsalam Aircraft Company was formed in 1988 and Boeing’s Integrated Defense Systems’ Global Services and Support division remains a majority shareholder. Unsurprisingly, the core of the company’s initial work was on Boeing platforms but it has become much more than a Boeing partner company, respected as such by its partners and competitors, and is now a profitable and independent entity in its own right.

“Our work philosophy – our business philosophy – is that yes, we were established as an offset company at the beginning, with the help of the Government and our partners, but at the end of the day we have to be a business-run company. We have to add value for our customers and our shareholders. That is very important for us and if those things are not there, at the front, the relationship cannot last. So while we were established with Government help, that cannot make us survive for ever; we have to be a business, we have to win business on our merits – because we are Alsalam.”

“A lot of the work I’m getting is nothing to do with Boeing, oddly. The Royal Saudi Air Force is my biggest customer and BAE is my second biggest,” Fallatah said.

Thus, while the company’s military activities naturally include providing maintenance and support for the Boeing-supplied aircraft serving with the RSAF, including the F-15C/D/S Eagle/Strike Eagle, AH-64 Apache, and E-3A Sentry at its facility at King Khaled International Airport in Riyadh, it has also won contracts to provide programmed depot maintenance (PDM) for other aircraft. These include the 50-aircraft RSAF Lockheed C-130 fleet and all RSAF and Royal Saudi Land Forces Aviation Command helicopters, including the Bell 412, 212, 206 and 406, UH-60 and Blackhawk, and VIP-configured Agusta-Sikorsky ASH-3D, as well as the AH-64. Alsalam also supports the RSAF’s British-supplied Tornados using its facilities at Dhahran.

But Alsalam has already moved beyond simple depot maintenance, helped in part by the drive by BAE Systems to bring more engineering to the kingdom as part of what it calls the development of a ‘home market’. The intention is to make its operations in the kingdom self-sufficient in providing assembly, maintenance, repairs and overhaul, creating a local industrial base. Alsalam is a key partner for BAE in this area.

Alsalam is also well into re-engineing the RSAF’s F-15S aircraft, having finished re-engineing the aircraft based at Dhahran, and now being well into the process of re-engineing the aircraft at Khamis Mushayt, expecting to complete the programme in early 2010.

Alsalam also partnered with Boeing to install Link 16 on board Saudi Arabia ’s fleet of five E-3 AWACS aircraft, with the first being upgraded in Seattle, and the remainder following in-country, with unparalleled levels of security. The overall programme was completed one-and-a-half months ahead of schedule (with each aircraft on time or ahead of time), an achievement saluted by Torbjorn Sjogren, vice president of Boeing International Support Systems. Link 16 is also being installed on the RSAF’s F-15s.

The company is, as well, heavily involved in the Tornado Sustainment Programme (TSP) – a two stage upgrade that aims to equip the RSAF Tornado IDS fleet with a range of enhanced targeting equipment and new precision-guided weapons. This is a more major upgrade and includes electrical and structural work.

Alsalam also uses its three climate-controlled wide-body hangars in Riyadh (each capable of housing B747-400 sized aircraft) for the maintenance and modification of commercial aircraft, including a growing number of VIP completions.

Even on the commercial side Alsalam is not limited to Boeing airliners, working on the A300 and actively looking for EASA certification on the A320 family in 2010 – primarily the A318, 319 and 320.

And Alsalam is moving away from heavy maintenance of large airliners, turning its attention to VIP aircraft completions and maintenance, and to component manufacturing and even airframe final assembly, while maintaining a heavy presence in military aircraft upgrades and maintenance.

Alsalam is an active player in the kingdom’s ‘Saudization’ strategy and has an aggressive ‘Saudization’ programme that extends throughout the company at all levels. As a result of this, and of the company’s hard-won reputation for quality, it is a natural choice for the most prestigious local programmes.

It has been widely reported that Alsalam will be heavily involved in the local manufacture of the RSAF’s second batch of 48 Eurofighter Typhoons, but Fallatah was coy. “We are hopeful that we will be part of the Typhoon final assembly in-country, whenever it takes place. We have the indigenous capabilities, we have the Saudi nationals who can do this work – 60 per cent of our workforce are Saudis. We have the facilities to do this, and if we don’t we could make it! I am always hopeful,” he said.

Fallatah suggested that the existing RSAF facility at Dhahran “could be made suitable” for Typhoon final assembly, pointing out that there are “engineering ways of doing things differently to the way they do things at BAE Warton, with sophisticated laser alignment, and if you go to the German Eurofighter assembly line, it’s not similar to Warton, it’s a different set up”.

But while Alsalam is committed to ‘Saudization’ of its workforce, the company has ambitious plans to expand its customer base far outside the kingdom.

Though much of Alsalam’s work comes from operators within the kingdom – the Royal Saudi Air Force on the military side and Saudia on the civil – the company is increasingly working with customers from outside Saudi Arabia . “Air Atlanta sends its 747s to us all the way from Iceland – we’re very proud of that,” Fallatah observed.

Fallatah also hinted broadly that some of the company’s VIP completion work had been for non-Saudi government/head-of-state aircraft.

Alsalam’s success is founded on a real commitment to engineering excellence – Fallatah himself is an ex Saudia aircraft electrical technician and subsequently engineer – and customer service.

“When I get a repeat customer he is coming back because he sees quality work, because he is getting value for money and because he sees an environment where he is welcome and where he is taken care of.”

Alsalam justifies its CEO’s proud boast to be the Middle East ’s leading provider of heavy maintenance, repair and overhaul for both wide- and narrow-body aircraft, and of programmed depot maintenance and technical support for military aircraft, fixed wing and rotary. The company aims to move increasingly into manufacturing – particularly of components and composites.

Arabian Aerospace - Alsalam striving to add value from VIP to Defence

getAsset.aspx

well i don't know what these article says but i know a person who is an engineer by profession and works near one of the air bases of KSAF where f-15's are stationed he told me that f-15's after every sortie are maintained by Americans and there are many Americans present on KSAF airbases

Saudis have their own facilities to maintain F-15s and Tornados , back in the days BAE , and Boeing crew used to take care of them but now Saudis are well on their way towards indigenous air craft maintenance and manufacturing.

Be advised , you can ask anything from our saudi brother but do NOT say anything against the F-15 , he loves his F-15s. :lol:

Well you said that

Even today f-15's are maintained by Americans after every sortie

i post this to tell you that saudi are capable to maintain support there aircraft

pl02.jpg

where do saudis get the spares from.....they dont have a manufacturing plant for the spares...!!!

Saudis have their own facilities to maintain F-15s and Tornados , back in the days BAE , and Boeing crew used to take care of them but now Saudis are well on their way towards indigenous air craft maintenance and manufacturing.

Thats because according to WikiLeaks many of Saudis are on CIA payrolls not; but CIA agents as well:coffee:

my question to saudi bro, will you allow us to use some of your typhoons in case pakistan engages in war??

Seems like EUMA or other Military hardware foreign sales agreements does not applied to Pakistan and Saudi :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom