What's new

Egypt | Army Ousts Mursi govt, violence erupts | News & Discussions

Senate kills Rand Paul attempt to cut Egypt aid

The vote was to table the amendment, meaning a “yea” vote was against Paul’s plan. The vote was 86-13.

The floor debate was virtually everyone versus Paul. Sens. John McCain (R-Ariz.) and Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.) said cutting off aid to Egypt would also hurt Israel, a close ally.
“This is a question of whether the senator from Kentucky knows what’s better for Israel, or if Israel knows what’s better for Israel,” McCain said.
On multiple occasions, when asked to yield for questions – including one from McCain – Paul said “not now” and continued imploring his colleagues to see his side.
Inhofe, the top Republican on the Senate Armed Services committee, said some of Paul’s points are “totally wrong” and said if the U.S. cuts aid to Egypt, the money “vacuum” will quickly be filled by other countries like Russia. Such a series of events could then harm Israel, he said.
“This is coming from a conservative, not a liberal, not a Democrat,” Inhofe said. “If you have any feelings at all for our best friends in the Middle East — that’s Israel — then you can’t consider this amendment. Israel has all the interests at stake.”

Read more: Senate kills Rand Paul attempt to cut Egypt aid - Burgess Everett - POLITICO.com

Why U.S. Aid to Egypt Is Here to Stay

But most Democrats and Republicans continue to believe revoking aid would deprive Washington of what Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Bob Menendez recently called its “leverage” over Egypt’s generals. As my colleague Michael Crowley noted, Washington also sensitive to the aid’s connection to the 1978 Camp David Accords establishing peace between Israel and the Arab world’s most populous state.

U.S. aid also buys valuable cooperation between the Pentagon and SCAF, Egypt’s Supreme Council of Allied Forces, including joint counter-terrorism operations in Egypt’s Sinai desert, a hotbed of Islamic militant activity. It also allows U.S. aircraft overflight privileges in Egyptian airspace, and gives U.S. vessels priority passage through the Suez Canal. In fact, the U.S. is the world’s only nation entitled to “cut the line” at the crowded canal – usually months long – and to sail nuclear-armed and powered vessels through it. (Other nuclear powers must send their Middle East-bound ships around the horn of Africa – a long and costly round trip.)

Read more: http://swampland.time.com/2013/07/31/why-u-s-aid-to-egypt-is-here-to-stay/#ixzz2adxcs1Uc

Egyptians in USA demonstrate in support of Egyptian Army and support for Syria and the Syrian President

Last edited by a moderator:
@kalu_miah

Hey there,

I apologize for not getting back to you on time, life has been crazy these two days as Ramadan keeps moving fast and forward to its end, getting ready for my holiday.

Neither the EU or the US should dictate what the Egyptian should do and what they shouldn't. The US, Israel, and Egypt are expected to honor the Camp David agreement, but according to US military aid terms and conditions, the US would be able to suspend its military aid to a country which its military has overthrown its Government - usually civilian governments -

Al-Nour party appears to be divided wether to join the provisional Gov't or not, pushing toward election. Some of Al-Nour figures had already stressed out the need for a national unity these days, but, due to the MB's disposal of power, Al-Nour had rejected the Sisi's first call, but later agreed to hold talks for making some sort of concession. Today, the situation appears to be a little bit complicated in there, but I support the promptness and the determination by the civilians and the military to counter the havoc that has been created by the MB and their supporters, the situation appears to be unbearably difficult to all parties involved.

One of the most notable Salafi figures had been extremely critical with the MB behavior these days, let's be fair, Abu Ishaq Al Heweny isn't a leftist, or liberal, or a member of the MB, or a military figure. He put it as simple as this in his own Salafistic way that " God - or Allah - had given the MB the power to rule Egypt, and they failed, and he took it away from them to give them a lesson "

Even though that I'm not a conservative but the man did put it plainly and simply. The MB has to behave maturely, let go, the vast majority of the Egyptian people don't want you to remain in power any longer.

As for the role that KSA may play to stabilize Egypt, I think the Egyptian people enjoy their own right to allow us in or it. But, it is highly unlikely that the AL or other GCC State would get involve in Egypt's internal affairs, KSA is exceptional.

@kalu_miah

Hey there,

I apologize for not getting back to you on time, life has been crazy these two days as Ramadan keeps moving fast and forward to its end, getting ready for my holiday.

Neither the EU or the US should dictate what the Egyptian should do and what they shouldn't. The US, Israel, and Egypt are expected to honor the Camp David agreement, but according to US military aid terms and conditions, the US would be able to suspend its military aid to a country which its military has overthrown its Government - usually civilian governments -

Al-Nour party appears to be divided wether to join the provisional Gov't or not, pushing toward election. Some of Al-Nour figures had already stressed out the need for a national unity these days, but, due to the MB's disposal of power, Al-Nour had rejected the Sisi's first call, but later agreed to hold talks for making some sort of concession. Today, the situation appears to be a little bit complicated in there, but I support the promptness and the determination by the civilians and the military to counter the havoc that has been created by the MB and their supporters, the situation appears to be unbearably difficult to all parties involved.

One of the most notable Salafi figures had been extremely critical with the MB behavior these days, let's be fair, Abu Ishaq Al Heweny isn't a leftist, or liberal, or a member of the MB, or a military figure. He put it as simple as this in his own Salafistic way that " God - or Allah - had given the MB the power to rule Egypt, and they failed, and he took it away from them to give them a lesson "

Even though that I'm not a conservative but the man did put it plainly and simply. The MB has to behave maturely, let go, the vast majority of the Egyptian people don't want you to remain in power any longer.

As for the role that KSA may play to stabilize Egypt, I think the Egyptian people enjoy their own right to allow us in or it. But, it is highly unlikely that the AL or other GCC State would get involve in Egypt's internal affairs, KSA is exceptional.

Thanks for your kind response bro. As explained in earlier posts, I also wished and hoped that MB would not choose the path of confrontation and in the process hurt themselves and the country. But they are who they are, if not they could probably avoid this situation in the first place.

Regardless of their mistakes, they have an image of fighting for the common disenfranchised and poor Muslim simple folk. And they or different incarnation of the same group may come out the winner eventually after decades, just like AKP did in Turkey. But then Egypt is not Turkey and I do not have the crystal ball, its just one of the possibilities. So considering this eventual turn of event of MB incarnations prevailing the winner in the end, even if it has small probability of becoming true, I think all parties involved, secular/liberal Egyptian Muslims, Salafi groups, Army top brass, security forces and external players (GCC and West) - need to handle MB with care. Sisi policies of cracking down on MB, arrest MB leaders and killing MB protesters, I think will come back to haunt him and his backers.

You're welcome my fellow. I wished that the MB didn't bring it to this level of unrest, but they pushed to the limits and now they are paying for it.
Thanks for your kind response bro. As explained in earlier posts, I also wished and hoped that MB would not choose the path of confrontation and in the process hurt themselves and the country. But they are who they are, if not they could probably avoid this situation in the first place.

Regardless of their mistakes, they have an image of fighting for the common disenfranchised and poor Muslim simple folk. And they or different incarnation of the same group may come out the winner eventually after decades, just like AKP did in Turkey. But then Egypt is not Turkey and I do not have the crystal ball, its just one of the possibilities. So considering this eventual turn of event of MB incarnations prevailing the winner in the end, even if it has small probability of becoming true, I think all parties involved, secular/liberal Egyptian Muslims, Salafi groups, Army top brass, security forces and external players (GCC and West) - need to handle MB with care. Sisi policies of cracking down on MB, arrest MB leaders and killing MB protesters, I think will come back to haunt him and his backers.

I don't think the West will help the Egyptians, they will only offer a lip-service demanding the release of Morsi, and trust me, I have dealt with those military men, they're hot-headed, become more aggressive when it comes to their own homeland. The Egyptian Military feels guilty that it didn't stop the local police when they cracked down on the Egyptian people during Jan 25 revolution, as we call it, it is the same guilt that KSA feels when they isolated themselves in 2011.

Even if Gen. Sisi is going to be hunted down by the MB or whatever, it won't make much of a difference to those who regard him as a national hero for what he stood for. Plus, he doesn't bear the full responsibility for what is taking place, the provisional Gov't is in the game already.

560013_552777191424432_1895440752_n.png
:D

PUTTING EGYPT IN CONTEXT – WHAT IF PRESIDENT OBAMA DID WHAT MORSI DID?

I received this from an Egyptian friend and I would like to share it with as many Americans as possible to help them unravel the events in Egypt.

I changed very little, only a few things to make it an easier read. So here’s exactly what happened in Egypt over the past 12 months, but expressed in “American” terms (such as substituting U.S. President Barack Obama’s name for that of deposed Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi).

There are no exaggerations or lies. All these events actually took place in Egypt.

Try to imagine if …

On June 30, 2012, democratically elected Barack Obama wins the election by a razor thin margin of 50.7% of the vote, takes the oath, and is sworn in as president of the United States.

The first five months of his term go relatively smoothly, where he makes almost no decisions (except for some dubious presidential pardons to a dozen convicted terrorists, including some convicted for their part in the assassination of a former president, and issues pardons to a number of convicted criminals and drug dealers ).

Suddenly, on Nov. 21, 2012, and despite his razor thin victory margin, President Obama issues a presidential decree giving himself sweeping powers, to the extent that his future decrees become un-contestable in any court, beyond all judicial review and in effect his decisions henceforth are akin to the word of God. His laws are a new Bible.

Nationwide protests erupt as a result of this decree and 1.5 million Americans organize a sit-in at the White House to peacefully request he rescind his presidential decrees.

Some of Obama’s hard line Democratic Party supporters attack the peaceful sit-in outside the White House with guns and shoot five peaceful protesters dead.

A few weeks later demonstrators of the hard core Democratic Party surround the U.S. Supreme Court, preventing the justices from convening so as to prevent any judicial review of the president’s decisions. Instead of protecting the judiciary, Obama dissolves the U.S. Supreme Court and labels its members all “traitors to America.”

One short week later, he fires the U.S. Attorney General and personally appoints a Democratic partisan to replace him without going through the Constitutional due process.

A month later, he annuls the U.S, Constitution and forms a “constitutional committee” to draft a new constitution in four days, (the committee includes no Republicans or Independents, no Muslims or Jews, and only a handful of women … and is composed primarily of Democrats & religious hardline preachers).

In a referendum not supervised by any judicial branch ( as judges all over the U.S. boycotted the process ), this constitution narrowly wins, and President Obama ratifies it the very next morning (despite it having only receiving the approval of 18% of all Americans).

Within a month, he invites top global terrorists, known jihadists and al-Qaeda members, from all over the world, to a rally in Yankee Stadium, where he cuts ties with and declares war on Canada.

Throughout this whole time, the U.S. economy is sinking, the stock market collapsing, foreign investment has all but stopped, tourism has died, and electricity, fuel, and water shortages are a daily occurrence.

Unemployment has almost doubled, and the U.S. dollar has lost 20 percent of its value globally.

Oh, and President Obama also outlines his new plans to lease the entire Silicon Valley area to China for 50 years (with full administrative control)…

With only .07% majority, democratically elected President Barack Obama has done all the above in his FIRST YEAR IN OFFICE!!!

Ultimately, on June 30, 2013, 110 million Americans take to the streets in 50 states to peacefully and politely demand — for four straight days — that democratically elected President Obama leave office immediately, and that he not serve his remaining three years.

Instead of listening to the people, President Obama goes on TV during prime time hours and threatens the nation with veiled and not-so-veiled threats.

To protect the 110 million Americans, the Joint Chiefs of Staff of the U.S. military ask Obama to step down, and because Congress was dissolved earlier this year due to the unconstitutionality of its election, the country is turned over to the chief justice of the Supreme Court.

That’s it in a nutshell.

Who would you say had “legitimacy” in this case if it had been America?

“Democratically” elected President Barrack Obama, or the 110 million Americans who, in effect, fired him?

Putting Egypt in Context – What If President Obama Did What Morsi Did? | TheBlaze.com

Can any pro-Morsi member gives me his/her take on this ?!!

I don't think the West will help the Egyptians, they will only offer a lip-service demanding the release of Morsi, and trust me, I have dealt with those military men, they're hot-headed, become more aggressive when it comes to their own homeland. The Egyptian Military feels guilty that it didn't stop the local police when they cracked down on the Egyptian people during Jan 25 revolution, as we call it, it is the same guilt that KSA feels when they isolated themselves in 2011.

Even if Gen. Sisi is going to be hunted down by the MB or whatever, it won't make much of a difference to those who regard him as a national hero for what he stood for. Plus, he doesn't bear the full responsibility for what is taking place, the provisional Gov't is in the game already.
I think we can both be thankful - for now - that the likes of Anwar Gargash and King Abdullah have more say in the direction of Egyptian affairs than the current U.S. and Turkish presidents or Pakistan's foreign ministry.

I think we can both be thankful - for now - that the likes of Anwar Gargash and King Abdullah have more say in the direction of Egyptian affairs than the current U.S. and Turkish presidents or Pakistan's foreign ministry.
Can you please explain to me what is the US thinking by supporting the Muslim Brotherhood ?!!

Obama administration losing credibility in Cairo
WASHINGTON — The administration of President Barack Obama has seen the deterioration of U.S. influence in Egypt under the new military-backed regime.
Officials acknowledged that the head of the military coup that ousted President Mohammed Morsi has been resistant to U.S. pleas and even threats to end the crackdown on the Muslim Brotherhood.
The officials said Defense Minister Abdul Fatah Sisi, who ordered the overthrow of Egypt’s first Islamist president, has told the administration that he would not tolerate U.S. interference in his country.
“There is a complete gap in perception,” an official said. “The administration sees what happened in Egypt as the destruction of a budding democracy, while the [Egyptian] military believes that it saved the country from turning into another Libya or Syria.”
Officials said the U.S. intelligence community and State Department issued what turned out to be a mistaken assessment of Sisi. They said the State Department had reckoned that Sisi, who spent years in U.S. military schools, would be more supportive of cooperation with Washington than his predecessors.
“Sisi has been dismissive of U.S. concerns and his response to us has been much harsher than either Morsi or [his predecessor Hosni]
Mubarak,” a second official said.
“Ironically, Sisi has used his considerable knowledge of and contracts in Washington to resist any U.S. pressure,” the official said. “He knows our vulnerable points.”
In July, Sisi received numerous phone calls from leading U.S. officials,
including President Barack Obama. Most of the phone calls came from Defense
Secretary Chuck Hagel, Secretary of State John Kerry and U.S. ambassador to
Egypt, Anne Patterson, with a peak in communications reported on July 27
when at least 75 people were killed in clashes between Brotherhood
protesters and security forces.
The latest telephone conversation by Hagel and Sisi took place on July
30. Officials said Hagel again urged restraint by Egyptian security
forces in dealing with the Brotherhood.
“Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel spoke by phone today with Egyptian
Defense Minister Gen. Abdul Fatah El Sissi to discuss the security situation
in Egypt and to urge restraint by Egyptian security forces in dealing with
ongoing protests,” Pentagon spokesman George Little said.
Officials said Sisi has also not been swayed by threats by Congress to
suspend annual U.S. aid of $1.5 billion to Egypt. They said the defense
minister demonstrated his clout when he won pledges of $12 billion from such
Gulf Cooperation Council allies as Egypt, Kuwait and the United Arab
Emirates.
“The truth is we don’t have a lever over him,” the official said.
“He has the lever over us.”
On July 30, Obama asked two leading Republican senators to visit Egypt
and meet Sisi. Sen. Lindsey Graham said he and Sen. John McCain, both deemed
supporters of Egypt’s military, would relay a message to Sisi to
arrange for new elections after the ouster of Morsi.
“We want to deliver a unified message that killing the opposition is
becoming more and more like a coup,” Graham said. “…I’d like to go over
there and talk to the military and to any members of the government and
Brotherhood factions to find out what is going on the ground, and send a
clear message to the people in charge of Egypt that there are certain
expectations here in America that are bipartisan in nature.”
Officials said the administration and the congressional leadership have
agreed that Egypt’s lever over Washington was U.S. military access to the
Suez Canal. They said any Egyptian halt or even reduction to the canal would
threaten the war in Afghanistan as well as plans by Obama for a withdrawal
in 2014. On July 30, an explosion was reported near the Suez Canal.

Obama administration losing credibility in Cairo | World Tribune

Can you please explain to me what is the US thinking by supporting the Muslim Brotherhood ?!!
It's ugly: appeasing terrorists.

The Obama administration has urged the Egyptian military to stop using heavy-handed tactics against the Muslim Brotherhood, according to two U.S. officials who asked not to be identified commenting on private communications. They said the U.S. is concerned that some in the military may want to provoke the Islamists to violence and provide a rationale for crushing the movement once and for all.
Such a move would fail and probably prompt a shift to al-Qaeda type terrorist tactics by extremists in the Islamist movement in Egypt and elsewhere, the U.S. officials said.

In other words, Obama's afraid that if he doesn't support M-B then fanatics might try blowing people up here in the U.S. Muslims do not have a monopoly when it comes to appeasing terrorists. That probably also suffices to explain half of Obama's Israel and Turkey policies.

Back
Top Bottom