What's new

Drinking liqour is not Haram - Federal Shariat Court

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buying- selling of alcohol is Haram in Islam- so whats the problem if there is a law telling us exactly that?- After all the laws are meant to reinforce isn't it?-

Exactly. Let it be, and just guide and educate people properly, that is all. After all, self-inflicted damages are by definition self-limiting.

All the education in the west has not stopped people from harming themselves. How do you think it will stop People in Pakistan ?

In order to understand the teachings of Islam you have to understand the logic behind its rulings. Islam understands that for every act of moderation(for instance 95% of christians always drink in moderation and dont get intoxicated, but 5%do and get addicted) there will be a small minority that would not be able to control themselves. So Islam's answer is to abstain from a potentially bad act which might bring harm to some of the people. It is because till such time that you start , you will never know how you will behave. This principle is the basis of all the commands that Islam enforces on the muslims. I hope you understand why it is not allowed to drink in Islam.

i dont agree with that, personally. That sounds more like collective punishment/reward.

If you do something good, you receive reward, not the Muslim standing next to you who did nothing.

If you get drunk and do something "incorrect", you receive negative points, not the Muslim next to you.

If 5% of Muslims are unable to drive without being wreckless, the other 95% would still be allowed.

I say, let people sin & be answerable to their God, no one else. Simple.

Mohammed (s.a.w) has said : when you see a wrong (sin) try to stop it with your hands, and if you can’t then atleast tell the person it is a sin to do such a thing, and if you cannot do even this, then you have only an atom of eeman left in you and if you want to save this, think of the wrong as a sin and abstain from it; (i.e) do not become a partner to it, do not join in the person’s sinful act.

Is smoking Halal???? I need to reconfirm your quotes ... so give me clear references. Chapter and verse....

The Prophet Mohamed sala alaahu alaihi wa salam said: "Do not harm yourself or injure others"; "Do not wish death even on the death bed" (Bukhari & Muslim).

The Qur'an says clearly: "You shall spend in the cause of God; do not throw yourselves with your own hands into destruction. You shall be charitable; God loves the charitable". (Qur'an 2:195)..

All the education in the west has not stopped people from harming themselves. How do you think it will stop People in Pakistan ?

Very true, but at an endemic level of costs that are acceptable to society, at least in the West. For Pakistan, it might be different, but consider that we have always had low levels of endemic drug use, albeit with a rise in the early eighties. The problems that arise in instigating and enforcing the ban are far more troublesome than the alternative, but we can debate that further.

does it really matter, I dont think I know a muslim in Canada who does not drink. Why do we even discuss such laws when they have no bearing on anyone, we only like religious laws that are helpful to us, but we tend to find ways around laws that we dont like.

does it really matter, I dont think I know a muslim in Canada who does not drink. Why do we even discuss such laws when they have no bearing on anyone, we only like religious laws that are helpful to us, but we tend to find ways around laws that we dont like.

I think you need to widen your circle of acquaintances! :D

I don't drink but I know many people who do and they drink in front of me but it does not influence me to do it.

I have however tasted alcohol once and its not for me.

I wouldn't mind drinking cocktails and other such beverages socially if there is a requirement. It depends on the environment actually, I move into such a gentry professionally but even then a glass of juice is preferred.

I will taste all kinds of alcohols though in my life just so I know the taste, a sip or two isn't a sin according to me.

I think you need to widen your circle of acquaintances! :D

lol studied in many universities here bro and involved at the local mosque as well, I know enough people to make a judgement call there.

Very true, but at an endemic level of costs that are acceptable to society, at least in the West. For Pakistan, it might be different, but consider that we have always had low levels of endemic drug use, albeit with a rise in the early eighties. The problems that arise in instigating and enforcing the ban are far more troublesome than the alternative, but we can debate that further.

At least in UK the NHS has started feeling the pinch from alcohol related problems. In addition you need to count the cost of personal and emotional costs of drinking, which are substantial.
As to drugs, why do you say there is no significant problem in Pakistan. That is a very uninformed view.
Araz

lol studied in many universities here bro and involved at the local mosque as well, I know enough people to make a judgement call there.

studied in many universities?????????

i dont agree with that, personally. That sounds more like collective punishment/reward.

If you do something good, you receive reward, not the Muslim standing next to you who did nothing.

If you get drunk and do something "incorrect", you receive negative points, not the Muslim next to you.

If 5% of Muslims are unable to drive without being wreckless, the other 95% would still be allowed.

So be it, but laws are not devised for the benefit of the few. Alcohol is a nuisance as is being reported in UK and US and the health care and social, Psychological, crime and other related issues including broken homes are reason enough for people to keep away from it. I look at it from a purely religious point of view and say if Allah SWT and his Prophet SAW have forbidden us, that is good enough for a reason. All the logic pales in front of the command. For instance why has Pork been forbidden. If you drink , do you take a similar attitude towards Pork, or for that matter Halal meat.
Araz

I would submit to you that this particular judgement call is based on insufficient sampling.

At least in UK the NHS has started feeling the pinch from alcohol related problems. In addition you need to count the cost of personal and emotional costs of drinking, which are substantial.
As to drugs, why do you say there is no significant problem in Pakistan. That is a very uninformed view.
Araz

Yes, but on a societal level, these costs have acceptance. As social mores change, more restrictions may be applied, but not before that happens.

It is presumptuous of you to call my view uninformed without understanding it. Please note that I said:

which is correct, but without any judgement as to the significance of the problem. Let me explain in simpler terms:

Before the 80s, drug use was endemic at a low level, RISING after the 80s. "It might be different" refers to the fact that Pakistan might NOT find the endemic level of cost of drug use acceptable. Also, my point is that starting and enforcing society-wide bans cause more problems than they solve, but this part we can debate.

Please try to comprehend before jumping to conclusions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom