What's new

Drinking liqour is not Haram - Federal Shariat Court

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drink! for you know not whence you came nor why: drink! for you know not why you go, nor where.
Omar Khayyam

Ghalib

Hazaaron khwahishen aisi ke har khwahish pe dam nikle
Bohat niklay mere armaan, lekin phir bhi kam nikle

Daray kyon mera qaatil? kya rahega us ki gardan par?
Voh khoon, jo chashm-e-tar se umr bhar yoon dam-ba-dam nikle

Daray kyon mera qaatil? kya rahega us ki gardan par?
Voh khoon, jo chashm-e-tar se umr bhar yoon dam-ba-dam nikle

Nikalna khuld se aadam ka soonte aaye hain lekin
Bahot be-aabru hokar tere kooche se hum nikle

Bharam khul jaaye zaalim! teri qaamat ki daraazi ka
Agar is tarahe par pech-o-kham ka pech-o-kham nikle

Magar likhvaaye koi usko khat, to hum se likhvaaye
Hui subaha, aur ghar se kaan par rakh kar qalam nikle

Hui is daur mein mansoob mujh se baada aashaami
Phir aaya voh zamaana, jo jahaan mein jaam-e-jaam nikle

Hui jin se tavaqqa khastagi ki daad paane ki
Voh ham se bhi zyaada khasta e tegh e sitam nikle

Mohabbat mein nahin hai farq jeenay aur marnay ka
Usi ko dekh kar jeetay hain, jis kaafir pe dam nikle

Zara kar jor seene par ki teer-e-pursitam niklejo
Wo nikle to dil nikle, jo dil nikle to dam nikle

Khuda ke waaste parda na kaabe se uthaa zaalim
Kaheen aisa na ho yaan bhi wahi kaafir sanam nikle

Kahaan maikhane ka darwaaza Ghalib aur kahaan vaaiz
Par itna jaantay hain kal voh jaata tha ke ham nikle

Hazaaron khwahishen aisi ke har khwahish pe dam nikle
Bohat niklay mere armaan, lekin phir bhi kam nikle...

Zauq! Jo medresse ke bigre hue hain mulla
Un ko maikhaane mein le aao sanwar jaayenge.
(Zauq! Bring the mulla misled by a medressa
To the tavern, it will correct his ways.)

Would the Lucknow maulana like to pass a fatwa against Iqbal's poetry? Now that would be much bigger news than a judgement against Madhushala. Of course Iqbal was never as provocative as Daagh could be:
Zahid sharaab peene de masjid mein baith kar
Ya wo jagah bata de jahan par Khuda na ho.
(Priest, let me sit and drink inside the mosque
Or tell me that place where God can't be found.)

Lutf-e-mai tujh se kya kahoon, zahid
Hai kambakht tu ne pee hi nahin.
(How do I describe, o priest, wine's joy to you?
A drop has never passed your misbegotten lips.)

Would Anyone Dare Issue a Fatwa Against Iqbal?

You do not need to be a Muslim to believe that drunkenness and excess alcohol consumption are undesirable and have a hugely negative impact on society. Alcohol can alter a person's judgment. It can cause people to act in ways that they wouldn't normally and the risk is that someone who intends to drink a small amount will end up drinking a large amount

There is a story that once a pious man met a woman, who invited him towards committing a sin (adultery). The man flatly refused. After her constant insisting, she still failed. Thereafter, she gave him a choice of options,

1. Committing adultery with her or

2. To murder her newly born child, whom had she begot from her previous husband. Or

3. To consume some alcohol which she possessed. If he were not willing to comply then she would scream and falsely inform the inhabitants of that place that he had raped her.

The man upon pondering decided to consume the alcohol, taking it to be least harmful of the three sins. Upon the consumption of alcohol, he became intoxicated, and then consequently, he killed the child and also committed adultery with the woman.

Reactions: sur
You do not need to be a Muslim to believe that drunkenness and excess alcohol consumption are undesirable and have a hugely negative impact on society. Alcohol can alter a person's judgment. It can cause people to act in ways that they wouldn't normally and the risk is that someone who intends to drink a small amount will end up drinking a large amount

There is a story that once a pious man met a woman, who invited him towards committing a sin (adultery). The man flatly refused. After her constant insisting, she still failed. Thereafter, she gave him a choice of options,

1. Committing adultery with her or

2. To murder her newly born child, whom had she begot from her previous husband. Or

3. To consume some alcohol which she possessed. If he were not willing to comply then she would scream and falsely inform the inhabitants of that place that he had raped her.

The man upon pondering decided to consume the alcohol, taking it to be least harmful of the three sins. Upon the consumption of alcohol, he became intoxicated, and then consequently, he killed the child and also committed adultery with the woman.

Out of curiousity, who told this story originally?

Looks like our judges are fans of Atiqa odho.

IIRC someone was struggling with their own nicotine addiction... Sounds like we've got a handle on it now?

I dip Copenhagen snuff, and have for 20 years. I'd say that makes me an expert on nicotine addiction, which is why I can declare it intoxicating. That was the point. You'll also note I advocate freedom of choice in these matters. No hypocrisy at all. And my personal habits are surely not relevant to this thread, are they? ;)

I grew up with a simple lesson from my dad, to not even touch a bottle of any liquor. That was good enough for me. Its been quite a bummer when I've had these drunk chicks spill all their beer on me twice on concerts.

Excellent choice. But some people can use alcohol with total responsibility.

Anyway, later on, we learned anything that intoxicates, anything in any way makes you lose control of yourself, anything that harms you, its all forbidden. The concept of Haraam, is anything that was declared Haraam. But c'mon, I'm pretty sure there were a lot of things thats the Prophet didn't get around to declaring them specifically haraam in his 23 years of Prophet hood. But its simply implied.

How about risky behaviors? They certainly harm people. No one needs to sky dive, for example. But you get a cool adrenaline rush from it. Your brain pumps your body full of chemicals.

Smoking was never declared Haraam, its implied IMO. Or lets get more technical, Ex was not even invented back then - its implied its Haraam. Or we can say it in English, if the Haraam tag is supposed to be kept exclusive.

Religion should remain a personal choice, there should be no declaration of Haraam or halaal and no punishment of whipping. Let the parents teach their children however they want to.

Religious people in charge of government never get it right.

I understand and appreciate what you are saying here, and agree with almost all of it. Legislating human behaviors with regards to intoxicants of any form is almost always doomed to fail. Look at the sad, decades long "war on drugs." Consider the enormous human misery. And I refer not to the drugs so much as the trafficking, the policing, the smuggling, narco-terrorism, jail, on and on.

Something else to consider - Let's go back in time to the year 1800. I can grow and use MJ. I can go into any chemist shop and buy giant bricks of opium. I can eat magic mushrooms all day long. There were no State narcotics laws... at least none in the U.S. and most of the world was similar.

What did human society look like then? Was everyone junkies, drug-addled fools? No. If all of these substances are sooo evil, how did we as a species survive? I'll tell you the answer... we did fine. Some people had problems. Most didn't.

Try to apply common sense here.

The great Propher obviously banned Liquour because Arabia is a hot place and if u r a drunkard there in the hot weather,you ll erode yoesur liver black.It is even worse for the common working class man as he has to toil in the sun to make a living.

Same thing happens in TamilNadu also.Being a hot place,any kind of liquour is going to erode the liver and heat up the body too much and people cant go out and work in the farms,despite the religion being lenient the society thinks of drinking as a big haram and smoking also.

Same thing in Punjab,where drinking is alright but smoking is haram as it deprives you of stamina and without that it gets difficult to work/fight.

The great Propher obviously banned Liquour because Arabia is a hot place and if u r a drunkard there in the hot weather,you ll erode yoesur liver black.It is even worse for the common working class man as he has to toil in the sun to make a living.

Same thing happens in TamilNadu also.Being a hot place,any kind of liquour is going to erode the liver and heat up the body too much and people cant go out and work in the farms,despite the religion being lenient the society thinks of drinking as a big haram and smoking also.

Same thing in Punjab,where drinking is alright but smoking is haram as it deprives you of stamina and without that it gets difficult to work/fight.

This post qualifies for http://www.defence.pk/forums/general-images-multimedia/29147-stupid-funny-all-over-world.html :lol:

Take your advice, put the bottle down.

:lol:

Just chill and drink..

just_chil__drink-other.jpg

drinking_children-normal.jpg

arabic_girl_drinking_2-normal.jpg

Take your advice, put the bottle down.

:lol:

i am sure the teachings had way more common sense to apply based on the cultural demands of the place than some random intervention as you think so.I dont mind bro,any practice ll have value if and only if it is of practical use.

I dont understand why the prophet being practical with his teachings offends you lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom