What's new

Disappointed Pakistanis

Not a PTI supporter, but thought this election we will see something new. Alas, it is nothing.

Ok help me understand this. You are not a PTI supporter, obviously disappointed with PMLN's win. Almost all of Pakistan were against PPP. So what else did you hope to see? :undecided:

images.jpg

Actually I am deeply disappointed too. Not a PTI supporter, but thought this election we will see something new. Alas, it is nothing. This country has gone to the dogs. As a presenter on TV rightly commented, "A new government with old faces."

So 5 years down the road, our economy will be as rubbish as ever, we will have the same bijli, gas and paani issues, and the sam security situation.

And yes, making Pakistan was a mistake. A big one.

Elmo edit: Have edited the thread title to, "The disappointed Pakistanis thread!" Let's air our grievances here

1. On what basis could one think that this election would bring something new? The signs were clear that facebook likes (for Gen Musharraf) or huge rallies full of young people (for PTI) would not mean any change at the ballot box.

2. In spite of these issues which are typical of any developing country, we are still growing our economy at a significant pace. The growth of our GDP is steady. Similarly, the WoT won't last forever. Once the Americans leave, things should improve slowly, if not rapidly.

3. To consider Pakistan a mistake is merely an emotional over-reaction brought on by the recent elections. We should never call Pakistan a mistake, lest others be tempted to rectify it.

...choosing damaged goods over some fresh change like Imran Khan is just beyond belief.
It seems to have been, overall, the fairest election Pakistani has had since the 1970s. Can't "believe" your fellow-citizens choice? It sounds to me that you didn't work hard enough to persuade them of your point of view and didn't listen to them tell you what they really cared about.

The only permanently "damaged goods", as far as I can tell, was the pee-pee-pee. From my point of view the party had completely ossified into stupefied and useless corruption. Bringing this civilian-to-civilian transfer about was its only great accomplishment and it deserves no great thanks beyond this point.

As for the PML-N, if its actions are monitored carefully and citizens are willing to intervene personally to prevent excesses like invading courtrooms the damage it can do may be held to a limit until the next election. And if NS wants to put the military in its place and make peace with India and settle the Kashmir issue, what could be wrong with that?

Indeed people were fed up with PPP and were desperate for a change hence one would understand even if God forbid, some Islamic party was voted into power, but choosing damaged goods over some fresh change like Imran Khan is just beyond belief. Having said that, credit should be given where it's due and I'm all for Shabaz Sharif as he's time and again proved himself to be a good administrator but Nawas Sharif once again representing and leading Pakistan......the stuff what nightmares are made of. God help Pakistan..............

Better the devil you know than the devil you don't!

Yes, except it takes a certain level of education and economic security to see through every politician's polished performances.
Exactly. When the 1787 Constitutional Congress was over and people in the street asked philosopher-scientist Benjamin Franklin what kind of government the United States of America now had, he famously responded, "A republic, if you can keep it."

Exactly. When the 1787 Constitutional Congress was over and people in the street asked philosopher-scientist Benjamin Franklin what kind of government the United States of America now had, he famously responded, "A republic, if you can keep it."

So have you been able to keep your republic while we struggle to create ours?

So have you been able to keep your republic while we struggle to create ours?
Mostly. I don't like our "lower parliament" (the House of Representatives) much because gerrymandering - all too often directly endorsed by the voters - creates a system where the politicians choose their voters rather than the other way 'round; they are becoming in character more like political operators than democratic representatives, though genuine contests still take place at the primaries.

Some day the system is going to have to be shaken up some - and that in itself will be healthy for the Republic.

Overreaction of emotional PTIinas is evident in this thread lol

Time heal all wounds :D

Funny...you're from Rawalpindi..where PTI beat the pulp outa PML(N) in NA 56 and NA 55 despite dhandli of nooras in NA 56...Lahore would've been the same story if it wasn't for massive dhandli of nooras...

Mostly. I don't like our "lower parliament" (the House of Representatives) much because gerrymandering - all too often directly endorsed by the voters - creates a system where the politicians choose their voters rather than the other way 'round; they are becoming in character more like political operators than democratic representatives, though genuine contests still take place at the primaries.

Some day the system is going to have to be shaken up some - and that in itself will be healthy for the Republic.

Gerrymandering is a term most Pakistanis may not understand but if you used the Urdu equivalent of that term and said HALQABUNDI, they will know exactly what you are talking about. Where there is an animal called Politician, there will be halqabundi attempts.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom