What's new

'Chinese students stealing tech secrets from UK varsities’

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know but I would like to believe we are a bit more ethical than those who steal data etc surreptitiously.

At least, I hope so!

I hope the moronic opinions made by many here is not indicative of their countries average intelligence. It is obvious nobody cared to read the article-

Set aside the fact it is illegal what these students did- there is some sort of moral , intellectual, integrity shortage it seems among many here.

I'm more perturbed to read this from Indians. Chinese have no integrity as it has been obvious to many tech companies for decades BUT Indians? where many tech companies hire India's IT talent and trust them with sensitive data, to cheer this illegal behavior is shameful!

what is going to happen is companies will refuse to hire such people where maintaining signed Non compete and disclosure documents mean nothing to them. what these few students have done is fvucked up the chance for others after them, others who may have been genuine , trustworthy and showed integrity- from having being hired or given an internship . Yes! once again china is being looked upon with disgust- but to see Indians cheer them is embarrassing!

and to Pakistanis who cheer- Did you know one of the Top Black berry apps developer is Pakistani and is based out of Pakistan? how would you like it if all the people they employ in Pakistan lose their jobs because Chinese stole their tech.. would you rejoice and tell those families who lost income in Pakistan and cannot feed their family- pak chini bhai bhai?

all I wish upon each and everyone of you who cheer the students is that some day - you discover an awesome new product or tech and someone comes and steals it away from you and you are left with loss of real income :) . or the company you work for has to lay you off because the chinese stole the technology- that would be ultimate justice!

give me a break. this is what patents are for.

and i would be a bit more sympathetic if this happened in the workplace. but universities? what BS.

I thught Dyson name was familiar. The dual cyclone technology could be easily transported onto the DF-21D Carrier Killer missile. I am afraid the Ginsu knife secret has already been converted to PLA's bayonets. When the Brits and other Europeans roamed through India, Arabia and China and took whatever they wanted, it was not called stealing or plundering but the rather as the spoils to the victors.

Dyson's analogy is as worthy as what his vacuum cleaner sucks up. I'll stay with my Hoover, it's made in China.

and i would be a bit more sympathetic if this happened in the workplace. but universities? what BS.

apparently you were not educated in the US or in Europe. Universities hire interns from universities. and patents don't mean jack in China...infcat they look for patents to copy and paste in china. well know fact in the technology world..

apparently you were not educated in the US or in Europe. Universities hire interns from universities. and patents don't mean jack in China...infcat they look for patents to copy and paste in china. well know fact in the technology world..

apparently you're wrong

There couldnt be a more glaring contradiction than what you intend to say here. On one hand you are for Patents - which btw protect intellectual property rights, while on the other you demean or downplay the intellectual efforts being put into research in Universities. So according to you, intellectual efforts in research mean nothing as opposed to a few tinkering efforts in industries which result in frivolous patents?

There is really nothing state of the art that you can take from universities. Schools are good because of their better teaching methods, facilities and lecturers, but most undergraduate schools teach pretty much the same thing. As for postgraduates, well they pretty much did most of their research work themselves. Stealing is an inappropriate word here.

I dunno, maybe this article is designed to fool people who didn't go to universities.

^^^ is your signature talking about your noggin? because after reading that post ... well :P

There is really nothing state of the art that you can take from universities. Schools are good because of their better teaching methods, facilities and lecturers, but most undergraduate schools teach pretty much the same thing. As for postgraduates, well they pretty much did most of their research work themselves. Stealing is an inappropriate word here.
Sorry buddy, you couldnt be more wrong. Many Universities carry out cutting edge research in many fields, including some top secret military projects. So any part of that project is a classified part and one cannot just walk out of the lab with all the data.

Secondly, many projects, atleast in US, are funded by public money - aka the tax payers. So the project doesnt belong to you technically, but to the person who has been authorized and funded to carry out the research. Post-Docs are but mere employees. You may get your name in the paper, thats all, but the project will remain the property of the PI (Principle Investigator) and the Institute hosting him and extrapolating it, the general tax payer. Its a felony to steal a project or any data without permission. So taking data outside the lab without valid permission, 'stealing' is the appropriate word for it.

C'mon it's only an Industrial Designer, not an engineer or an architect that we're talking about. Basically the industrial designers just deign consumer products (not the technological part). This British professors opinion reflects some of the Wests paranoid about Asians doing better and growing stronger than them that's all.

Sorry buddy, you couldnt be more wrong. Many Universities carry out cutting edge research in many fields, including some top secret military projects. So any part of that project is a classified part and one cannot just walk out of the lab with all the data.

Secondly, many projects, atleast in US, are funded by public money - aka the tax payers. So the project doesnt belong to you technically, but to the person who has been authorized and funded to carry out the research. Post-Docs are but mere employees. You may get your name in the paper, thats all, but the project will remain the property of the PI (Principle Investigator) and the Institute hosting him and extrapolating it, the general tax payer. Its a felony to steal a project or any data without permission. So taking data outside the lab without valid permission, 'stealing' is the appropriate word for it.

Either risks losing that technology by someone through research or don't have it at all. Until someone created a moon lab base to secure R & D, until than it's all fair game.

Either risks losing that technology by someone through research or don't have it at all. Until someone created a moon lab base to secure R & D, until than it's all fair game.

You obviously are deprived of quality education.

The article is vague, way to vague. Stealing science and technology? Can they be more specific? If people are doing illegal things why hasn't anyone been charged, arrested?
Or is it just some company founder's sour grape mentality?

Is security really that lacking that so many students working on classified projects can just send data at will? Is there really so many 'secret' projects?

You obviously are deprived of an open mind.

Define open mind.

Lol, that coming from you, unless open mind constitutes blindly ignoring what are normally considered ethics and respect for intellectual rights and blatantly walking out the door with data one has helped oneself to aka stolen data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom