What's new

China's truck maker signs investment MOU with India

more Industries in Maharashtra means less electricity for housing and agriculture...Maharashtra government should stop establishing industries or get tough on Jaitapur N-plant..

i'm guessing machine tools to make the parts better and cheaper
Are you saying that that Chinese technology is better than Diamler Benz. Volvo, Leyland? It is not about machining tools, it is about the quality of the end product and the ability to adapt the product to the local market. Any product will be successful in a country as long as it is able to adapt to the local demands... if the company can provide equal or better quality at a better price point there will always be a good size market for its products.

I hope it is able to remove the stereotype of bad Chinese engineering with the Kinglong buses that BEST had ordered.

Are you saying that that Chinese technology is better than Diamler Benz. Volvo, Leyland? It is not about machining tools, it is about the quality of the end product and the ability to adapt the product to the local market. Any product will be successful in a country as long as it is able to adapt to the local demands... if the company can provide equal or better quality at a better price point there will always be a good size market for its products.

I hope it is able to remove the stereotype of bad Chinese engineering with the Kinglong buses that BEST had ordered.

Volvo is now owned by a Chinese company. Please don't be confused.

Volvo is now owned by a Chinese company. Please don't be confused.

I am talking about Volvo Trucks (owned by AB Volvo), not Volvo cars (owned by Geely Holding Group).

But anyways I was talking about technology and not ownership.

cerita kinglong buses were a flop due to body rattling and gear box issues as conveyed by a tourist bus guy.

currently the leading truck brands in huge haulage purposes is tata,hinduja-leyland,force-man,kamaz-vectra(tatra),amw,merc etc among few other brands I may have missed. daimler,hino are new entrants.

Perhaps a win win situation for both China and India, China need market while India need more FDI for economy growth since FDI been quite a worrisome issue lately, a decline of 32% in 2010.
FDI-2010-world-china-chart.gif

Now, AFAIK; just a few are remaining with BEST in Bombay (somebody from that city may be able to verify that) pending final disposal.

If the Kinglong experience is anything to go by, this venture will really have to 'earn its spurs'. :)

Yes, initially they were introducing this bus like there was no tomorrow....but now only a few of them are remaining. Instead TATA Starbus and Volvo are being introduced.

OMG this CERITA bus was a Crap...every now & then one used to Burn in Mumbai...once i got traped in that BEST CERITA bus that was horrible...

Thankfull BEST is now replacing it with TATA starbus...& NMMT directly went for VOLVO & MERCEDES-BENZ...

Buddy this that was better than the 'red' giants. Thankfully anyway they are being replaced with Starbus and Volvos.

NMMT is cool. From the start they went with Volvos.

Perhaps a win win situation for both China and India, China need market while India need more FDI for economy growth since FDI been quite a worrisome issue lately, a decline of 32% in 2010.
FDI-2010-world-china-chart.gif

I agree with you. 100 percent. Any FDI is good FDI.

I see what you mean. a western name does give advantages in marketing. Lenovo's chinese name is lianxiang. Even china's major munition maker use a pseudo-western name "Norinco" which stands for "North Industries Corporation".

But using western name also eliminate your potential opportunity to improve the public image of products from your country, it might also make the people to reckon it as a sign of lack of confidence and consider it inferior subconsciously.

10 years ago, made in Korea products were considered cheap crap. (though not too much better today). Hyundai and Samsung sells well today without changing its name. 50 years ago, made in japan products were also synonyms of cheap, but today Toyota is a symbol of high quality. give you some confidence it will benefit in the long run.

Thanks for understanding my point.
To overcome the challenge of bad name of Chinese product, you should stop dumping your inferior goods first. Then make a name for yourself.
In the meantime, I am sure, a company needs profit, and a non Chinese name will work better. I am strictly thinking from short term company's business point of view, not from country's point of view.
I am all for FDI and company actually making profit from the investment, it helps everybody in long run.

I take your point on board of course. Cheers.

To overcome the challenge of bad name of Chinese product, you should stop dumping your inferior goods first. Then make a name for yourself.
In the meantime, I am sure, a company needs profit, and a non Chinese name will work better. I am strictly thinking from short term company's business point of view, not from country's point of view.
I am all for FDI and company actually making profit from the investment, it helps everybody in long run.

Name 1 inferior product made by a 100% mainland Chinese enterprise. You can't.

Kinglong is 50% from Taiwan. Most of the cheap export enterprises are Taiwan/Hong Kong invested because mainlanders at that time didn't have the capital to invest in export processing. Instead, we either have state owned companies who have government backing to make good products like Shanghai Electric/Changhong/Baosteel, technological innovators like Huawei/ZTE/Lenovo or private import-substitution industries like SMIC/Shagang/Sany/TCL/Haier.

Name 1 inferior product made by a 100% mainland Chinese enterprise. You can't.

Kinglong is 50% from Taiwan. Most of the cheap export enterprises are Taiwan/Hong Kong invested because mainlanders at that time didn't have the capital to invest in export processing. Instead, we either have state owned companies who have government backing to make good products like Shanghai Electric/Changhong/Baosteel, technological innovators like Huawei/ZTE/Lenovo or private import-substitution industries like SMIC/Shagang/Sany/TCL/Haier.

I cant name even one off the top of my head. That is the point.
All I wanted to say is dont call the truck top-sun-bong, call it lenovo or TCL, it has got better chance.
What is in a name? A lot, if you think from non chinease consumer point of view.
If the truck is for B2B only,then it is different case.

I cant name even one off the top of my head. That is the point.
All I wanted to say is dont call the truck top-sun-bong, call it lenovo or TCL, it has got better chance.
What is in a name? A lot, if you think from non chinease consumer point of view.
If the truck is for B2B only,then it is different case.

It doesn't matter if you can't. Millions of Indians can't even read Huawei if it was spelled out in Latin letters, nevermind Chinese, but they don't need to. How many have heard of BASF? Doesn't stop them from being leaders in the chemical industry and bigger than "brand names" like Microsoft and Sony. In fact even export processor Foxxcon is bigger than "brand name" Microsoft. Not hearing of it doesn't make the company worse, it makes you ignorant.

It doesn't matter if you can't. Millions of Indians can't even read Huawei if it was spelled out in Latin letters, nevermind Chinese, but they don't need to. How many have heard of BASF? Doesn't stop them from being leaders in the chemical industry and bigger than "brand names" like Microsoft and Sony. In fact even export processor Foxxcon is bigger than "brand name" Microsoft. Not hearing of it doesn't make the company worse, it makes you ignorant.
Specific to the product the company makes, it does matter whether the consumer can recall the brand.
If you are supplying to other businesses, then it is different point.
If a consumer is ignorant of a product that is available in the market, it does not help the company. Hence the whole point.

It does not need that much brand recall if it wants to be a auto component behemoth, bigger than say, tata, an auto manufacturer.

Yeah, 'cause TATAs (slang for breasts) is a great name. Why not just call an Indian company ASSS ?

Yeah, 'cause TATAs (slang for breasts) is a great name. Why not just call an Indian company ASSS ?

May be in china, tata means breast. Tata should use different name in china if that is offensive. Lol.
You are basically making my point.

Back
Top Bottom