What's new

China's 294 megatons of thermonuclear deterrence

How to distinguish between a Chinese DF-31A 3-MIRVed ICBM and a DF-41 10-MIRVed ICBM

A common question is: "How do you distinguish between a DF-31A ICBM carried on a mobile TEL from a DF-41 ICBM?"

The answer is actually pretty simple. It is very hard to tell the difference by looking at the missile canister. You have to focus on the mobile TEL..

I think everyone bigger than a 2 years old child can tell you the differences between the TELs. They're so OBVIOUSLY different!

Or maybe you thought everyone here is a 1 year old baby?

I think everyone bigger than a 2 years old child can tell you the differences between the TELs. They're so OBVIOUSLY different!

Or maybe you thought everyone here is a 1 year old baby?

There are many casual guest readers.

Don't read my threads or posts if it bothers you.

By the way, Broccoli can't tell the difference. He's on SDF claiming the DF-41 TEL is a DF-31A.

Broccoli has been around for a few years. If he can't tell the difference, perhaps other people also can't tell the difference.

Later (probably tomorrow since I've already written posts today and I'm working too hard for this hobby), I will write a more comprehensive post on the DF-41 TEL to clearly explain the reason that Broccoli is confused. He's looking at the same DF-41 TEL, but he thinks it's a DF-31A.

icGSbG9.jpg

Last edited:
By the way, Broccoli can't tell the difference. He's on SDF claiming the DF-41 TEL is a DF-31A.

Broccoli has been around for a few years. If he can't tell the difference, perhaps other people also can't tell the difference.

Later (probably tomorrow since I've already written posts today and I'm working too hard for this hobby), I will write a more comprehensive post on the DF-41 TEL to clearly explain the reason that Broccoli is confused. He's looking at the same DF-41 TEL, but he thinks it's a DF-31A.

Hahahahaha... I totally agree with you on mr Broccoli. But I would advice you not to waste your time trying to explain or convince him, he's hopeless... (personal experience)

Comprehensive guide to identifying a Chinese DF-41 10-MIRVed ICBM

881Eshv.jpg

This is a Chinese DF-31A 3-MIRVed ICBM mobile TEL from the 2009 Chinese Military Parade. Everyone agrees on this. Notice the canister is short and is placed entirely behind the truck cabin.

A0IJsbX.jpg

This is a Chinese DF-41 10-MIRVed ICBM. On the left side of the picture, it sticks out beyond the truck like a DF-31A. However, on the right side of the picture, the missile canister extends beyond the truck bed. Since it is much longer and can carry more fuel, the DF-41 is clearly a larger missile.

5ZIxiV8.jpg

This is a picture of the DF-41 ICBM, because the wheel pattern is the same as the DF-41 picture above. You can't see it from this angle, but the missile extends beyond the middle of the truck cabin in the front.

DlMcx.jpg

DF-41 seen on a public road. Look carefully at the unique double-ring with multiple horizontal bars near the end of the DF-41 canister. It is the same design in this picture and the first DF-41 picture above.

---------------

Now, things get tricky. Some people get confused from this point forward.

R9OiF.jpg

DF-41 undergoing tests. Notice the missile canister extends beyond the front of the truck cabin. You can see the bright rectangular headlight on the front right-side of the truck.

MVUun.jpg

DF-41 spotted on a public road in 2007. You are looking at the front of the truck, NOT the back. The DF-41 missile canister extends beyond the FRONT of the truck cabin. The distinctive rectangular headlights can be easily seen.

If I remember correctly, Hans Kristensen got confused and thought both of the pictures above showed the DF-31A. He said the canister resembled the DF-31A and not the DF-41, which has a double-ring.

In my opinion, Hans didn't realize he was looking at the wrong end of the DF-41 ICBM canister. Both pictures above show the FRONT of the DF-41 and not the back. The superficial resemblance between the front of the DF-41 canister and the back of the DF-31A canister is mere coincidence and has caused confusion. It only means China hired the same company to build the end-cover for its ICBM canisters.

We know both pictures above show the DF-41 ICBM, because the very first DF-41 ICBM picture showed a very long canister that splits the front cabin into two. The superlong DF-41 can only be carried by a truck with the DF-41 canister slung over the middle part of the cabin.

Look carefully at both pictures. The rectangular headlights are in the front. We are looking at the FRONT of the DF-41 ICBM mobile TEL.

---------------

Now, I will explain why Broccoli was confused.

KBJnp6l.jpg

This is a picture of China's DF-41 ICBM, because the superlong missile canister is slung over the middle part of the truck's cabin.

Broccoli didn't realize that every time you see a split cabin, it is a DF-41 ICBM (which is superlong and must extend over the front part of the mobile TEL). Broccoli took a wild guess, because he wasn't focused on the split cabin.

In conclusion, the three unique identifying characteristics of a Chinese DF-41 10-MIRVed ICBM mobile TEL canister are a split-cabin in front of the truck to accommodate the superlong front of the missile, a double-ring pattern in the back of the canister, and the tightly-grouped evenly-spaced eight truck tires.

0euhq2R.jpg

I want to add this final picture of China's DF-41 10-MIRVed ICBM to complete the collection of pictures. Obviously, we know it's a DF-41 because of the split-cabin in the front of the truck.

Last edited:
My comment on TIME under my pseudonym as ChinaLee.

Link: China’s Restriction on Airspace Over Disputed Islets Could Lead to War | TIME.com

----------

The United States should stay out of a Sino-Japanese War.

The U.S. signed a defense treaty with Japan in 1952. The United States had no idea that China would detonate a 3.3-megaton hydrogen bomb in 1967. China has spent 47 years to prepare for the next war. In 2009, China announced the completion of the 5,000km (or 3,000 mile) Underground Great Wall. No one has any idea how many Chinese thermonuclear warheads are hidden down there.

It's time for the United States to extricate itself from an archaic defense treaty with troublesome saber-rattling Japan. After all, what can the U.S. do if China decides to detonate a megaton-EMP over Japan? The answer is not much unless you want to engage in an all-out thermonuclear war with China.

According to NTI, China has at least 294 megatons of thermonuclear warheads and they've been busy building more in the last decade. The U.S. has 570 megatons, France 55, and Britain 16 megatons.

Current list of China's thermonuclear/fusion warheads:

DF-5A ICBM: World's largest deployed warhead at five megatons
DF-5B ICBM: Carries 10 MIRVs with half a megaton per MIRV
DF-31A ICBM: Carries 3 MIRVs
DF-41 ICBM: Carries 10 MIRVs
JL-2 SLBM: Carries 8 MIRVs

AzKcQ.jpg

Picture of DF-31A ICBM

n2U1mzB.jpg

Picture of DF-41 ICBM

CPSlF.jpg

Picture of two DF-5 ICBMs in China's Underground Great Wall
what do you think how many US nuclear submarines carrying nuclear weapons cruise in the East and South China Sea day and night?
but anyway discussing with a madman like you is waste of time..

Last edited:
My reasonable estimate that China has at least 100 DF-31A 3-MIRVed ICBMs (and 300 thermonuclear warheads)

On another forum, Broccoli recently asked for the basis of my estimate that China has at least 100 DF-31A ICBMs. I provided him with two reasons. I will now add a third reason. It is official Chinese government policy (see last citation below "No nuclear limit: China") to close the thermonuclear gap with the United States. Thus, we can expect China to work relentlessly to build more hydrogen bombs, ICBMs, and SLBMs.

The existence of 100 Chinese DF-31A ICBMs means 300 MIRVed thermonuclear warheads. It is a good deterrent and buys time for China to build more DF-31A and DF-41 ICBMs.

Many analysts, like Richard Fisher, believe China has one reload missile per ICBM TEL. This makes sense, because it maximizes the use of a mobile ICBM TEL. If this is true, we could actually be looking at 200 Chinese DF-31A ICBMs with 600 MIRVed thermonuclear warheads.
Broccoli said:
I would also like to see source for claim that China has 100 DF-31A ICBM's, so far only thing what I have seen is Martians personal opinion.

Two reasons.

1. China launches 20 Long March rockets each year. Assuming the Chinese military builds an equivalent number of military Dong Feng/Long March ICBMs each year, we're looking at about 100 DF-31A ICBMs.

Since the DF-31A ICBM was in service in 2007, we can calculate the approximate total number of DF-31As.

20 DF-31As built per year (to match the number of Long March rockets launched each year and to safeguard China) * 7 years (from 2007 to 2014) = 140 DF-31As

2. From my January 7, 2012 post (see below) where I cited Britain`s International Institute of Strategic Studies.

Using the more conservative estimate of one new brigade or 12 additional DF-31A missiles per year:

12 DF-31A ICBMs * 7 years = 84 DF-31As (which is close enough to 100 DF-31A ICBMs)

----------

China's DF-31As deter 144 cities

9yPbT.jpg

China's DF-31A launch

Let's do the math to see if China's DF-31A mobile ICBM retaliatory force is sufficient to provide a nuclear deterrent.

"Britain`s International Institute of Strategic Studies notes" there are "24 DF-31A ICBMs, indicating a possible increase of one new brigade from 2008 to 2009." China is increasing her DF-31A ICBM force by approximately 12 missiles/one brigade a year.

We will add 12 more missiles from 2009 to 2010 and another dozen missiles from 2010 to 2011. A reasonable estimate of China's DF-31A force is 48 ICBMs (e.g. 24 at end of 2009; 36 at end of 2010; and 48 at end of 2011).

If Richard Fisher's information is correct and China's DF-31A is MIRVed with three warheads then that means the 48 DF-31As are armed with a total of 144 warheads (e.g. 48 DF-31As x 3 MIRVed warheads = 144 warheads).

We know China possesses the technology for a W-88 class warhead with a yield of 475 kilotons. The conclusion is that China's DF-31A nuclear force is capable of retaliating against 144 cities. That does seem to be a formidable second-strike capability.

----------

China and START. Missile buildup may surpass U.S., Russia as they denuclearize

"China and START
By Richard D. Fisher Jr.,
The Washington Times,
20 September 2010
In its latest report to the Congress on China`s military released on Aug. 16, the Pentagon says there are less than 10 DF-31 and "10-15" DF-31A ICBMs, up to five more than reported in the previous year`s report, covering 2008. However, in the 2010 issue of "Military Balance," Britain`s International Institute of Strategic Studies notes there is one brigade of 12 DF-31s and two brigades or 24 DF-31A ICBMs, indicating a possible increase of one new brigade from 2008 to 2009.
This analyst has been told by Asian military sources that the DF-31A already carries three warheads and that one deployed DF-5B carries five or six warheads."

----------

16yUM.jpg

Range of China's defensive thermonuclear missiles

No nuclear limit: China

"No nuclear limit: China
Philip Dorling
February 28, 2011

HIGH-RANKING Chinese officials have declared that there can be no limit to the expansion of Beijing's nuclear arsenal, amid growing regional fears that it will eventually equal that of the United States, with profound consequences for the strategic balance in Asia.

Records of secret defence consultations between the US and China reveal that US diplomats have repeatedly failed to persuade the rising superpower to be more transparent about its nuclear forces and that Chinese officials privately admit that a desire for military advantage underpins continuing secrecy.

According to US diplomatic cables obtained by WikiLeaks and provided exclusively to The Age, the deputy chief of China's People's Liberation Army General Staff, Ma Xiaotian, told US Defence and State Department officials in June 2008 that the growth of China's nuclear forces was an ''imperative reality'' and there could be "no limit on technical progress''.

Rejecting American calls for China to reveal the size of its nuclear capabilities, Lieutenant-General Ma bluntly declared: ''It is impossible for [China] to change its decades-old way of doing business to become transparent using the US model.''

While claiming in a further July 2009 discussion that Beijing's nuclear posture has "always been defensive'' and that China would "never enter into a nuclear arms race", General Ma acknowledged that, "frankly speaking, there are areas of China's nuclear program that are not very transparent''.

China's assistant foreign minister He Yafei similarly told US officials in June 2008 that there will be an ''inevitable and natural extension'' of Chinese military power and that China ''cannot accept others setting limits on our capabilities''.
The International Institute for Strategic Studies estimates China has up to 90 intercontinental ballistic missiles (66 land-based and 24 submarine-launched) and more than 400 intermediate range missiles targeting Taiwan and Japan. The US intelligence community predicts that by the mid-2020s, China could double the number of warheads on missiles capable of threatening the US."

Last edited:
what do you think how many US nuclear submarines carrying nuclear weapons cruise in the East and South China Sea day and night?

Still, they won't dare to use it against China unless PLA made the first nuclear strike against the US soil.

Anyway, US won't operate any SSBN in the East/South China Sea.

The East China Sea is mostly made of littoral zone, which is unsuitable for the SSN to sail., while they don't have any sub base in the South China Sea.

In conclusion, you are making this assumption out of your mind, since any military amateur with a slight decent knowledge could assume that USN won't operate any SSBN or SSN in the East/South China Sea.

US is not your sugar daddy, while they won't become your sugar daddy. If Vietnam ever wants to face China, then you will have to do it alone.

Mechanical computer used for calculations to build China's atomic and hydrogen bombs

China's mechanical computer looks like a "slide rule" integrated with a keypad. It's essentially a specialized hard-coded machine with built-in equations or functions.

The mechanical computer is the mechanical equivalent of an ASIC (ie. application-specific integrated circuit). China probably had thousands or tens of thousands of these units for use by engineers.

xAvfUQ8.jpg

Here is a picture of the said "abacus." Also, I would call it a mechanical computer. I took the picture while I was in the China National History Museum for the Road to Renaissance Exhibit. They apparently calculated nine simulated detonations with this thing before they lit the fuse on the big one. (Photo and caption credit: Luhai)

[Note: Thank you to Luhai for taking the picture of the extraordinary Chinese mechanical computer and describing it in the caption.]
----------

China's Military Technological Milestones - includes China's first flight test of its WS-20 large turbofan high-bypass engine

210 B.C. (2,200 years ago): China invents chrome-plating technology during Qin Dynasty under emperor Qin Shihuang.

1964: China detonated a 22-kiloton atomic bomb on October 16, 1964.

Video of the 22-kiloton Chinese atomic explosion in 1964

---------------

1967: China detonated a 3.3-megaton thermonuclear bomb on June 17, 1967.

Video of the 3.3-megaton Chinese thermonuclear explosion in 1967

1970: China successfully sends its first satellite into space - the Dong Fang Hong I

1971: China successfully launched its first DF-5 ICBM with 12,000-15,000km range and capable of carrying a five-megaton "city buster" thermonuclear warhead.

1972: China builds its first atomic clock at Shanghai Astronomical Observatory (SHAO).

1984: China built its first cryogenic YF-73 rocket engine.

1986: China built an indigenous DD3 nickel-based single-crystal superalloy. (Earliest English article citation is year 1995. However, the first published Chinese research paper on DD3 discovery was in 1986.)

1988: China test-detonates a 1- to 20-kiloton Neutron Bomb on September 29, 1988.
1988: Julang 1 (JL-1) SLBM is fully operational with the successful test firing from a submerged Xia SSBN in September 1988.

1998: Chinese J-10 Vigorous Dragon had its first flight. Officially unveiled in 2007.
1998: "At the 1998 Zhuhai Air Show, the [Chinese] Seek Optics Company displayed information of its stealth coating and software for stealth shaping.[63]"

1999: Chinese JSTARS Tu-154M/D Electronic Intelligence Aircraft in service (e.g. Careless B-4138).

2000: China successfully sends its first GPS satellite (Beidou) into space.

2001: Chinese Type 99 Main Battle Tank in service.

2002: China's Type 093 Shang-class nuclear attack submarine (SSN) is launched.

2003: China sends its first taikonaut Yang Liwei into space.
2003: China's KJ-2000 AWACS with domestic AESA radar has its first flight.
2003*: DD6 is China's indigenous second-generation nickel-based single-crystal superalloy (Earliest English article citation is year 2003. However, actual DD6 discovery was probably closer to year 2000.)

2005: China's Type 052C Lanzhou-class AESA-equipped destroyer entered service.

2006: China's WS-10A turbofan engine certified for production.
2006: First static test of the WS-13 turbofan engine with single-crystal turbine blades.

2007: China clones world's first rabbit.
2007: Chinese direct-ascent ASAT shoots down orbiting satellite.
2007: Chinese DF-31A MIRVed ICBM in service.

2008: China conducts its first spacewalk with taikonaut Zhai Zhigang.
2008: China orbits its first data tracking and relay communications satellite - Tianlian I

2009: Public disclosure of China's 5,000km "Underground Great Wall"

2010: China builds world's-fastest supercomputer Tianhe-1A.
2010: Chinese GBI (i.e. ground based interceptor) shoots down a ballistic missile during mid-course phase.
2010: Chinese WZ-10 Attack Helicopter in service.
2010: Chinese Type 094 Jin-class nuclear missile ballistic submarine (SSBN) in service.
2010: Chinese Yaogan 9 NOSS (Naval Ocean Surveillance System) satellite trio in orbit.

2011: Chengdu J-20 stealth superfighter has first flight on January 11, 2011.

2012: China sends its first woman taikonaut Liu Yang into space on a 10-day mission.
2012: Chinese Jialong manned submersible completes world record-breaking 7,000 meter dive.
2012: First sighting of next-generation AESA radar for Type 052C destroyer.
2012: DF-41 10-MIRV-capable ICBM with 12,000-15,000km range had first flight on July 24, 2012.
2012: Chinese Type 056 corvette enters service.
2012: New Chinese thermonuclear-capable IRBM with 4,000km range (to potentially strike Guam).
2012: China's Beidou System successfully covers all of China and the surrounding region.
2012: Shenyang J-31 medium-range stealth fighter has first flight on October 31, 2012.
2012: China builds its first optical clock (which is more precise than an atomic clock).

2013: China's Y-20 heavy-lift military transport conducts first flight on January 26, 2013.
2013: "The Chinese military has deployed its new anti-ship ballistic missile [ASBM or "carrier killer"] along its southern coast facing Taiwan, the Pentagon’s top military intelligence officer said today."
2013: "After a round of successful testing in 2012, the JL-2 appears ready to reach initial operational capability in 2013." (Source [p. 39, Pentagon 2013 report on Chinese Military Power]: http://www.defense.gov/pubs/2013_China_Report_FINAL.pdf)
2013: China has deployed H-6K "God of War" bomber that is capable of carrying thermonuclear-capable CJ-10 cruise missiles.
2013: Bill Gertz reports China is building 1,240 miles of special tracks for rail-mobile ICBMs.
2013: China deploys advanced SRBM with MARV (maneuverable reentry vehicle) thermonuclear-capable warhead
2013: China's "Lijian stealth UAV from Hongdu has made its first flight on Nov. 21 at 13:00 local time. The flight was 20 minutes."
2013: China's Yutu rover separates from Chang'e-3 Moon Lander on December 14, 2013.
2013: China's Z-20 military medium-lift 10-ton utility helicopter has its first flight on December 23, 2013

2014: China conducts its first HGV (hypersonic glide vehicle) flight on January 9, 2014.
2014: China conducts first flight test of its WS-20 large turbofan high-bypass engine.

----------

bAB0kCP.jpg

China's WS-20 turbofan high-bypass engine is on the left with the larger diameter. (Photo Credit: Sina)

Q0PDWzF.jpg

China's WS-20 high-bypass engine is more fuel efficient than a low-bypass engine. The WS-20 is suitable for transport aircraft where range is important. (Photo Credit: EasyDay)

[Note: Thank you to Shuttler for the photograph credits.]

----------

China Flies First Large Turbofan | AIN Online

"China Flies First Large Turbofan
by David Donald
AIN Defense Perspective » January 17, 2014

CrhlA5o.jpg

The first flight test example of the WS-20 turbofan is seen on the port inboard pylon of an Il-76 testbed. (Photo: via Chinese Internet)

Photos have appeared on Chinese websites of an Ilyushin Il-76 testbed fitted with a large high-bypass-ratio turbofan under the port inner pylon. The engine is believed to be the WS-20 (also reported as WS-118), which is under development as a possible powerplant for the Xian Y-20 airlifter. The prototype Y-20s, the first of which flew on January 26 last year, are powered by the NPO Saturn D-30KP-2 imported from Russia. This engine is also used by the Il-76 itself, and by China’s H-6K missile-carrying bomber.

While the performance of the 26,500-pound-thrust D-30KP-2 is adequate for initial flight-testing of the Y-20, and perhaps limited initial operational use, it is not powerful enough for ultimate requirements set for the Y-20. To meet those needs, at least three powerplant programs have been mentioned as potential engines for the production airlifter, which is scheduled to enter service in 2017.

Shenyang-Liming has been developing the WS-20, using the core of the WS-10A fighter engine as a basis. This engine, though it has gone through many troubles, is now in production for the J-11B, a Chinese development of the Sukhoi Su-27 “Flanker.” The relative maturity of the WS-10A core has given the WS-20 a lead in terms of development of a large fan engine, although it may still not deliver the desired power levels.

Two other programs that may be applicable to the Y-20 are the 30,000-pound-thrust ACAE CJ-1000A, primarily intended to power the Comac C919 regional airliner, and the SF-A engine. The latter is under development at Xian and is based on the WS-15 fighter engine core.

In any case, flight testing of the WS-20 represents a major milestone for Chinese industry, as it is the first indigenous high-bypass-ratio powerplant to take to the air. China’s aero engine industry has been struggling to match the technological achievements of other areas of the country’s aerospace sector. The advanced metallurgy required to fabricate efficient high-temperature blades has reportedly been lacking, and help has been sought from outside."

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, Hans Kristensen got confused and thought both of the pictures above showed the DF-31A. He said the canister resembled the DF-31A and not the DF-41, which has a double-ring.

Hans M. Kristensen didn't get confused. He might be playing stupid, but he's not confused. As a 'talking head' within the US arms-control community, it's his job to diminish the capabilities of virtually all states with nuclear weapons in order to pursue his own agenda.

So according to the arms-control community...

1. China has 2,000 missiles aimed at Taiwan, but can only manufacture a few dozen ICBMs...:crazy:

China on track to aim 2,000 missiles at Taiwan: report| Reuters

2. China spent several trillion dollars and several decades building the 3,000 mile Underground Great Wall, but left it completely empty...:crazy:

3. Any pictures of the DF-41 you might see is actually the DF-31 with a new TEL...:crazy:

4. China has produced plutonium at these two sites and ONLY these two sites in its entire history:

sCfyJRA.jpg

Nevermind about the now declassified existence of Project 816 -- an actual example of an underground plutonium production reactor and its coincidental similarities to the Underground Great Wall...:crazy:

5. Since US recon satellites can't spot any ICBMs, China doesn't have any ICBMs -- because China is dumb enough to leave the DF-41s above ground waiting for the Tomahawk and B-2 strikes...:crazy:

:lol:

Last edited:
bla bla bla...just keep masturbating. congrat to your new role as hooligan and nazi of Asia.

I am talking with the logic.

Each Ohio class SSBN can carry up to 24 SLBMs with a range of 11000km, so USN can safely deploy in its west coast or Hawaii, why deployed it in the littoral water which is too close to China's sub-hunting troop?

The only sub base in Asia-Pacific for USN is Guam, it is the most logical supplement base.

BTW, do you truly believe that if China nukes Vietnam, USA will nuke China as a response?

If you believe so, then it is a waste of time to talk with you.

Each Ohio class SSBN can carry up to 24 SLBMs with a range of 11000km, so USN can safely deploy in its west coast or Hawaii, why deployed it in the littoral water which is too close to China's sub-hunting troop?

The only sub base in Asia-Pacific for USN is Guam, it is the most logical supplement base.

BTW, do you truly believe that if China nukes Vietnam, USA will nuke China as a response?

There's no need to have a logical conversation with Viets because their IQ is about the same as Indians. :lol:

normally I am not interested to post here in this section. too many warmongers. just because some Chinese clowns here threaten to invade or nuke Vietnam, so I open my mouth.

Vietnam is a non-nuclear state, so for me it is not understandable why some posters here think it is necessary to resort to nuclear weapons. Everbody knows Vietnam has never been a threat for China existence. Moreover, nuclear weapons are weapons of last resort for instance if the fate of China is at risk. China has 1.4b people, while Vietnam 90m. China spends $160b a year for the army, while Vietnam can only afford a fraction of it. so why nukes? makes no sense.

actually Vietnam is one of your least concerns.

From the strategic perspective, China is very vulnerable from others. Look at the map.
You have an unpredictable N Korea regime with nuclear arms Kim dynasty.
More than two US elite devisions station in S Korea. We can assume that America has tactical nuclear weapons to deter North Korea.
Same goes for Japan as America promises nuclear umbrella.
Not much difference for Taiwan
and of course same applies to the Philippines.

I am not a miliary expert. I only make assumption what would America do to deter a nuclear attack from China and North Korea to its allies? most of the deadly weapons is of course nuclear powered submarines, deploying them to the possible war zones: East and South China Sea.

Correct me if I am wrong.

America has 18 Ohio class subs: 14 SSBNs (each with 24 xTrident II) and 4 SSGNs (each with 154 xTomahawk). Each Tomahawk cruise missile can be fitted with either conventional or nuclear warheads. Let assume, America deploys half of them closer to China, means 7 SSBNs and 2 SSGNs. Barrack Obama has said he will deploy 60% of naval assets to the region by 2020. Following the range of the two different missiles, so the US would place the SSBNs in the West Pacific and one SSGN in the East and one in the South China Sea. That makes my assumption that two subs patrol the Seas day and night.

The closer the US subs get to China shore, the lesser the time China has to react. the cruise missiles need less time to reach the target. very simple. the waters are deep enough to operate the Subs. It makes sense to place the subs at strategic points and deter the enemy.

How advanced is China subhunting capapility? are you able to detect the subs?

Last edited:
normally I am not interested to post here in this section. too many warmongers. just because some Chinese clowns here threaten to invade or nuke Vietnam, so I open my mouth.

Vietnam is a non-nuclear state, so for me it is not understandable why some posters here think it is necessary to resort to nuclear weapons. Everbody knows Vietnam has never been a threat for China existence. Moreover, nuclear weapons are weapons of last resort for instance if the fate of China is at risk. China has 1.4b people, while Vietnam 90m. China spends $160b a year for the army, while Vietnam can only afford a fraction of it. so why nukes? makes no sense.

actually Vietnam is one of your least concerns.

From the strategic perspective, China is very vulnerable from others. Look at the map.
You have an unpredictable N Korea regime with nuclear arms Kim dynasty.
More than two US elite devisions station in S Korea. We can assume that America has tactical nuclear weapons to deter North Korea.
Same goes for Japan as America promises nuclear umbrella.
Not much difference for Taiwan
and of course same applies to the Philippines.

I am not a miliary expert. I only make assumption what would America do to deter a nuclear attack from China and North Korea to its allies? most of the deadly weapons is of course nuclear powered submarines, deploying them to the possible war zones: East and South China Sea.

Correct me if I am wrong.

America has 18 Ohio class subs: 14 SSBNs (each with 24 xTrident II) and 4 SSGNs (each with 154 xTomahawk). Each Tomahawk cruise missile can be fitted with either conventional or nuclear warheads. Let assume, America deploys half of them closer to China, means 7 SSBNs and 2 SSGNs. Barrack Obama has said he will deploy 60% of naval assets to the region by 2020. Following the range of the two different missiles, so the US would place the SSBNs in the West Pacific and one SSGN in the East and one in the South China Sea. That makes my assumption that two subs patrol the Seas day and night.

The closer the US subs get to China shore, the lesser the time China has to react. the cruise missiles need less time to reach the target. very simple. the waters are deep enough to operate the Subs. It makes sense to place the subs at strategic points and deter the enemy.

How advanced is China subhunting capapility? are you able to detect the subs?

The SSBN with SLBM isn't going to be better to be too close China's shore.

The boost phase of the ICBM/SLBM is slow and vulnerable if it is getting too close to enemy's range.

The SSBN with SLCM is another case, but the SLCM is mostly at the subsonic speed, which will give enemy too much time to react.

China has the HGV, so the US soil is not 100% safe when it is contempting to attack China's soil.

Back
Top Bottom