What's new

China sells used Type 053 frigates to Burma and Bangladesh

BTW , chinese doing great business with both country, for one he selling Myanmar saying this " No Shield can stop this sword" and on other hand he says to Bangladesh " No Sword can penetrate this child" buy this.

So china selling one country and saying you buy also or else he become powerful and both getting buying junk for nothing...

BTW , chinese doing great business with both country, for one he selling Myanmar saying this " No Shield can stop this sword" and on other hand he says to Bangladesh " No Sword can penetrate this child" buy this.

So china selling one country and saying you buy also or else he become powerful and both getting buying junk for nothing...

Well the effectiveness will depend on the user not china

What do you think We're doing with Pakistan and India? :p

These frigates are mostly a stop-gap and training platform for future frigate purchases.

Side-note, I believe it was a little while ago that Bangladesh sent some sailors to serve in the Qatar navy. <-- Good idea, because those sailors would get introduced to Qatari (western navy standards), and get hands on training with modern weaponry.

thats impressive. the indian frigs are a lot more expensive. the latest shivalik class costs almost 3 times as much. must be because of all those weapons

shivalik.jpg
Sorry but add the corruption price to the total cost.

Even though they are obsolete, they can still be useful for coastal patrols.

China has recently sold used frigates to Myanmar and Bangladesh, two nations that have had naval disputes with each other in the past. Burma got two Type 53H1 frigates, built in the 1980s. The Burmese Type 53s are 2,000 ton ships armed with four anti-ship missiles, two 100mm guns, and lots of depth charges. Bangladesh is getting two Type 53H2, which were built in the early 1990s and are generally the same as the 53H1s but carry eight anti-ship missiles. Both nations paid very little for their Type 53s (probably free), but compared to what these two fleets already had, the used frigates were a step up.

China built 53 Type 53 frigates (that's a lot). Based on the older Soviet Riga class frigates, the Chinese expanded the original 1,400 ton design (armed with depth charges, three 100mm guns, and torpedoes) to a missile laden 2,000-2,500 ton vessel equipped with modern electronics. The latest version, called the F-22, is built only for export. The primary customer is Pakistan (four sold so far). The remaining Type 53s are mainly used for coastal patrol.

The F-22P is the newest version of the Chinese Jiangwei II (053H3). The 123 meter long F-22P displaces 2,500 tons and carries an eight cell short range (8.6 kilometers) FM-90N surface-to-air missile system. There are two, four cell anti-ship missile systems (180 kilometers range C-802s), two, three cell launchers for rocket launched ET-52C anti-submarine torpedoes, and two, six cell RDC-32 anti-submarine rocket launchers. There is also a 76.2mm gun, two 30mm anti-missiles auto-cannon, and a helicopter. Each ship has a crew of 202 and a top speed of 52 kilometers an hour. The F-22Ps are inexpensive, costing about $200 million each

(taken from chinese military news blog)

So we are getting used ones, instead of newly built ones.
How is it f...ing modernising the navy??
Uggghh im feeling f#(king sick.

Feel sorry....China's new product is low quality and crap...and somebody buying 2nd hand....

Your sense of disappontment is understandable. However BN needs some ships urgently. The old ex-British Salisbury class frigates in BN are thoroughly knackered and only good for scrap. Ideally BN needs to acquire some good OPVs first for coastal patrol duties.

These Type 53H1 frigates have probably less corrosion on their hulls than the old frigates, also are'nt they similar to BNS Osman? Then maintenance and operability will get spread out over these ships. Finally the ships must have come at rock-bottom prices, which is not a bad thing at all. I think these ships are just interim, good for another 5-10 yrs max. So they will soldier on for a while. Something like the OHP frigate transfer to the PN.

Mat you are right, i was thinking something along that line. Shivak Class looks good. But IN and BN's preference is different, IN has a large Ocean to look over. We sorted out our problem with Myanmar I hope they will stand by the ruling of ITLOS. And with India within 2014 we can all become a bit more richer. Right now we need to protect our interest in BoB.

I was thinking that you guys were interested in ships from montenegro..............now chinese???:what:

Now we have to build our ships by us,that can actually meet our demand.

& right now we need to just patrol around the sea.

I think Bangladesh navy is supposed to get one or two 2nd hand frigates from West probably USA...

I want to see Myanmar kick some serious a$$ and beat some sense into the Navy top brass and GoB. :)

Back
Top Bottom