What's new

China’s army of graduates is struggling

Just another China-bashing thread posted by Indian members. I guess now that JayAtl is banned, another Indian needs to take his place.

Yes there is a problem in China, that as the younger generation grows up, the government will need to create jobs for them. With the one-child policy, this issue is lessened considerably.

The intention of the people who started this thread may not be so pure, but what he has posted merits a discussion I think.

No doubt that the employment of Chinese college graduates has become a huge social problem in China, Chinese college education has been questioned by many nowadays.

The intention of the people who started this thread may not be so pure, but what he has posted merits a discussion I think.

Fair enough. :tup:

We've been discussing it so far, and I also wonder how the suggested future change to the Hukou system might impact on this issue.

All the posts related to Chinese affairs & politics, but doesn't relate to its military or defence will need to go to the World Affairs section.

This Thread reported to Webmaster

Actually the problem is competition , China has alot of Jobs but again you need sources + the pay isnt that good. On the other hand Ive lived in China for 4 years and noticed mass of the people have food thrice in a day (No Mass starvation like India)

The development of Chinese economy on the one hand has uplifted masses of Chinese from poverty, enabling them to feed well and live well; on the other hand it has also hiked Chinese people's expectations of life, people can no longer be satisfied with basic needs such as food, clothes, etc. Therefore, when people are looking for a job, they are expecting more.

Unfortunately, Chinese economical structure has not transformed with the speed we have anticipated. Chinese economy is still highly relying on low-end manufacturing industry, which is unable to absorb so many college graduates every year.

Plus, Chinese advanced education system is full of problems, many students graduate from universites, only to find out what they have learned is basically uselss when they are applying for a job.

Fair enough. :tup:

We've been discussing it so far, and I also wonder how the suggested future change to the Hukou system might impact on this issue.

I don't think the dissolution of Hukou system will impact much on this issue, the main cause of this problem is what colleges have produced are not what the society needs.

In order to curb this problem, innovation in both education system and economical structure is needed.

yes but you said ,"The problem in China is unemployment, the problem in India is mass starvation. Big difference."we have brought out millions out of poverty. mass starvation exists both in India and china and both are fighting it.one day both countries will solve this problem.best of luck to India and china.:cheers:

Mass starvation doesnt exist in china. That is true some chinese living in less developed area of china are still not rich, but they are not starving as indian.

The problem in China is the balance of development. New graduates are struggling to stay in big cities, Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, etc. Although it is really hard to get a decent job due to intense competition there. But many of them still choose to stay with the hope that their situation will change better soon, since there are still a lot of opportunities in these cities.

They don't want to go back to their hometown, which is often a relatively undeveloped area in China, although they have much better opportunites to get a good job there with their degree and experience earned from universities in big cities.

So the problem in China is the "balance" of development, which every developing country will encounter, especially those with high development rate and big population.

I don't think the dissolution of Hukou system will impact much on this issue, the main cause of this problem is what colleges have produced are not what the society needs.

In order to curb this problem, innovation in both education system and economical structure is needed.

Also, I think there needs to be an expansion in the "services" sector of the economy. So that people with qualifications can get those kinds of high-paying jobs.

For example, Hong Kong has transformed from a manufacturing center, into a city that is almost completely dominated by the services industry.

The same thing is happening in other Chinese cities such as Shanghai, so I think this trend will continue strongly in the future. As wages increase people will demand more of these types of jobs. Also, a greater focus on high-value manufacturing will serve a similar purpose.

Do you know what percentage of the Chinese economy is in the services industry? I think the last time I read, it was around 40%+.

The Chinese goverment is struggling to solve this "balance"problem too with its plan to promote the economy of the western part of China by providing tax cut policy to investors and high speed railway connecting the west and the east. But it is a huge project, maybe it will take another 20 to 30 years. Then China will become a real economic superpower.

The problem is a classic case of supply and demand. There is great demand for graduates of Peking Uni and Qinghua Uni because because of their high standards. Some students even get job offer before thery graduate.

On the other hand, universities of lesse known produce graduates who will be in lesser demand. Also you do not get employed just because you have a degree. It depends on the need of your learned skill to fit into the job requirement.

Universities are like talent factory, while the employers are like the consumers. If you produce somthing the consumers do not want, your products will not sell well, there is a mis-match of supply and demand in talent training with too many people going for courses not in demand.

Another is already posted, i.e. too many graduates go to particular cities like Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen instead of going to smaller cities to look for jobs. They created a situation of more supply than demand.

The so called poverty happened normally to fresh graduatew who came into big cities bring only few hundred yuan, thinking they could get high pay jobs easily. You can't survie in a city with just few hundes yuan, especially where it takes longer time to secure a job.

And after they managed to get a job, yu can be sure that almost all of then will get a hand phone few months later which no starving person should have. Poverty is only for those who are picky and refused to start from low rank position, and waiting for an executive job offer to drop from sky.

Last edited:
unemployment exists everywhere..I don't see desperate Chinese in middle east hunting for qualified jobs at 1/3 wages! And that alone speaks enough about whose stands where in unemployment. China also needs more capital reforms and independent industry to absorb more of its graduates and boost its private sector. I belive Chinese can excel a lot as well surge their goods quality by promoting private export oriented industry futher. It is ironic that American invented internet, e-commerce and industrialization while the Chinese have mastered this as an art of 21st century.

my major is in Biochemistry. i've already interned at a clinical analysis lab and at a agricultural drugs plant. sadly, no job offers yet... I'll probably end up tutoring English for a year while I review for graduate test in Chemical Engineering. yes, 12 hour workdays, 6 days workweeks, all that is true. But during my internship I'm only in the lab half the time, other half I'm on a computer 'writing reports' (looking at Pakdef most of the time and finishing my reports later) or doing statistical analysis and no one is there to supervise me. The analytical department at the plant is pretty relaxed since there are only 5 people. When I start working freely as a tutor hours would be more flexible.

unemployment exists everywhere..I don't see desperate Chinese in middle east hunting for qualified jobs at 1/3 wages! And that alone speaks enough about whose stands where in unemployment. China also needs more capital reforms and independent industry to absorb more of its graduates and boost its private sector. I belive Chinese can excel a lot as well surge their goods quality by promoting private export oriented industry futher. It is ironic that American invented internet, e-commerce and industrialization while the Chinese have mastered this as an art of 21st century.
Any hard evidence that the US is behind China in exploiting the Internet? Real evidence from an impartial third party, not the one in your head.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom