What's new

Chengdu J-10 Multirole Fighter Air Craft News & Discussions

at this point how familar are our pilots with the FC-20s? I assume theyve been getting some strong training in China with Chinese airforce...

I have a question here if some one can answer it.
Q. When will be the serial production start for J-10 A or B? Is there a time frame for that?
Thanks
Qaisar

Abu Zolfiqar.
Brother, the FC20 has recently flown. All we have are unconfirmed reports of PAF having anlyzed the plane and flown it for 40 mins. PAF may have been involved in the changes, so it means that they have a fair idea of what the changes would do to the plane.

Quaisar52
Brother J10 A is already in production and more than a 100 have been made. As to J10B/FC20. It has had its first test flight recently. The plane is not due to bbe manufactured till 20012.
WaSalam
Araz

The recent prototypes will continue to be upgraded and tested according to PAF needs, they are not finished products and we may see brand new engines on FC-20. At this stage I'm still debating whether a tvc engine would be better or not and PAF is probably too.

The recent prototypes will continue to be upgraded and tested according to PAF needs, they are not finished products and we may see brand new engines on FC-20. At this stage I'm still debating whether a tvc engine would be better or not and PAF is probably too.

J10 even without any changes is a pretty maneouverable aircraft. What you need is powerful Chinese engine and stealthy features. TVC will add weight and complexity of maintenance. On those grounds i will oppose it. A to further changes, keep them coming brother.
waSalam
Araz

J10 even without any changes is a pretty maneouverable aircraft. What you need is powerful Chinese engine and stealthy features. TVC will add weight and complexity of maintenance. On those grounds i will oppose it. A to further changes, keep them coming brother.
waSalam
Araz

Well put, indeed J-10A is very capable in the air. TVC would indeed be a maintenance nightmare like the SU30MKI's are. What sort of stealthy features would you like to see ? I think radar absorbent material coating would be top notch. I hope its possible that some weapons are mounted semi-recessed into the aircraft. The key is in RCS reduction, and there is a lot that can be done.

For example, though very similar aircraft, the RCS of a Rafale is 2 sq. m while that of a Euro Typhoon is 1. If you take a look at the Eurofighter (which FC-20 shares some similarities) it is a small aircraft by many standards, and much of its profile is rounded. The wing, canard and fin leading edges, are highly swept, so this will divert radar energy away from the front portion. Since the FC-20 will be going up against aircraft with AESA radar in the future, low RCS is key. I would like the canopy to be treated as well. The mean aerodynamic chord (MAC) of Dassault Rafale is -5% and that of the EuroTyphoon is -35% respectively. This means that the supersonic drag is lower in the Typhoon making it much more agile, it wastes less energy inmaneuvering.

AESA radar also would be well worth it, at whatever the cost it is something you simply can not be frugal about in this day and age.

Last edited:
I do not think that more swept wing has lower rcs... Looking forward to get the theory on this...

About supersonic high agility... You can skip that in a nation with zero depth and where agility in subsonic speed and low altitude is far more important then mach 2 and a few g's...

About AESA... Nice to have on AWACS or ground but a fighter based AESA is hardly worth the extra costs. Netcentric is a solution. AWACS is a superb asset. For the rest AESA is at the moment not much wore worth then the normal dish...

Back
Top Bottom