Not open for further replies.

Viet

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam
Beijing restaurant’s xenophobic sign ignites online fury

Tuoi Tre
Updated : Wed, February 27, 2013,2:02 PM (GMT+0700)

image-466884-galleryV9-lwxi.jpg

A xenophobic sign is seen on the glass door of the Beijing Snacks restaurant in China's capital. Netizens have made a storm of protest against this notice.

Netizens are angry over a Beijing restaurant’s refusal to serve diners from countries, including Vietnam, that have maritime territorial disputes with China.

The restaurant, Beijing Snacks, located in the Houhai Lake neighborhood, a popular tourist spot to the north of the Forbidden City, has put a sign on its door in Chinese and English that says, “This shop does not receive the Japanese, the Philippines, the Vietnamese and dog” [sic].

It is unclear when the restaurant owner, surnamed Wang, published this notice, but it was seen on Chinese microblogging platforms last September.

Wang recently told Tuoi Tre by telephone that he posted such a notice to speak his mind, and nothing else was implied in it.

When asked how he feels about Japanese, Filippinos, and Vietnamese seeing the notice, he said bluntly that they had better not read these words and then abruptly hung up.

The owner told BBC Chinese on Monday that he does not care what others may think about his sign, and that he put it up out of “patriotism.”

Tuoi Tre emailed the Chinese Embassy in Hanoi on Tuesday to ask for comment on the incident but has yet to receive any response.

China is now locked in spats with Vietnam and the Philippines over the Hoang Sa (Paracel) and Truong Sa (Spratly) archipelagos in the East Sea, and with Japan over Senkaku/Diaoyu in the East China Sea.

‘Racism with a nationalist twist’

Four photos of the sign have gone viral online since February 22 when Rose Tang, a 44-year-old painter and writer who was born and raised in mainland China but now lives in New York, took them on her visit to Beijing.

Over 3,500 people have shared them on Facebook, and thousands of others followed and commented on Tang’s photos, captioned “Racism with a nationalist twist,” over the last few days.

The woman, who spent twelve years reporting for CNN and the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, told Tuoi Tre that she “put up the photos on my Facebook because I felt obliged to expose it,” the manifestation of a popular public sentiment growing more vocal in recent years in China.

“I didn't bother to go inside the restaurant to interview anyone … I pretty much knew what the owner or whoever put up the sign would say and I've been fed up with such patriotic/racist rhetorics in China and didn't want to hear more,” said Tang, a former journalism professor at Princeton University.

She was chased by protesters who showered her with rocks when she was covering the anti-NATO rallies outside the UK and US embassies in Beijing in 1999 as soon as they discovered she was reporting for a Hong Kong publication, Asiaweek magazine, the ex-reporter recalled.

“I think such national pride stems from a deep inferiority complex,” she added. “I hear all the time people raving about China's rise, but ironically every Chinese family I know of is trying to send their children to America.”

Tang said that she is “hoping pressure from the public and media will teach [Wang and people like him] a lesson.”

Furious reactions

Paul Mooney, a freelance reporter in Beijing, commented on one of Tang’s photos that “this is the government and Party's fault. They tell lies about other countries and distort history and so Chinese who don't know any better respond with ignorance. Very depressing.” About 250 people have liked this comment so far.

Quoc Vinh, a Vietnamese living in California, observed that “the very reason behind this is the "cow tongue" border that China claims on the Pacific. Japan, the Philippines, and Vietnam are all fighting with China against its ridiculous claim. However, China is good in educating its people, so they believe that their country is being invaded, not invading others.”

Another Facebook user nicknamed Andrea Wanderer believed “this is teaching hate to the younger generation so they grow up preaching animosity towards other countries in Asia.”

“Sea politics has made it to the dining table!” remarked Yenni Kwok, copy editor at the International Herald Tribune and Time Magazine.

http://tuoitrenews.vn/cmlink/tuoitr...s-xenophobic-sign-ignites-online-fury-1.99068

I support him not allowing Japanese, but why refuse Vietnamese, Philliphinos and dogs? Thats just too much.

another example of how a hate campaign can go :tdown:

I support him not allowing Japanese, but why refuse Vietnamese, Philliphinos and dogs? Thats just too much.
What do you think of if we do the same?

looks like british era india: "no dogs and indians allowed" posted in front of most elite clubs pre-partition, my grandfather told me that

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

example of postings in The Australian :

"It's not patriotism, it's stupid extremism," Sy Van wrote in Vietnamese in a comment under the story, published on the paper's website.

"This is teaching hate to the younger generation," Facebook user Andrea Wanderer wrote in Vietnamese.

"The owner of the restaurant has obviously been brainwashed by their government," added Facebook user Chung Pham.

"Blatant racism at Beijing Restaurant," journalist Veronica Pedrosa wrote in one widely-shared tweet,

while Facebook user Rey Garcia used a comment thread on a news site to retort: "Who cares, they almost cook everything, even foetus and fingernails."

just a no name restaurant trying to attact eye balls . it seems they got what they want

The shop should be boycotted. The owner is just making fool of himself.

looks like british era india: "no dogs and indians allowed" posted in front of most elite clubs pre-partition, my grandfather told me that
and what is your point?

It is bad, I feel sad and shame for the unmatured behaviors of the restaurant owner. No matter how bad the relationship between countries, normal citizens should not suffer this. And doing like this will change nothing, only shame on ourself.

another example of how a hate campaign can go :tdown:

What do you think of if we do the same?

do the same ?it would be BETTER if vietnamnese JUST do the same.your govt organize anti-China demonstrations again and again, your people burn our national flag ,which we didn't do to you. so you'd better rejoice for having such a tolerant neighbor

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

example of postings in The Australian :

"It's not patriotism, it's stupid extremism," Sy Van wrote in Vietnamese in a comment under the story, published on the paper's website.

"This is teaching hate to the younger generation," Facebook user Andrea Wanderer wrote in Vietnamese.

"The owner of the restaurant has obviously been brainwashed by their government," added Facebook user Chung Pham.

"Blatant racism at Beijing Restaurant," journalist Veronica Pedrosa wrote in one widely-shared tweet,

while Facebook user Rey Garcia used a comment thread on a news site to retort: "Who cares, they almost cook everything, even foetus and fingernails."

Whoever say or post the bold part is as bad or worst than the owner of the restaurant. At least the owner can achieve monetary gains but you two gain nothing but hatreds in your own minds.

do the same ?it would be BETTER if vietnamnese JUST do the same.your govt organize anti-China demonstrations again and again, your people burn our national flag ,which we didn't do to you. so you'd better rejoice for having such a tolerant neighbor
Any evidence for what you said: "your govt organize anti-China demonstrations again and again!"?
That´s clearly BS!

The demonstrations last year were arisen after your provocations in the SC sea. The peaceful protests were strictly permitted in scope and time by the government. The VN government did not inititiate these protests, we are not China.

Where did you see China´s flag burnt? any picture?
Where did you see any riots against China or citizens?

I think the owner is not stupid as you guys are saying, in fact he is a very excellent marketer.
:tup:
He is just thinking of attracting local people who dislike japanese, vietnamese and philippines.
:pop:

It is bad, I feel sad and shame for the unmatured behaviors of the restaurant owner. No matter how bad the relationship between countries, normal citizens should not suffer this. And doing like this will change nothing, only shame on ourself.
I agree, one bad behavior of an individual can damage the picture of a country. Even German media reports about the "event". That´s a bad picture for China.

Peking: China-Restaurant entfernt umstrittenes Schild - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom