What's new

Bangladesh to get US naval ship as gift

And should that matter? What matters is the product, and being delivered on time. Not where it is being refurbished.

I think, it matters. If re-fitted in a local shipyard it gives an opportunity for our technicians to learn more about weapons installation procedure. It takes them at least one step ahead. If done in China the opportunity is lost.

Ain't that embarrassing ? No matter how small a nation is, perhaps getting defense loan is better option than getting such freebies :undecided:

We like everything free :smitten:

free-sign.gif

Ain't that embarrassing ? No matter how small a nation is, perhaps getting defense loan is better option than getting such freebies :undecided:
why embarrassing ? USA its self offered us this ship and 16 rapid response boats, we did not ask for free stuff. USA is willingly giving us.

I wonder what will be the designation of this boat? At 3250 ton it will be the heaviest of all the ships in the BN. So, by this it should be designated as a Frigate. Or will it be a Corvette because it will have less teeth?

Good news for BD I guess. But the question is what the US want from BD in return. There is no such thing as a free lunch. If you keep on accepting these goodies you will get the "either with us or against us" sooner than you expect.

I wonder what will be the designation of this boat? At 3250 ton it will be the heaviest of all the ships in the BN. So, by this it should be designated as a Frigate. Or will it be a Corvette because it will have less teeth?

I assume it will be a corvette. Would be better to buy frigates from Korea or China. As Loki mentinoned, Jarvis is likely to be refurbished in China will the armaments.

Cheers!!!

what are the possible armaments we are likely to see?

This ship was built in 1972. What left in it that you want to fit modern stuff in it? First we need to find the age left in this ship before spending anything else. USA itself will overhaul the ship so that it can be operated as a war ship. I dont think it will go to China anytime soon.

This ship will be refitted with armaments in Bangladesh, armaments will come from China.

I assume it will be a corvette. Would be better to buy frigates from Korea or China. As Loki mentinoned, Jarvis is likely to be refurbished in China will the armaments.

Cheers!!!

it will be frigate , bangladesh also buying frigates from china and South Korea.

the ship is really old even after everything done to upgrade it wont be cheap to maintain it

and also China is not doing anything bad to BD but i would still say we are better off with China then USA

never trust USA , but in future they will ask us to be show our loyalty to them

at least China don't say that USA will come and go but China will be here and China maybe not give us free staff but they do give us excellent discount

but about the arment i saw some wrote we will put Chinese weapon :)
American Ship Fitted with China Weapons :) it cool :)

HISTORY

Coast Guard Cutter Jarvis is a 378-foot high endurance cutter homeported in Honolulu, Hawaii. Cutter Jarvis had her keel laid on September 9, 1970 and was launched at Avondale Shipyard in New Orleans on April 24, 1971. She was originally commissioned in Honolulu on August 4, 1972, the Coast Guard's 182nd anniversary. Jarvis holds the honor of being the first Coast Guard vessel to be commissioned in the Hawaiian Islands.

In July of 1990, Jarvis was decommissioned and began the Fleet Renovation and Modernization program (FRAM) at Todd Shipyard in Seattle, Washington. The $55 million stem-to-stern overhaul included engineering, combat systems, electronics, and habitability upgrades which have greatly enhanced Jarvis' mission performance capabilities. Since recommissioning in December of 1992, Jarvis had participated in Alaskan fisheries patrols, a Western Pacific nation building tour, and several exercises with foreign navies.

The cutter is named after Captain David H. Jarvis of the U.S. Revenue Cutter Service. Captain Jarvis served aboard cutters Hamilton, Rush, and Bear. He devoted the majority of his career to pioneering and developing maritime activities in the Bering Sea off of Alaska's northwest coast. While assigned to the Bear, he led the famous three-man expedition to save 300 whalers stranded off Barrow Point, Alaska. Trapped by ice, the harsh environment, and a dwindling food supply, the whalers had little chance of surviving. Through the relentless Arctic winter, Captain Jarvis' expedition drove a herd of reindeer across 1,500 miles of Arctic ice and snow to rescue the starving whalers. For his heroism, he was awarded a special Congressional Gold Medal.

Cutter Jarvis' mission areas today include law enforcement, search and rescue, military readiness and marine environmental protection. Cutter Jarvis is outfitted with two types of propulsion systems. The first system consists of two diesel engines which are used for normal cruising. These 3,600 shaft horsepower Fairbanks-Morse diesels combined with Jarvis' fuel capacity enable the ship to cruise nearly 16,000 nautical miles at a speed of 12 knots. The second system uses two Pratt and Whitney gas turbine engines similar to those found on jet aircraft. Together they produce 36,000 horsepower and can propel the ship at speeds in excess of 28 knots. Her crew includes 21 officers and 157 enlisted men and women.

link:

History | USCGC JARVIS (WHEC 725)

Back
Top Bottom