What's new

Bangladesh starts building first nuclear plant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reprocessing is where many restrictions lie and rest assured the IAEA will ensure that they are stringent, even India has to abide by them on our safeguarded reactors.

They are not gonna let us process our own fuel form our own deposits even if it is for power generation??

Well, you'll need loads of technicians to maintain the plants, that's a given. Processing fuel used to be possible under "original" text of NPT, however, the Yanks recently changed the rules of the game. They are very tricky players!!

First they promised that any country / state that signs the NPT, they'd retain the "right" to process fuel...... however, after everyone signed NPT, they go and change the rules.... :D

They are going to start sending professors to our universities.I don't think we will be processing our own fuel.We will probably buy them from the Russians.

Yes, we heard that about Burma before. But where's the 'real' evidence? From where did @asad71 hear of such?

Institute for Science and International Security › ISIS Reports › Myanmar › Burma Reiterates its
India says Myanmar has no nukes - Hindustan Times
Myanmar developing nukes? We don

And this was how the news of Myanmar developing nukes came around:
http://www.dvb.no/news/expert-says-burma-%E2%80%98planning-nuclear-bomb%E2%80%99/9527

https://www.dvb.no/burmas-nuclear-ambitions/burmas-nuclear-ambitions-nuclear/expert-analysis/9297

A defected military officer named Thein-something. I don't know, Burmese names sound all the same to me. They may have a program, but relevant equipment and know-how? The commitment? Nope.

So again I ask you: Why do you want Bangladesh to have nukes? What for? How will it ensure regional stability? Against whom?

Well, there's no way to explicitly claim if they are really acquiring or not, but shouldn't we be prepared for the worst case scenario?? About the negotiations, let me give you an example, if Bangladesh and India both go for a deal to buy fuel from UAE or any other country, who would the seller choose?? Undoubtedly India. That's where power matters, acquiring nukes would ensure that power. However, I'm definitely not in favor of being "a strong power but failed state", and that's why we need to wait for that right time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, same thing happened in Turkey. Where we are fighting them, and they aren't offering us any options. You need to read up on the treaties that BD has signed, and then the one way amendments the Yanks have introduced.

Only countries that are outside Israel, Pakistan and India. Plus, of course the standard powers. Everyone else is not even allowed to touch re-processing tech.

They are not gonna let us process our own fuel form our own deposits even if it is for power generation??

With all due respect but I was taught not to open my mouth haphazardly, I can speak with the authority on that.

You will want to check what was the Senate reaction when the Intelligence committee brought the news, if it helps.

With due respect I was taught not to talk with outdated and unverified information. Do you know how long ago 2008 was?
Russia has agreed to build a nuclear research centre in Burma, state atomic energy agency Rosatom has said.
In a potentially controversial deal, the centre will include a 10MW light-water reactor and facilities for processing and storing nuclear waste.

It will be monitored by the UN nuclear agency, the IAEA, Rosatom said.

The United States and European Union have imposed sanctions on Burma's military rulers, whom they accuse of widespread human rights abuses.
BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Russia and Burma in nuclear deal

Btw, who would be supplying the fuel? Process it yourselves or import @ NSG?

Fuel will be provided by the Russians. They will also take care of the disposal.

Never the reprocessing. Every bit of fuel that goes in and then comes out as spent fuel is accounted for. Courtesy India actually since we enriched fuel out of CANDU reactor and ergo the NPT was established specifically because of India. :devil: More so the irony that we are the only nation which got a NPT waiver.

So no, on the other hand even the technicians on this plant will be "professors" in the sense that they are not your average mechanic, these are HIGHLY qualified professionals.

Enrichment in a whole different ball game, try it and its Iran for BD.

The author made a mistake. The 10MW, reactor is a training reactor. A reprocessing plant is a different game all together. Storing is also done "off-sight", at least in most modern reactors.

Unless the Burmese population there wants to read books at night without artificial light.:bounce:

Well, you are not liable, even before the NPT restrictions. Technically they are all under no safeguards, same as with us. Only countries that ratified the NPT come under the extra "camera" restrictions! :D

In case of emergency, you have access to 3000 - 4000 units, and us to 2000 units approximately!

Never the reprocessing. Every bit of fuel that goes in and then comes out as spent fuel is accounted for. Courtesy India actually since we enriched fuel out of CANDU reactor and ergo the NPT was established specifically because of India. :devil: More so the irony that we are the only nation which got a NPT waiver.

So no, on the other hand even the technicians on this plant will be "professors" in the sense that they are not your average mechanic, these are HIGHLY qualified professionals.

Enrichment in a whole different ball game, try it and its Iran for BD.

Well, there's no way to explicitly claim if they are really acquiring or not, but shouldn't we be prepared for the worst case scenario?? About the negotiations, let me give you an example, if Bangladesh and India both go for a deal to buy fuel from UAE or any other country, who would the seller choose?? Undoubtedly India. That's where power matters, acquiring nukes would ensure that power. However, I'm definitely not in favor of being "a strong power but failed state", and that's why we need to wait for that right time.

That's not a very strong justification to go for nukes.

And no, Bangladeshi leadership will never change. And that's not where it all matters.

@Icewolf @Alpha1

Ok, good, so the problem is with bomb, but Bangladesh is not Iran and we are trusted by the "International Community" to go for nuclear power generation as no one in Bangladesh is thinking about bomb right now. We desperately need power. So no one should feel bad about it except for safety issues. I myself is concerned because of safety issues. Lets hope we get a safe technology, otherwise another Fukushima will mess up the whole neighborhood.

No one is building any bomb in Bangladesh now, but getting into this technology opens up possibilities which always makes me feel good. Acquiring technology in Muslim brother countries is always good for other Muslim countries.

Answer to your question is that any nuclear technology including generating electricity has potential for disaster. If you do not possess enough expertise in this field then you can be 100 percent sure that BD will not pass the muster from IAEA scrutiny.

Bangladesh will get nuclear power generation. And I am very glad that this will happen. Hasina is using this as a pre-election stunt, but sooner or later Bangladesh have no other way to meet its power generation deficit, other than using this technology.

As for reprocessing and all that, time will solve everything, regardless of what others think.

@Hyperion Fast breeders baby, fast breeders.

Although someone needs to educate everyone about nuclear matters, there is so much disinformation everywhere (in all sections here).

I'm doing good thanks for asking.

According to the best of my knowledge in real life on the subject, the situation appears to be particularly alarming. Yet, no one can confirm or deny what Burma is up to, but we do know that the Russians signed an agreement with them related to the development of civil nuclear program. Keep in mind that you aren't dealing with a decent regime, Myanmar is more like of the lite version of North Korea, I don't trust both tbqh.

@Yzd Khalifa

how are you bro??I was lil busy last few days,though paid regular visit here..thanks for asking..

as for Mayanmar's Nuclear Ambition,it was more of a hoax that was published in Sydney Morning Herald and somewhat supported by Democratic Voice of Burma.but didn't trigger much of International activity.the info they published is came from 2 defectors,who can give false info anyway.plus,Burma just started its Nuclear reactor in 2007,no way the can build it so fast(even if they've bought blueprints from NK as alleged).Neither any international watchdog(their nuclear reactor is under IAEA's watch),nor any other country accused them so.so,I think its more of a hoax than truth.

can you post the link of USA imposing tougher sanctions on Mayanmar based on this??

by the way,Mayanmar tried to come clean on this...

www.dvb.no/news/burma-agrees-to-let-in-un-nuclear-weapons-inspectors-burma-myanmar/32540+&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=in]Burma agrees to let in UN nuclear weapons inspectors | DVB Multimedia Group[/url]

US welcomes Myanmar signing nuclear agreement with UN atomic watchdog group | Fox News

I don't think USA is covinced.or else,they'd not congratulate them so early..

even if they had plans of making nuclear weapons,I think they didn't pursued it later.

can you post the link of USA imposing tougher sanctions on Mayanmar based on this??

Yes, sir :smart: here are some of their dirty work.

Here is more

And here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom