What's new

Bangladesh protest against women's rights left one dead

Scientific Research needs lots of money, facilities, super laboratories ..... BD lacks them!! BD has improved a lot in the field of agricultural science!!

India didn't have any money in the 50s and 60s when we started all our universities. india didn't have money in the 70s when we started our space programme. Or our nuclear programme in the 60s. You don't need much money to start off. And it has high returns.
In fact for your information, College students are the safest investment for a government. The student is going to contribute to his economy over a 100 times more than what his government spent on him

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

India is not waayyyy ahead of Bangladesh in terms of elementary education. India education tends to be elitist. We must accept that.

I wasn't talking about elementary education now was I? But what progress is a country going to make with a 100 million 10th passes?

roy honestly speaking i never follows these "molvis" at all what they say. whenever i have some doubt over such statements by them i just open the Quran and read what it says there. what can be more equality then the statement in Islam that "heaven is under the feet of a mother"

World needs more people who think like this.:cheers:

5th grade is only required in handful of countries like UK, Antigua and Barbuda etc according to CIA factbook. Not even for US.

Primary enrollment is almost 100% for India as well, would you site a source for BD?

I already provided with a link. Primary education is compulsory in BD by law. But nobody went to jail for it yet.. :hitwall:

Yeah I missed the link, will check it from home, scribe is not allowed through office ISP.

India didn't have any money in the 50s and 60s when we started all our universities. india didn't have money in the 70s when we started our space programme. Or our nuclear programme in the 60s. You don't need much money to start off. And it has high returns.
In fact for your information, College students are the safest investment for a government. The student is going to contribute to his economy over a 100 times more than what his government spent on him

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

I wasn't talking about elementary education now was I? But what progress is a country going to make with a 100 million 10th passes?

so u want to say without money BD should go for space programme , nuclear programme??? No thanx we prefer to concentrate on fundmental rights of common people... :what:

let me mention two BD scholar here

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdus_Suttar_Khan
http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fazlur_Khan

so u want to say without money BD should go for space programme , nuclear programme??? No thanx we prefer to concentrate on fundmental rights of common people... :what:

let me mention two BD scholar here

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdus_Suttar_Khan
http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fazlur_Khan

Thats what you guys do not understand. You accuse us by saying things like "meh bhartis. They have 3 billion poor but still spend 7 trillion dollars on space programme".. But what is your plan huh? FIRST uplift everyone from poverty, increase literacy and improve equality and then in 2040 start a programme? 100 years after the rest of the world? These things go hand in hand. You can't wait till all your other short term goals are complete.

And btw.. If I start naming aerospace researchers from NASA and boeing etc who were Indian, I'll fill the page. But truth is this is something we should be ashamed about. Our smart minds going to the USA. Reverse brain draining has beegun in India for the last decade or so now.

You can accept that all you want. India is wayy ahead. If bangladesh were so much better in education how come they lag behind India (understatement) in every scientific field? When was the last time you heard of a good bangladeshi research paper? Or a reputed Bangladeshi university (of IIT standards).
Truth is they lag behind. And these nationalists do not feel it now, but this lack of scientific progress will pinch them HARD in another 15 years

The BD members will answer you about PhDs and other higher education details i dnt know but one need to understand the difference between overall Literacy rate and higher education and in this field BD has a higher literacy rate in the subcontinent

Thats what you guys do not understand. You accuse us by saying things like "meh bhartis. They have 3 billion poor but still spend 7 trillion dollars on space programme".. But what is your plan huh? FIRST uplift everyone from poverty, increase literacy and improve equality and then in 2040 start a programme? 100 years after the rest of the world? These things go hand in hand. You can't wait till all your other short term goals are complete.

And btw.. If I start naming aerospace researchers from NASA and boeing etc who were Indian, I'll fill the page. But truth is this is something we should be ashamed about. Our smart minds going to the USA. Reverse brain draining has beegun in India for the last decade or so now.

ok i understand " mera bharat mohan " now please stick to the topic :offtopic:

Did his grad from Bengal Engineering College, Howrah! :P

i know about his friend..... who was more brilliant than him and also a student there...... He refused the scholarship to USA, worked in BD. No one knows him now!!! Fazlur khan utilized it and became world famous!! So this is not about Howrah or Dhaka!! this is all about opportunity!!

i know about his friend..... who was more brilliant than him and also a student there...... He refused the scholarship to USA, worked in BD. No one knows him now!!! Fazlur khan utilized it and became world famous!! So this is not about Howrah or Dhaka!! this is all about opportunity!!

That's true. Urban legend has it bengalis outside bengal are generally more successful and dedicated than those who stay put in bengal!

DHAKA, Bangladesh — Bangladeshi security officials on Sunday opened fire and used tear gas to disperse stone-throwing members of a hardline Islamic group protesting a government policy for women's equal right to inheritance, leaving one protester dead and 25 others injured.

Police official Mostafizur Rahman said the protesters had also used firearms during demonstrations in support of Monday's nationwide general strike meant to force the government to scrap the policy that the protesters brand as anti-Islamic.

According to Muslim family law, women can only claim a quarter of what men get from their parents. Under the new rules, every child would inherit the same amount.

Abdul Mannan, a local journalist, said the melee broke out after the security officials tried to prevent the demonstrators from marching through streets.

He said the demonstrators started throwing stones at police, prompting the security officials to act.

Witnesses and a police official said 19-year-old Ahmed Husein, a student of an Islamic school in Jessore, died instantly after he was shot during the clash.

Harunur Rashid, a protest leader, said Husein was shot by police, but Rahman denied the allegation. The police official said 25 others, including police and journalists, were injured.

The protesters were from Hefajat-e-Islam, which belongs to Islami Oikya Jote, an alliance of hardline groups usually tied to former Prime Minister Khaleda Zia's Bangladesh Nationalist Party.

The government of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, Zia's archrival, says it wants women to have greater rights in employment, inheritance and education.

Bangladesh is a Muslim-majority nation of 150 million people, but it is governed by secular laws, except in the arenas of family issues, such as marriage and inheritance.

Read more: Bangladesh: 1 dead in clash over women's rights | Nation/World News from AP | Star-Teleg...

According to Muslim family law, women can only claim a quarter of what men get from their parents. Under the new rules, every child would inherit the same amount.

Ignoring all the Bharti and ignorants. This is why this guys are protesting about. If change then it goes agains the Qur'an and Sunnah. Any muslim disagree with them. :undecided:

Its not about answering you or not, people who have knowledge in this regards will reply to you. Learn to google.

O.K then. Go and lecture your Muslim citizen and leave this Islamic matter to us. If you have gut then why don't you confront your muslim citizen and lets see how they welcome your proposal to change the Qur'an and Sunnah.

O.K then. Go and lecture your Muslim citizen and leave this Islamic matter to us. If you have gut then why don't you confront your muslim citizen and lets see how they welcome your proposal to change the Qur'an and Sunnah.

Refer to post 54 on page 4. Indian Muslims have option of using the Muslim Law of Inheritance or the codified law of the nation. Something similar could be done in Bangladesh. In that way progressive Bangladeshis who respect their women folk can give equal right and equal share in property to them. And the radical mullahs and molvis can keep saying(read below) for all I care.

But IOJ chairman Mufti Fazlul Haque Amini, who gave the strike call, has contended that Islam says ‘woman can never be equal to man’.

There is absolutely no reason why a small bunch of people, should drag the the progressive majority. :tdown:

Back
Top Bottom