What's new

Bangladesh Budget for fiscal 2011-2012, GDP and Defence spendiing

With the right economic policies Bangladesh GDP can be brought to $1 trillion in 10 years time.

from 110 Billion to 1 Trillion is a climb of 890 Billion and that is 800 % growth in 10 years !

And what are those "right" policies that can take you on such a great path ? What do you think will be the inflation when an economy is growing at what I can call it as escape velocity growth ?

from 110 Billion to 1 Trillion is a climb of 890 Billion and that is 800 % growth in 10 years !

And what are those "right" policies that can take you on such a great path ? What do you think will be the inflation when an economy is growing at what I can call it as escape velocity growth ?

As I mentioned earlier the $110 billion figure is gross underestimate. It excludes the black economy and a large portion of the service economy and the base year used is 1995-1996. The actual GDP is probably closer to $200 billion so adjust your figures accordingly.

As I mentioned earlier the $110 billion figure is gross underestimate. It excludes the black economy and a large portion of the service economy and the base year used is 1995-1996. The actual GDP is probably closer to $200 billion so adjust your figures accordingly.

That is a strong possibility.

That is a strong possibility.

lol it is not a possibility it is a fact.

And i am seriously surprised that people here are mixing up nominal gdp growth with real gdp growth. Nominal gdp growth includes inflation, therefore it is very possible that Bangladesh's nominal GDP growth will be around or more than 15% during this decade. Just for an example, Pakistan's real gdp growth was 2% while nominal gdp rose by around 17%. How is that possible? Basically all of it is inflation.

@ eastwatch : regarding the integrated steel mill thing, Abul Khair's new steel mill is an integrated one. They import steel billet and then take it all the way. Cost of this project was around $200m (1400 crore +)

so, BD's GDP almose equal to pakistan?,but your military force seems not on par with pakistan,why?

That is an excellent question. India does not want us to have a strong military. That is the only answer i can find.

It is a good thing that the military expenditure of BD is not high.The military is necessary.But not at the cost of development.A big military force is not an indicator of development and vice versa.

A big military can be a burden for the national economy,as in case of India and Pakistan.It is a good thing that Bangladesh is not in an arms race,because,once you start there is no end to it,and expenditure in arms and weapons is ,in some sense a loss after all.

So you are saying that your economy is 200 billion. OK. Then 500 % in 10 years . Tell me how ?

It is a good thing that the military expenditure of BD is not high.The military is necessary.But not at the cost of development.A big military force is not an indicator of development and vice versa.

A big military can be a burden for the national economy,as in case of India and Pakistan.It is a good thing that Bangladesh is not in an arms race,because,once you start there is no end to it,and expenditure in arms and weapons is ,in some sense a loss after all.

yeah BD has many positives on its side. Since its landlocked by india in three sides their are no major enemes to worry about (other than from inside:P).

So you are saying that your economy is 200 billion. OK. Then 500 % in 10 years . Tell me how ?

Last year's nominal gdp growth was 13%. Lets say our nominal gdp growth will be 15% as growth rate and inflation are expected to increase in the coming years.

Year 1 : 230 bn
Year 2 : 264 bn
Year 3 : 304 bn
Year 4 : 350 bn
Year 5 : 402 bn
Year 6 : 462.6 bn
Year 7 : 532 bn
Year 8 : 611 bn
Year 9 : 703 bn
Year 10 : 809 bn

And if you consider that in 2015 there will be another base change then it becomes even better.

Last year's nominal gdp growth was 13%. Lets say our nominal gdp growth will be 15% as growth rate and inflation are expected to increase in the coming years.

And if you consider that in 2015 there will be another base change then it becomes even better.

Not far from the target. I like your can do attitude. You should be our Finance Minister.

Not far from the target. I like your can do attitude. You should be our Finance Minister.

Lol, our current Finance Minister is a very good one, both as a person and as a finance minister. Infact he along with the education minister (Nahid) and agriculture minister (Matia Chowdhury) are the best 3 ministers of the current govt.

How did you come about with 230 billion? Isn't it too much since it is currently 110 billion. So you are saying black market is more than your current economy? I doubt that. Anyways nothing wrong in having dreams. Its also important to really work towards it.

How did you come about with 230 billion? Isn't it too much since it is currently 110 billion. So you are saying black market is more than your current economy? I doubt that. Anyways nothing wrong in having dreams. Its also important to really work towards it.

He is taking into consideration of rebase year 2005 instead of 1995.

Lol, our current Finance Minister is a very good one, both as a person and as a finance minister. Infact he along with the education minister (Nahid) and agriculture minister (Matia Chowdhury) are the best 3 ministers of the current govt.

Unfortunately it seems the Finance Minister is deeply involved in the share market scam. Well at least according to some allegations.

IMO Nahid is the best and only minister worthy of praise.

Back
Top Bottom