What's new

Ban Bollywood: Pakistan bigwigs

But those 'cheap churba' of Hollywood ie Bharti Hindu movies are still more popular in your country that is why they are asking for banning is not it? May be in your country everyone is not as 'intellect' as you to note that those Bharti movies are 'cheap churba' of Holly movies! BTW how do you know this, do you watch them regularly? :lol:

:rofl: Evil Bharti movies are trolling in pakistan!

BTW do not watch this video jana, you may have a heart attack! lol

if it would be bad if the policeman in the video was portraying the the character of chulbul panday in real life in his uniform, but he's not. I don't know if you saw the entire video you posted, I did, and policeman is saying he never saw the movie Dabung but people for some reason assosiate him with this character. And of course the channel people are to be blamed for adding a little 'masala' into the video by inserting songs in it. Other than that nothing wrong with the video.

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

A movie is ok.. a movie you see for 3 hours at maximum.. and the exposure is gone.. you've had your fun.
Its a different case with the damn KK serials.. they should be banned, those cable operators showing them should be shot.
They are a cultural and social threat.
Problem is, the majority of those who will still be able to watch these serials after a ban will be the wives of Pak mil officers.

the novelty of indian channels, esp. star plus, has worn out in Pakistan. People are watching Pakistani channels and dramas as usual. Though, the quality and content of some of Pakistani dramas can be questioned, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not the same crap again!!

Alright lets analyse the consequences:

Within pakistan:

1. Will pak film industry revive ? i'll give a 20% chance to the idea
2. Losses for cinema hall owners
3. losses for distributers
4. loss of entertainment for common movie theater going people.
5. will people go in huge nos to watch pak movies?? i doubt it, instead they will stay at home and watch pirated dvds
6. some chance of protest by distributers and hall owners!! it may seem rare but i'll give 10% chance.

from India,

1. the goodwill towards pakistani artists given by bollywood in form of giving movie roles and playback song contracts may be lost.
2. entry of pak music bands in india may also be reduced as invitations will reduce.
3. since bollywood is a huge industry it won't sit with hope of receiving pak artists again. it will look more towards west and talents within the country....

So my conclusion, banning is an absolute dumb move......

So shielding your kids from learning anything about other cultures is the way is it? Isnt it parents who should work towards imparting stronger cultural values to Pakistani children rather than blaming Indian movies and soaps whose impact is minimal compared to what family passes on?

Also...your point is moot since the bulk of the audience of Indian soaps are women NOT children. So to say that Kids are actively watching Saas Bahu serials which have a lot of adult concepts is itself disturbing.
I dont see how your observation holds true.

PS: Hum is the right term to refer to onesself...
Ist Hum= Me
Aap= You
Besides, this is meant for Indian audience, so criticizing this is as futile as expecting Hollywood movies to be made in urdu since "I, Me or Myself" is not how Pakistanis refer to themselves.

Are you also in favor of banning Hollywood movies, soaps, sitcoms etc since NONE of those represent Pakistani culture in any way, shape or form?

Read my previous posts again.. and then come to the bolded conclusion..

Hollywood is alien to us.
Watching something like "American Beauty" which has concepts entirely alien to our culture will not damage it.
An Indian movie, with a laid out script, last for three hours, is seen in the cinema.. with entertainment in mind and is forgotten.
It is however, close to our culture and therefore can infect it. Due to the duration of a movie though, and the nature of viewing.. the effect is generally minimal... its the occasional cigarette.. it rubs off.

An Indian soap, that shows a sankritized daily life filled with ridiculous social norms is your daily smoke..
A daily viewing of it will rub off in your subconscious..
Just like a violent video game.
A daily viewing of Hannah Montana too will rub off in your daily life.
I have started using "awesome" and "true story" a lot thanks to Barney stinson..

However, since I will not be using those terms or the language in daily usage.. It doesnt invade on my culture.
I will not be saying "shunia Shunia" for 0 .. I will still use "sifar"..
I will not use "asambhav".. Ill use "na mumkin".

banning Hindi movies has no use in Pakistan, I guess . it is not alone in Pakistan...
and I believe Indians have not much to get pride in Hindi Bollywood. it is said to be controlled from outside from the underworld days.

people are watching just for the craze of bollywood, it stands as a style icon(common people)?, the language,actor/actress - fans etc etc . may be, it is because Hollywood is much much away from common people's taste. although, most Hollywood movies released in Hindi,Tamil,Bangali,Telgu etc . still Hindi cinema gets a obsessive fan base even if the cinemas churned out are utter crap to tell the least. examples are too much to find. :P

Yar App log to Angel me bhi kami nikaal sakte ho agar wo aapki na ho to, fir bollywood movies ki kya haisiyat hai,

I never knew that no wonder i thought it was quite original at the time I should have known better, can't we Indians be more creative and think of our own movie ideas?

atleast we are reaching to pakistan, , can pakistani movie makers do that?

Whenever we do make movies of standard, your Indian actors seem to be the first one to praise them.

Being the critic's choice is not the ultimate, being the public's choice is ultimate. We Indians love entertainment however crappy it may be as we want full value for money, not necessary the film has be groundbreaking or a literary/artistic masterpiece. BTW i watched 2-3 pak movies till date, they were nice, but still i thought they lacked fun and energy, only serious suffs.

They can all Shut the F@#$K up, and let people decide what to watch and what not to. Majority of people love to watch indian movie so what is the fuss about?

Whenever we do make movies of standard, your Indian actors seem to be the first one to praise them.
Pakistanis story may be nice but their presentation is awful. If you see their trailer as compared to Bollywood they really suck.

Watching something like "American Beauty" which has concepts entirely alien to our culture will not damage it.
An Indian movie, with a laid out script, last for three hours, is seen in the cinema.. with entertainment in mind and is forgotten.
It is however, close to our culture and therefore can infect it. Due to the duration of a movie though, and the nature of viewing.. the effect is generally minimal... its the occasional cigarette.. it rubs off.

An Indian soap, that shows a sankritized daily life filled with ridiculous social norms is your daily smoke..
I have started using "awesome" and "true story" a lot thanks to Barney stinson..

However, since I will not be using those terms or the language in daily usage.. It doesnt invade on my culture.

So bottomline is that Pakistan has banned Bollywood movies due to fear of cultural invasion ?

If that is so , don't you think thats quite ridiculous reason to officially ban it ?

Certainly not a CBM :tdown:

So bottomline is that Pakistan has banned Bollywood movies due to fear of cultural invasion ?

If that is so , don't you think thats quite ridiculous reason to officially ban it ?

Certainly not a CBM :tdown:

I think Bollywood and start plus are our Weapons of mass destruction. They can really pollute their society. That is wonderful achievement.

I beg to differ.

In the case of "Vedic" cultural implications in Indian soaps and movies, they still happen to be an important part of the region and culture including Pakistan where the history of the land is in many ways tied to the culture. In addition, there are many Pakistani Hindus as well that can relate to these practices...Hence I think exposure to other cultures will only build tolerance...
I find it ridiculous that soaps or references to MangalSutra's will drive Pakistani kids to "shaadi" instead of "nikah"

It is however, close to our culture and therefore can infect it.

I find it disturbing that you choose to use the word "Infect" it. Cultural tolerance has to be imparted in our youth. They need to learn the uniqueness of our region and have to understand that Pakistan and India are not only about Hindu or Muslim...How else is one to eradicate the many misconceptions our two countries have wrt. each others cultures (some of it evident on this forum itself).
Besides with the mutual hatred and mistrust that our countries face, I think Movies and entertainment is definitely the kind of soft approach that can help bridge this gap...

Of course...I do agree with you that not ALL Indian entertainment is healthy....Some of it is pure crap and Im in favor of banning this...But I do not like that the "Mangal Sutra" is what sparked your line of argument.

Agreed. But my question was...Why are kids watching these shows which have quite a few adult concepts. Doesnt that bother you? Shouldnt parents be held accountable? What happened to Parental control?
Besides, I can see your argument hold true if Indian soaps were marketing to young malleable minds, but these shows are clearly targeted to adults who are well aware of "cultural and religious" implications.
I blame the parents...

LOL!! That just made me crack up....so true..

I have been using GOB quote "Ive made a huge mistake" for a while now....damn the tube

Precisely my point....except for a few words that may be used due to influence, for most part cultural effects are more due to environment, where exposure is more to family, friends and community, less by soaps

PS: You knowlege of Hindi/Sanskrit words is commendable

Pakistani women love India’s ‘saas-bahu’ sagas – The Express Tribune

Pakistani hijab ladies seem to love our hindu sanskriti soaps :D

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

The viewers are still very fond of Tulsi (Smriti Irani) and Parvati (Sakshi Tanwar), the protagonists of “Kyunkii Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thii” and “Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii” – the longest running soaps of Indian television – even though these ended a long time back.

So strong is their fascination that they often go hunting for jewellery pieces worn in the serials and equally often find Parvati or Tulsi style ornaments at Karachi’s local Sunday Bazaar and Sadar Bazaar!

Indians can make good money selling these items to our hijabi muslim lady friends :agree:

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

The more they ban it the more popular it becomes

Pakistanis snap up Satellite dishes for Indian soaps - Telegraph

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

"It is Pakistani girls who are nagging their husbands and fathers," he said.

"They love the dramas, the soap operas and say they won't cook until they can watch the programmes again."

We can destroy their lives by stopping these soaps being aired in Pakistan why don't RAW think of this idea before :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom