What's new

Balancing act: India engages with Saudi Arabia and Iran

Its a wise policy from India.
Chosing sides in a regional conflict, which India is not a party to, makes no sense. So the only rational policy is to be neutral and have a healthy working relationship with both.

Its the same reason why Iran does not choose between India or Pakistan. We want good ties with both countries.
Exactly. Its pure business!!

This enemy nonsense is highly exaggerated. I guess 99% of all countries of the world would like to have enemies such as Iran and Israel that we have not been at direct conflict with for the past 1400 years.

All while countries such as France-UK, Germany-France and Germany-Poland that have killed millions of each other for centuries in direct battles are very close friends and allies today.

Something to think about.

Saying that Israel and Iran have not been in conflict for 1400 years is a bit of a googly, because the state of Israel has only existed for 60 years. Before that, they were not a state, unless you go back to the times of the second temple. Today, the govt of Iran has claimed the intent to wipe Israel off the map, and I am sure the feelings are mutual.

The bit about Europe is quite easy, not much to think about actually. European countries were sworn enemies of each other for centuries, until WW2 when they devastaded themselves, and USA became the predominant force of the western hemisphere. (And USSR for a few decades.) But after WW2, and esablishment of the UN, they learnt to live in peace with each other, and are not sworn enemies anymore. Democratic governments answerable to the people, rather than rule by monarchs and despots, freedom of speech and movement, separation of church and state, all this reduced conflicts and increased trade and integration. In short, European society evolved for the better.

The middle east has not evolved like that, yet. Wars are still started at the whims of a monarch or dictator, and religious people want to see other religious people evaporated. (I know it doesn't apply to all religious people, but it doesn't have to.) The middle east is still full of conflicts, big and small, and there is not going to be an end to that until people begin to rule themselves, and the role of religion in society diminishes, and the role of religion in govt ends.

I don't know how you translate the word ''USE'' but here let me rephrase what I said earlier. I was saying that Saudi Arabia has the ability to provide India with what it needs at a lower cost than that of Iran. That will definitely fall under your interests and will make india less dependent on Iran which means less profit for Iran. This is how business works.

I hope you get it now.

India and Iran have very close relationship and shared interests in for example Afghanistan.
Iran and India intelligence cooperation was crucial for the establishment of the Northern Alliance, and now we are working on a port to facilitate Indian and Iranian trade to and from Afghanistan.
Cant see Saudi Arabia trying to blackmail or pressure India, to reduce its relations with Iran. Maybe you are overestimating your means to influence other countries, especially such a large and powerful one such as India.

India and Iran have very close relationship and shared interests in Afghanistan. Iran and India cooperation was crucial for the establishment of Northern Alliance, and now we are working on a port to facilitate Indian and Iranian trade to and from Afghanistan.
Cant see Saudi Arabia trying to blackmail or pressure India, to reduce its relations with Iran. Maybe you are overestimating your means to influence other countries, especially such a large and powerful one such as India.

Not at all. Boosting economic ties with India and providing it with oil and row materials at lower price will make indian abandon Iran by itself. If india can buy from Saudi Arabia at low prices why would india buy from Iran at a high cost?

Not at all. Boosting economic ties with India and providing it with oil and row materials at lower price will make indian abandon Iran by itself. If india can buy from Saudi Arabia at low prices why would indian buy from Iran at a high cost?
There was an article the other day in an Israeli paper about the close relationship with India, but disquiet in Israel over India's reluctance to properly admonish Iran and bring the Iranian terrorists to justice over the terrorist attack against an Israeli diplomat.

Hopefully if India and Saudi do strike a deal with regards to Oil, Iran will be squeezed out.

Not at all. Boosting economic ties with India and providing it with oil and row materials at lower price will make indian abandon Iran by itself. If india can buy from Saudi Arabia at low prices why would indian buy from Iran at a high cost?
It's Iran that is under sanctions and unable to sell its oil or gas, therefore Iran which will sell to a lower price to whoever is willing to buy. KSA can sell to anybody in the world, including richh americans and europeans. But Iran has to make delectable concessions and offers, for countries to ignore american pressure and buy from Iran. So Iran offers attractive rates to India, and even used to accept payment in Indian rupees or barter, which tremendously allowed us to rein in fiscal deficit and the drain of forex reserves.

I'm sure KSA can afford to outsweeten the deals if they want to, but so far it's been Iran that has offered us these concessions, because they have a hard time selling.

BTW, doesn't Saudi have to sell oil at the rates fixed by the OPEC?

I don't know how you translate the word ''USE'' but here let me rephrase what I said earlier.

When you say you are using somebody against someone else it's a negative connotation. There are no two ways about it.

I was saying that Saudi Arabia has the ability to provide India with what it needs at a lower cost than that of Iran. That will definitely fall under your interests and will make india less dependent on Iran which means less profit for Iran. This is how business works.

I hope you get it now.

India has had a long strategic relationship with Iran and you can't take India away from Iran to your "side", no matter what you do. You cannot dictate our relationship with Iran or with anybody else for that matter and vice versa. I guess you did not read the OP. That is precisely what it is about. India is capable of keeping a stable working relationship with both KSA and Iran. We are not fools to put all the eggs in one basket.

Last edited:
@janon

I am talking about KSA versus Israel and Iran. So Israeli-Iranian relations here are not relevant.

Let me remind you of the fact that the GCC is the most prosperous region in the Muslim world and one of the most prosperous in the entire world. Also one of the most stable, peaceful and united regions. We have not been at war for decades or participated in any major wars since WW2.

Anyway this below might interest the Indian users:

Trade and cultural links between ancient Arabia and ancient India date back to third millennium BC.[1]

Heptulla, Nejma. Indo-West Asian relations: the Nehru era. Allied Publishers, 1991.ISBN9788170233404.

Not at all. Boosting economic ties with India and providing it with oil and row materials at lower price will make indian abandon Iran by itself. If india can buy from Saudi Arabia at low prices why would india buy from Iran at a high cost?

Yes your logic is right .

but there come a big "if" in the middle.

We are very eager about how much cheaper than Iran, Oil you are selling ? 20% 30% .. what is the number.

@janon

I am talking about KSA versus Israel and Iran. So Israeli-Iranian relations here are not relevant.

Let me remind you of the fact that the GCC is the most prosperous region in the Muslim world and one of the most prosperous in the entire world. Also one of the most stable, peaceful and stable regions. We have not been at war for decades or participated in any major countries since WW2.

Anyway this below might interest the Indian users:

Well, KSA and Iran have been in proxy wars, and still is today (in syria, for instance).

But yes, I know the rest of what you are saying, about trade stretching back millenia. That is true for India and the entire arab world, as well as India and Iran. I think there are some references in the Arabian night tales, about mechants sailing to India from the port of Basra. The water body on India's west is not called Arabian sea without reason!

India does business with Pakistan as well. importing onions and potatoes and cement from them. so whats the big deal here?

Both these countries are incapable of "using" or "pressuring" India. Anyway, we should stay the f*ck away from their political/religious/sectarian conflicts, it doesn't concern us. This goes for Israel as well.

India does business with Pakistan as well. importing onions and potatoes and cement from them. so whats the big deal here?

Both these countries are incapable of "using" or "pressuring" India. Anyway, we should stay the f*ck away from their political/religious/sectarian conflicts, it doesn't concern us. This goes for Israel as well.

The difference is that onion/potato/cement trade is not the backbone of Pakistan's economy, or the source of their power and importance. But oil and natural gas is, for the middle east.

If Pakistan can't sell a single onion, they wouldn't be too different from what they are. But if GCC can't sell a drop of oil...

Pakistan, like the rest, is at war with terror as well.
Are you joking @Yzd Khalifa ?
Are you unaware of Pakistani support to terrorist groups throughout the region particularly in Afghanistan and Kashmir?

Pakistan has been the primary source of terror and is now at war with its own creations...which is hardly like the rest of the world which battles terror which more often than not has some connection to Pakistan.

Last edited:
Listen son, the first thing you did was to excuse terrorism against Israelis in your country.

Luckily I know Indians are good people in general and you're just a rotten little toad. Every country has twats like you.

No I didn't .You are speaking out of your *** again.I merely pointed out Israel indulges in these so called terrorist activities too, probably more than anyone else in the world.I asked if you were aware of this.

Apparently, it was enough to get your panties in a twist :D
Jog on.

Back
Top Bottom