What's new

Baitullah Mehsud bites the dust, confirmed! :)

Asim Aquill, here is what XYON said:

To me, that was flaming, unnecesary and provocative. I replied with:

My response was no more provocative than XYON's. Get real. Pakistanis here at the PDF should be able to take what they dish out......If you want respectful discourse, then be respectful yourselves.
Oh please, wrong quote there, TS...

I'm talking about where you start labeling people as irhabi sympathizers.

TruthSeeker said:
... I responded to all the anti-USA flames that are posted by the various conspiracy theorists and irhabis here
You can't label ANYONE as an irhabi here or for that matter conspiracy theorist. It's the weak man's argument to resort to character assassination of the person you're debating with.

Please refrain from making comments about MEMBERS of this board. We've banned people for much less while saying things about you. That same protection is granted to ALL members of this forum. If you continue to persist on attacking the members of this board and not engaging them on the topic, then we'll be forced to take tougher measures.

Are we going to see an increase in drone strikes in Pakistan after this successful hit?

The Associated Press: Lethal drone strike bolsters use of such attacks

WASHINGTON — The lethal drone attack that apparently killed a top Taliban leader in Pakistan is likely to bolster America's dual effort there: solidifying a sometimes shaky partnership with Islamabad while pursuing insurgents hidden along the country's border.

American officials and analysts said it may be too early to tell if the strike that apparently killed Baitullah Mehsud will prompt Pakistan to sustain its suddenly active campaign against Taliban and other militant leaders in the lawless region bordering Afghanistan.

But taking out Pakistan's most wanted terrorist provides validation for the continued use of the unmanned air assaults that have been hammering insurgents there since late last year. Pakistani and U.S. intelligence officials said the drone attack against the home of a Mehsud relative was carried out by the CIA.

The strike gives a boost to the Obama administration's remapping of counterterrorism policy, a strategy that melds persistent attacks against insurgents with the expanded use of "soft power," such as economic development, to help win public support against terrorists around the world.

Counterterrorism officials would not disclose details behind the strike, but American and Pakistani commanders have been working more closely together in recent months, sharing intelligence and coordinating attacks, officials said.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity in order to discuss intelligence matters.

Some experts cautioned that the U.S.-Pakistani partnership is still fragile and a tough sell domestically in Pakistan. They worry that the elimination of Pakistan's most dangerous internal threat could just as easily tamp down Islamabad's enthusiasm for future operations in the rugged South Waziristan tribal region.

U.S. authorities said Friday they are increasingly confident that Mehsud was killed in Wednesday's U.S. missile strike in northeastern Pakistan.

"This is an important step for the U.S.-Pakistani relations," said Juan Zarate, former top counterterrorism official in the Bush administration. "Mehsud was really a charismatic figure that was able to galvanize — based on his history, his experience and his brutality — his militaries to attack Pakistan and U.S. interests."

Mehsud had increasingly turned his attention to U.S. and other Western targets as he directed suicide attacks and sent recruits across the border into Afghanistan, said Zarate, now a senior adviser at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Complaints by some Pakistani leaders that the Americans had refused on earlier occasions to target Mehsud were largely dismissed by U.S. officials. The use of armed drones ramped up in the waning days of the Bush administration and has continued at a busy pace during the first seven months of Obama's term.

U.S. officials said Mehsud has been a target for some time although there may have been targeting disagreements in the past. One U.S. counterterrorism official said there are sometimes conflicts over tactics, even as the broader goals remain the same.

The use of drone strikes in Pakistan has long been focused on high-priority al-Qaida leaders such as Osama bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahiri, but in recent months top Taliban figures such as Mehsud also came into range.

U.S. officials say choices also take into account the quality and timelines of the intelligence about possible targets as well as the availability of resources, conflicts with other operations and concerns about possible consequences such as civilian casualties.

Last year U.S. and Pakistan military officials met in a secret session in which Pakistani leaders agreed to target al-Qaida operatives in return for greater U.S. action against militant tribal leaders such as Mehsud who were a more significant threat to Pakistan.

Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, has traveled to Pakistan no fewer than 13 times in the past two years, meeting with his military counterparts to foster better coordination.

As U.S. counterterrorism officials worked to nail down details of the strike and its impact on the insurgency, the Taliban were holding a "shura" council to choose Mehsud's successor, intelligence officials and militants told The Associated Press.

That gathering, U.S. officials said, underscores the group's ability to re-energize itself and could convince Pakistan of a need to continue its military operations in the tribal region.

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said the operation "demonstrates the amount of cooperation that you're seeing between our government and the government of Pakistan in stamping out the Taliban, al-Qaida and other terrorist organizations that would seek to destabilize the area."

Rep. Ike Skelton, D-Mo., chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, called Mehsud's death "a sign that our joint efforts with Pakistan's military to combat al-Qaida and other terrorists are working."

‘He was clearly visible with his wife,’ a senior security official, who saw the video footage, said. ‘And the missile hit the target as it was. His torso remained, while half of the body was blown up.’
Can't wait till it hits Youtube!

You can't label ANYONE as an irhabi here or for that matter conspiracy theorist. It's the weak man's argument to resort to character assassination of the person you're debating with.

Please refrain from making comments about MEMBERS of this board. We've banned people for much less while saying things about you. That same protection is granted to ALL members of this forum. If you continue to persist on attacking the members of this board and not engaging them on the topic, then we'll be forced to take tougher measures.

Thanks for being crystal clear about the rules here. I did not realize that I had been protected without my asking for protection. I'll follow your above directions faithfully. If any MEMBERS of this board attack me, personally, I will report their posts to you for appropriate action, instead of responding in kind. :agree:

Knowledgable local media reports have recently hinted at the presence of TTP sympathisers inside the military establishment. [...]

More recently, as reported by the local media, [...]

The contention of some prominent pakistani media circles is [...]

Can you specify which prominent Pakistani media make these claims?

Fifth column sellouts like Dawn.com don't count.

Good riddance, killer Baitullah

PESHAWAR: Pakistan’s most dreaded Taliban leader Baitullah Mehsud was killed in a US Predator strike, a senior security official confirmed.

‘This is one hundred per cent. We have no doubt about his death,’ the official said, requesting he not be named. ‘He is dead and buried.’

The US is believed to have shared with the Pakistani authorities a video feed of the drone strike which, according to credible sources, has left no room for doubt that the most feared man in Pakistan was indeed dead.

One of the missiles, according to the sources, hit the roof of the upper-storey of the house, killing Baitullah and his younger wife for less than a year.

‘He was clearly visible with his wife,’ a senior security official, who saw the video footage, said. ‘And the missile hit the target as it was. His torso remained, while half of the body was blown up.’

The strike also hit the vehicle that had brought Baitullah to the house of his father-in-law Malik Ikramuddin who had been shuttling between his son-in-law and the government to negotiate a new peace deal.

The Taliban immediately shut down the three telephone lines in Zanghara and threw a five-kilometre security cordon around the area to block the leakage of news about the death of their leader.

The news of Baitullah’s possible death was in the air since Wednesday’s drone attack that according to initial reports had killed his wife and father-in-law.

On Thursday night information that he too had been killed had started coming out of the Mehsud territory in bits and pieces, and throughout the day it remained the only topic of discussion within the country.

Initially, the government was quite reluctant to openly confirm the news. In his uncharacteristically cautious remarks Interior Minister Rehman Malik said he had information but no evidence to suggest that the TTP leader had in fact been killed.

A few hours later, the first confirmation of sorts came from the foreign minister. ‘Yes my intelligence sources have confirmed that he has been killed,’ Shah Mehmood Qureshi told reporters in Islamabad. But he too qualified it by saying that it needed to be authenticated through other means.

A report suggested that Baitullah might have been buried in Nargosha area of Shabikhel — a place his father had abandoned after developing a blood feud before moving to Bannu to serve as a prayer leader in a mosque in Landi Dhok.

It is understood that the strike to take out Baitullah was the outcome of a joint Pakistan-US intelligence operation that may, according to some officials, indicate a new level of trust between the often mutually suspicious intelligence agencies of the two countries.

The Taliban have withheld an announcement about the death of their leader, pending nomination of his successor, amid intelligence reports that a Mehsud militant shura met for the third day running at a secret location in Ludda in the volatile South Waziristan to nominate a new leader.

The meeting short-listed three candidates but stopped short of naming one, suggesting a power struggle among main contenders, a senior government official said.

Waliur Rehman, a deputy to Baitullah, is said to be leading the list with majority of shura members siding with him.

The forty-something Wali is Baitullah’s cousin and an Alizai Mehsud by tribe and hails from the village of Tangi in Serwekai.

The next on the list is the young, brash and aggressive Hakeemullah Mehsud, until very recently Baitullah’s commander for Kurram, Orakzai and Khyber tribal regions before he was recalled to South Waziristan to face off a possible military operation.

Hakeemullah, who once worked as Baitullah’s driver, was considered to be very close to the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan leader and was widely considered to be his likely successor.

‘Baitullah had groomed him well for the task,’ a senior military official said. ‘He could be a natural choice, but his shooting-from-the-hip attitude may actually down his chances.’

The third in the line of serious contenders is little known 50-year-old Azmatullah Mehsud, a Taliban commander in Barwand.

‘The failure by the shura to quickly come up with a Baitullah successor indicates a power struggle within the key players,’ a senior government official said.

‘It’s not just the key players within the Mehsud clans wanting the mantle of leadership, the Ahmadzai Wazir militants in Wana and the Utmankhels’ leader in Miramshah would like to take on the mantle. They are lobbying and jockeying for power,’ the official said.

‘And I think the Haqqani-Al Qaeda network will play a pivotal role in the whole process,’ the official said, referring to Siraj Haqqani, son of veteran Taliban leader Jalaluddin Haqqani.

The young Haqqani, often referred to as Khalifa Siraj, is Mullah Omar’s pointman for North and South Waziristan. Baitullah had taken oath of allegiance to Khalifa Siraj, who had helped the 37-year-old gain leadership of the Taliban in South Waziristan at the expense of the one-legged former Guantanamo detainee, Abdullah Mehsud.

But government and security officials watching the scene unfolding in South Waziristan say Baitullah’s death is a major setback for the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan.

‘This is a big setback for them. Baitullah was a phenomenon. It will take them a considerable time to regain their composure,’ the security official said.

‘The man has taken a lot of secrets with himself and for any successor will need a lot of time to rebuild and re-establish various linkages and connect the dots,’ the official said.

‘He was the Osama bin Laden of Pakistan,’ remarked a senior analyst. ‘Consider the damage his death would cause to his movement.’

The TTP has suffered major setbacks in Bajaur, Mohmand and Swat and the death of Baitullah will further dent its strength, the official said. ‘It may now longer be the TTP that we knew,’ he remarked.

Still some security officials warned it was too early to write off the TTP. ‘You will have to wait to see who succeeds Baitullah before making any presumptions. A lot will depend on the character of the man who steps into Baitullah’s shoes. There will be call for blood and revenge from the rank and file of the Taliban and then he will also have to establish his credentials and leadership. So there may be some fireworks in the offing,’ one official remarked.

DAWN.COM | Pakistan | Good riddance, killer Baitullah
First signs of power struggle?

I wonder if our guys can influence a power struggle by playing all sides. But that's a good shopping list, perhaps we should aim for all of them next. If there are like 5 guys in the 1st tier of the TTP leadership vying for power, imagine how many there'd be in the 2nd tier. The TTP may not be dead right now, but it definitely will be if these 5 guys are taken out.

So, BFD? Thanks for doing what you should have done eight years ago. You are agreeing that Pakistan DID need to DO MORE. When the ISI finally got off their a$$e$, some of the bad guys could be brought to room temperature, courtesy of the USA. You're welcome. Obviously, the PA didn't have the wherewithal to get him, even when the ISI knew where he was.

Thanks for reinforcing my point. For the last eight years your Predators (thanks to the Bush-Dick duo) were solo-shooting innocents and were blaming it on ISI. It is until recently when your CIA has involved our intel folks to verify the shoot, we have started to see some results including the end of Mehsud.

So be a man, take it like it is and remember, we have civilization in this area that pre-dates most likely your umpteenth granpa!! We know how things work down here unlike your suits in the CIA. :pakistan:

I would like to say the old saying, "A man who lives by sword, also dies by sword." This is what happened to Baitullah Mehsud, the Taliban warlord. He has ordered the killing of many Muslims in Pakistan that include probably Benazir Bhutto.

Lust of power and fame, not ideology, propelled him to go against his own govt. It is rumoured that he was being covertly financed by the Indians. His rebellion was designed to destabilize Pakistan. I do not particularly regret his death.

His death will certainly strengthen the unity of Pakistan and make India nerveous. However, India is happy that he was not captured alive. Now, there remains no direct proof that India was financing his war against Pakistan.

Asim Aquill, here is what XYON said:

To me, that was flaming, unnecesary and provocative. I replied with:

My response was no more provocative than XYON's. Get real. Pakistanis here at the PDF should be able to take what they dish out......If you want respectful discourse, then be respectful yourselves.

Hi Truthseeker,

What the F should we have done 8 years ago---clean the sh-t that you left behind---your generals had no clue of the job at hand---your analysts failed to to analyze the enemy's strength---your army was nowhere to be found where it was needed the most---every tom---dick and harry of theworld knew where your troops were needed the most---except for the generals and the glorious sec def.

This misery that we are seeing in pakistan---afghanistan and pak afghan border---is purely due to the stupidity of the american millitary brass and none else---you fools came into the theatre swinging your big stick---with pomp and glory---and now that you have been taken down from your galloping steed---where 60 to 70 % of the country is in the control of the taliban---who attack anyone and everyone at their discretion---victory is nowhere in sight.

You and the rest of yuor colleagues should have taken this oppurtunity to learn something from being on this board---but you come here trying to force your thinking on the locals---you should have understood by now that your ways were reckless and the way of the loosers---by this time---you should have been able to understand the reasons for your defeat in afghanistan and realized the futility of your actions.

From a miniscule operation to take down AL QAEDA and its leadership---this operation has created amonster---bad judgement---bad planning---bad execution of the plan---american army is trying to hide its failures of not neutralizing al qaeda under the disguise turning this war into war against taliban .

I also wanna see him blown into pieces that little piece of dust

Black sheep are every where. They might be in the PAF, Army, Police anywhere. If the politicians and bureaucrats of this country have been involved with the terrorists the military is no exception, and no one have ever denied that, but then you are just making a mockery out of it.

25 years!!! Sir with due respect the dudes who were there collaborating with the actual Talibans 25 years ago have either died or atleast have retired, now if a retired dude can influence our military thinking and policy then i think there is no need to have serving senior officers commanding and making the policy of our military!

And lastly it was not a love affair that we had with the Talibans that even after 25 years we still mourn them. Feeding them was in our intrest then and we supported them, kicking them is again in our benefit now, so we are kicking them. It's simple mathematics!

Yes they were, so what. We dont recruit angels in the military. They all come from the Pakistani breed, like you and me, so we have to bear them, but the thing is were they caught and tried or were they left and pampered?

Refer to the reply above.

BTW, this shouldnt be bothering you as we have politicians who still support the talibans openly and are against the military operation. We do have many sympathizers here on PDF, we do have taliban supporters among our Nation and they would remain as such, but the question is are these elements being nipped or are they being allowed to take over the better half of ours?

Allow me to enlighten you that most of these rotten eggs (not apples, i like apples!) have been caught and taken to task, but unfortunately people like you who drool over the military have failed to point out other rascals hiding in plain sight in our society in the garb or politicians and civilians who open handedly support terrorism and sympathize with them!

hmm - seems to me that we are in agreement for the most part as you rightly point out the military is not immune to taliban sympathisers not unlike our political setup.

You mentioned that 'most of these rotten eggs' in the military have been caught. Does that mean some rotten eggs are still remaining? That was the key contention cited in my post. :)

Can you cite any examples of rotten eggs 'taken to task' within the Army over the last one year - say since Sep 2008?

Your main gripe seems to be that people like me focus on the military but fail to mention the pro-taliban politicians.

If you had read my earlier posts on various threads, you'd know I've clearly lambasted the Jamaat Islami for its pro-TTP/extremist stance as the party has simply become a mouthpiece for the taliban extremists and their salafi paymasters.

Hope you feel better now. :)

Last edited:
Baitullah Mehsud is alive, still holding command of Taliban fighters: Hakimullah Mehsud

Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan, a coalition of various Taliban groups, has refuted the reports about killing of Taliban supremo Baitullah Mehsud in a drone strike. Hakimullah Mehsud, an influential Taliban commander while refuting the reports has said the Taliban will release a video of Baitullah Mehsud. He said Baitullah Mehsud was alive and still holding the command of Taliban fighters. He promised to release a recorded video of Mehsud within two to three days.

Baitullah Mehsud is alive, still holding command of Taliban fighters: Hakimullah Mehsud | Pakistan | News | Newspaper | Daily | English | Online

I would like to say the old saying, "A man who lives by sword, also dies by sword." This is what happened to Baitullah Mehsud, the Taliban warlord. He has ordered the killing of many Muslims in Pakistan that include probably Benazir Bhutto.

Lust of power and fame, not ideology, propelled him to go against his own govt. It is rumoured that he was being covertly financed by the Indians. His rebellion was designed to destabilize Pakistan. I do not particularly regret his death.

His death will certainly strengthen the unity of Pakistan and make India nerveous. However, India is happy that he was not captured alive. Now, there remains no direct proof that India was financing his war against Pakistan.

India has much much more to gain from a stable confident and prosperous Pakistan than to have an area on it's western border run by warlords, following archiac way of life...

And not only Pakistan, it would help India much more to have stable confident and prosperous Bangladesh, Bhutan, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Myanmar and Afghanistan... than to help anyone take them back to stone age...

May be you should re-look at your perceptions.

Most probably he is saying this to get some time.

TTP will only declare their amir to be dead once they choose new successor .

Because declaring him dead now will lower the morale of fighters and will promote division.

I think its part of their strategy to deny his death.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom