What's new

Army should be looking for a NEW Sub Machine Gun (SMG)

it is far easier to re chamber a weapon with the same caliber, as all they have to do is reduce the length of the round from 51 to 39. than to change the caliber of the weapon in addition to changing the length of the round.

the best smg ie if we are to go down that road, for PA would be ak 74. it uses a 5.56 round along with the fact that it is battle proven and very reliable and most parts are interchangable with an ak

but it would have been better if PA had gone with H&K 417, as it would have served both as an smg and as an assault rifle.
PA does not have the resources for the extravagance of choosing a weapon for each catagory

Ak-74 chambers the 5.45x39mm round.

G-3 and PA have a very good relationship with each other at the moment, well explained by XYON. The concern was MP-5, since last 4 years or so IMO. Then when Type 56 was inducted, it's own problems came up.

Actually the Chinese Type-56 SMG was an 'emergency-basis' short-term measure to immediately equip the troops (who had refused to fight with the 9mm MP5) with a 7.62x39mm AK-47 type weapon that would not cost a lot. Proper & official 'induction' of the SMG type for Pakistan Army will be done on the basis of the trials of the three weapons as explained in this thread.

G-3 and PA have a very good relationship with each other at the moment, well explained by XYON. The concern was MP-5, since last 4 years or so IMO. Then when Type 56 was inducted, it's own problems came up.

Actually the Chinese Type-56 SMG was an 'emergency-basis' short-term measure to immediately equip the troops (who had refused to fight with the 9mm MP5) with a 7.62x39mm AK-47 type weapon that would not cost a lot. Proper & official 'induction' of the SMG type for Pakistan Army will be done on the basis of the trials of the three weapons as explained in this thread.

Yup.

Any idea how many Type 56's were inducted?

Exact quantity unknown at this time and dependent on the availability of funds with GHQ for this purpose every year! However roughly, around 30-40 thousand!!

And what's the expected number of the new SMG to be inducted? (considering it will replace 2 guns)

Exact quantity unknown at this time and dependent on the availability of funds with GHQ for this purpose every year! However roughly, around 30-40 thousand!!

All three weapons seem to be looking good, probably The Czech race will win the race, as it looks nice and performance wise hopefully well, hope Insallah the Army will get a weapon which will stand by the soldier , so how much do they cost? per unit??

I hope you are talking about the new Type-56s with the folded butt stock, the ones being manufactured at POF, which have been giving problems to the troops.

The older Type-56s with the fixed bayonet & fixed butt had very good reviews and was preferred a lot. It was a reliable weapon system as far as i know during the time i knew about it.

The older Type-56s with the fixed bayonet & fixed butt had very good reviews and was preferred a lot. It was a reliable weapon system as far as i know during the time i knew about it.

The ones with the fixed bayonets were the exact identical copies of AK-47 (earlier versions), later on, with some receiver modifications, the bayonet was made folding.

Yes it is the Type 56 Chinese AK with a folding stock that has an orange..ish plastic piece in it!

The ones with the fixed bayonets were the exact identical copies of AK-47 (earlier versions), later on, with some receiver modifications, the bayonet was made folding.

Yes that is true, but I do not think that the Chinese Type-56 with folding stock is being manufactured at POF? These guns were purchased from China in fully assembled form.

Yeah, heard that its having lot of issues in the field.

Yes that is true, but I do not think that the Chinese Type-56 with folding stock is being manufactured at POF? These guns were purchased from China in fully assembled form.

XYON, what do you think of the accuracy of the Type-56 and effective range, is it accurate, what is the effective range ? and do you think the new selected weapon will have the effective range desired

well whatever officers i met have mentioned it to be manufactured at POF, the reason was the tribal operations, as troops preferred this weapon alot. And they all cursed the POF, all said that the old one with the fixed stock is much much better compared to this new one, and since its a Pakistani version, that is why its giving prbs as they have not made the quality of the weapon as Chinese do. I myself had doubts about origin being POF, but since last few years POF had been showing a version of the AK-47 at international defence shows, which means they have the capability to manufacture AK-47s, thus if they had the capability since last many years then why get it from the Chinese. I was even told, that the folding stock AK-47s were ordered by another country also, but returned or order cancelled due to poor quality of the weapons and as an alternate they were handed to the PA for their use. And POF first tried to produce and export the Russian type AK-47, but due to the complaint of Russia that we are doing an illegal thing as we don't have the licence for producing AK-47s, the design was changed to look more like the Chinese AK-47s.

I think you are in a more better position then me to check out and know the facts. But POF can produce AK-47s.

Plus, kindly clear, is the new gun being procured to replace MP-5s or the newly inducted Type-56Cs ?? I bet the old ones are not going to be replaced as troops love that one.

Back
Top Bottom