What's new

Arjun Goes Gold

I still am confused with respect to names:P
Wiki says T90M is Bhishma but I think that T90S is Bhishma!
Can anyone tell me??

I still am confused with respect to names:P
Wiki says T90M is Bhishma but I think that T90S is Bhishma!
Can anyone tell me??

Bhishma is the name for it in Indian service the T90 Bhishma is just a regular T90S with Indian modifications to it while the T90M is a much more advanced and more capable variant of the T90S with new armor and other advanced systems that come from India Israel and France the T90M is one of the worlds most advanced tanks and can hold its own against tanks like the M1 and Leopard

look........

in terms of capability the tank order goes like this from the specs i've seen of each tank (and i have) from best to least capable

currently (from best to least capable)

1. T90M
2. Arjun MK1

I doubt this. Both T-90M and Arjun mk1 might be fairly equal.

I Think the indian doing this all wrong. Why on earth would you buy a small number of tank that cost 8M USD while you have 2000 T72 to replace. I Think India should invest more strategic and smarter, and BTW the K2 Black panther costs 8.5 Million USD Making it the world expensive tank it even got a place in the guinnes world book of records.

@Omega-I read that the T90M has superior SPS with Kaktus embedded ERA which is better than the ones on the T90S which has the Kontakt5(but we did not order them)
Can you provide sources for Arjun Mark1 having NERA/ERA.
Edit-Also,the SAAB LEDS is what we have ordered for our T90's and it is not a standard equipment on the T-series as far as I know:)

You just answered yourself.Relict ERA is great but we are not getting it,atleast not for forseeble future.So the armor of T 90M will be same as T 90S.So only in the SPS,the T90M will be ahead than Arjun MkI but will lag way behind in every other field.
I just wanted to ask that how T90M suddenly becomes superior to Arjun MkI just by adding the APS.

I Think the indian doing this all wrong. Why on earth would you buy a small number of tank that cost 8M USD while you have 2000 T72 to replace. I Think India should invest more strategic and smarter, and BTW the K2 Black panther costs 8.5 Million USD Making it the world expensive tank it even got a place in the guinnes world book of records.

Still it is not clear if 8Mill is production cost or lifetime cost. Please keep patient till the cloud of unertainity clears.

In the forum some one suggested that 5000 tanks are needed for Indian Army. T72 and T90 will make the count to 3500. So there is some hope that Arjuna can get some luck.

till today 248 Arjuna is in order (124 MKI and 124 MKII). I am hoping that It may goes upto 1000. and cost will come down by 15-20%.

@shribatsa,the report of the successful development of the indigenous honeycomb NERA came out in 2009.It was reported by pretty reliable sources like the domainb,frontier india and also by Ajay Sukla in the broadsword.Find it.
REGARDS....

Enough of your this heavy weight bs.It has been proven time and time again that in a modern battlefield,whenever the heavy weight meets the midium weight,it's game over for the later.Did you forget how the 'fat and ugly' M1 Abrams just f**ked up those 'sleek and sexy' T 72s in desert storm??
That's bs! Are you not aware that it's the type of armament on a tank and its KP (accuracy) that counts and not the weight of the tank? In any case, you don't need a K-Kill but just an M-kill to take a tank out of action. One can even knock out a tank from a jeep mounted rcl gun!

And those 'sleek and sexy' T-72s were a generation behind the M1 Abrams. You can't compare the two!

And why do you think that T 90s will perform bettdr in punjab valley than Arjun MkI when Arjun has lower ground pressure than that of those 38 ton T 55s??in punjab valley than Arjun MkI when Arjun has lower ground pressure than that of those 38 ton T 55s??
Firstly we're talking T-90s and Arjuns, not T-55s! Secondly a lower ground pressure per sq/cm only means that mobility is unaffected over sandy/marshy terrain and NOT whilst crossing canals where its full weight is brought to bear on a bridge. More the overall weight, more the bridge classification. Until we get the Arjun BLTs or similar bridges in adequate numbers to support the Arjun's weight, it would continue to be unsuitable for operations in canal/riverine terrain. Period!

My comments in bold.
Can you please enlighten me about the points you've made:)
Thanks.
Answered here (I hope!) :rolleyes:

As regards transporting tanks in a battlefield scenario, a formation may need to switch axes that may be hundreds of km apart. You don't expect a couple of tank transporters to do the job. It would take weeks! Therefore the requirement of having adequate number of transporters for quick switchovers at one go. The window available for retaining a balanced disposition and battlefield initiative would not be more than a couple of days!

This was unusual because, until then, the Arjun was considered an expensive and embarrassing failure. Development of the Arjun began in the 1980s, and until five years ago, the army had received only five of them, for evaluation purposes. The evaluation did not go well. Originally, the Arjun was to have replaced thousands of Russian tanks, but after so many delays, the army only reluctantly ordered 128 Arjun Mk 1s (for equipping the 140th Armored Brigade). These are still being delivered. The 2010 test results put renewed pressure on the army to buy more Arjuns. Last year’s tests imply that the Arjun has really fixed all the problems it was having with its electronics (mainly the fire control system). But Arjun has also had problems with its engine, and that fact that its size and weight prevents it from being used with current tank transporters.

====================================================

This article itself is self descriptive....................if this is the history mentioned above........then i doubt that what they spectulating will be fullfiled..........just another attempt by your military to grab the funds from political govt.........as they usually do.

MBT-2000 costing 4/5 million is nearly same as T-90S. BD should have bought the Russian tank than Chinese one but I think there will be some financial deal added. Also new T-90M is far more capable.

The T-90S did compete during the tender along with the T-84 of Ukraine :lol:

I think that MBT-2000 was selected mainly for technical and logistical reasons. I personally like the T-90 though, big fan of slopped armor :D

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 PM ----------

If thats is the cost of mbt-2000....than AKs cost would be much more.

Yes, the MBT-2000 is a downgraded version of the AK.

Back
Top Bottom