What's new

After Vote, Pakistan’s Strongest Ally Should Be India

So u bunked ur history classes(if correct one is taught) as well along with economics :disagree:

I guess any senior Pakistani member here will be able to tell u well about Operation Gibraltar unless u already to know abt it and still pretend to believe tht nothing like tht ever happened.

Im also a senior member here.

I dont really know who bunked history classes but this op. etc etc was just something i have been hearing from u people n when i asked the authorities n my contacts in army they said its just some indian story of how we tried to infiltrate J&K with just few thousand troops but in history there is no proof that anything like that has ever happened.

BTW wikipedia has a great story over this.

But again in this scenario trade cant happen.

Pakistan has opened up its economy to every country in the world then why not India??
All phones manufactured in Pakistan are made of Samsung, Nokia etc etc. Do you see any Pakistani company??
Almost all your household stuff is made in China not pakistani companines..

If you guys can but German made BMWs, Japanese made Toyotas then why not Indian made TATAs and Mahindras.

This industry collapse argument is totally baseless. Please don't give it. It doesn't make sense. Foreign companies are dominating Pakistani market for a long time. But this HATE INDIA felling inside you guys is what keeps you guys from opening up trade barriers.

tell canada to allow tata and mahindras okay Buddy

NO Trade with India period never trade with india only missiles and bullets for india because what they do in Occupied kashmir tell tata to sell to Arabs they are considered more of a muslims then Pakistan sell them what ever you have as they are begairats buying american products which pays israel 30 billion in aid every year

Tell Canada to SELL TATA and MAHINDRAS, we are good

No israeli or Indian products should be allowed in the arabian sea,

After Vote, Pakistan’s Strongest Ally Should Be India

Bloomberg

By the Editors

As every leading candidate has proudly noted, tomorrow’s parliamentary elections in Pakistan will mark the first civilian transfer of power in that country’s 66-year history. To ensure it’s not the last, the winner should turn to an unlikely ally: India.

Whichever party takes power in Islamabad will almost certainly have to cobble together a coalition to rule. The new government will inherit a looming foreign-exchange crisis, hours-long blackouts that have provoked street riots, and overlapping insurgencies and sectarian wars that have claimed thousands of lives. Though army chief Ashfaq Parvez Kayani has resisted the temptation to restore military rule, he will retire soon. His successors may not be so restrained.

None of Pakistan’s ills has a quick fix. But one key decision would immediately help jump-start the economy, lower regional tensions and reduce the army’s influence in politics: lifting long-standing barriers to trade with India.

The benefits of a border more open to commerce are indisputable. Trade between India and Pakistan -- currently less than $3 billion annually -- may grow tenfold or more if existing restrictions were to be lifted, according to an April report produced by the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars. Millions in revenue are currently lost via smuggling and informal trade. Some estimates put the potential for Indian investment in Pakistan at $50 billion.

Fraught Border

Equally important, a more open border would be a less fraught one. The army’s obsession with the “Indian threat” drives Pakistan’s most dangerous policies. It fuels the world’s fastest-growing nuclear stockpile and diverts the lion’s share of the country’s limited resources to defense. It has led the military to lend unofficial support to anti-India jihadist groups such as Lashkar-e-Taiba, which carried out the deadly 2008 terrorist attack in Mumbai. Pakistan has also backed Taliban factions in Afghanistan as a means of countering Indian influence there.

A remarkable consensus in favor of freer trade with Pakistan’s archrival has now developed across the political spectrum. In November 2011, the government pledged to grant its larger neighbor “most-favored nation” status -- a decision that could not have been made without the support of the military. (India afforded Pakistan the same status in 1996.) All of Pakistan’s mainstream parties have endorsed an economic rapprochement. The front-runner -- Punjabi magnate and former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif -- has made increased trade and economic progress central to his appeal to voters.

Informal Barriers

Pakistan has yet to follow through on its 2011 pledge. Now is the time to do so. The next government should immediately trim back the list of 1,200 Indian products that still cannot be imported. Some of these restrictions are meant to defend Pakistani farmers, say, from cheaper Indian crops. But mostly they protect well-connected lobbies: More than 500 of the banned goods affect the automobile, iron and steel industries.

India needs to do what it can to help the next Pakistani government. Though India’s list of banned imports is much smaller, other informal barriers still impede Pakistani exports. It takes six months for Pakistani companies to get approval to ship cement to India, for instance. The government in New Delhi should strive to eliminate such roadblocks and to improve transport and logistics links across the border. Better trade facilities alone could pump up Pakistan’s exports to India by 200 percent.

Both sides need to act quickly, before another terrorist attack or domestic political controversy derails the current momentum. India’s next government could well be led by the Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party, whose base remains deeply skeptical of Pakistan’s trustworthiness. (Elections must be held before the end of next May.) The impending U.S. pullout could turn Afghanistan into another shadow battleground for the South Asian rivals, much like the disputed territory of Kashmir.

Delay has allowed past opportunities for reconciliation to slip away. Neither Pakistan nor India -- whose own economy is slowing dramatically -- can afford to let this happen again.

After Vote, Pakistan

Doesn't a ton of trade happen through Dubai anyway? People who want to trade, will find a way of trading. I don't think trade is going to solve any issues between us or reduce trust deficit. It will make the business communities on either side richer - but it is not going to help tone down the rhetoric.

I am all up for it, but there has to be restrictions to make Pakistan not depend on India

For trade both nation have to mature and work out that a single terror attack is not going to stop or slow down the trade relationship .Pakistan should only import item that is not manufacture or grown localy to protect their industries and farmers .
Otherwise they will lose more then gain .

First both country should take care of misunderstanding and take care of dispute and then focus on trade we are not dying without this Trade relationship and neither is pakistan .

I say what I say because, I am sure of it..and I don't like to repeat my self.

Here are economic growth rates of both Indian and Pakistan from 2000-2010.

India ( 2005) 9.3 %

Pakistan ( 2005) 6.2%

http://www.un.org/en/development/desa/policy/wesp/wesp_archive/2010annex.pdf

China was the only economy faster than India... automatically making India the second fastest economy.

I dont know how credible this site is.
But i have posted a link in which there is an american report abt us.

This MFN status is totally useless. To me it makes no sense. Pakistan should treat India like any other nation and give access to its market.

Few markets which India would love to work with Pakistan on:

Automobiles: Both India and Pakistan have similiar road conditions(some say Pakistan is better). Indian cars are highly durable and proof is the fact that today India Indian companies rule the Indian markets unlike Pakistan where there is no indegineous manufacturing of cars, only basic assembling.

Pharma: Pak currently gets 90% of its meds from imports and has almost no inhouse R&D in Pharma sector. Costs are high and Pakistani patients suffer. Here comes India to help. We make 90% meds in house. We control almost 50% of the world market of Cancer and Hiv drugs and spend 4th largest amount on R&D in this field.

Industry: India itself is not the most industrialized nation, but surely together we can world and develop faster. The new DMIC project is an Indian attempt to replicate what China has done on its east cost. We won't mind if Pakistan gets a fair share of it.

IT/ services: Ofocurse we export almost 100 bill$ worth of IT Products and Pakistani industry is miniscule and underdeveloped. Indian companies can go for a joint venture and help Pakistan develop this field.

This MFN status is totally useless. To me it makes no sense. Pakistan should treat India like any other nation and give access to its market.

Few markets which India would love to work with Pakistan on:

Automobiles: Both India and Pakistan have similiar road conditions(some say Pakistan is better). Indian cars are highly durable and proof is the fact that today India Indian companies rule the Indian markets unlike Pakistan where there is no indegineous manufacturing of cars, only basic assembling.

Pharma: Pak currently gets 90% of its meds from imports and has almost no inhouse R&D in Pharma sector. Costs are high and Pakistani patients suffer. Here comes India to help. We make 90% meds in house. We control almost 50% of the world market of Cancer and Hiv drugs and spend 4th largest amount on R&D in this field.

Industry: India itself is not the most industrialized nation, but surely together we can world and develop faster. The new DMIC project is an Indian attempt to replicate what China has done on its east cost. We won't mind if Pakistan gets a fair share of it.

IT/ services: Ofocurse we export almost 100 bill$ worth of IT Products and Pakistani industry is miniscule and underdeveloped. Indian companies can go for a joint venture and help Pakistan develop this field.

thanks but no thanks when indian pharama is able to sell in AMerica and Canada then Talk or even Europe then Talk

when indian automobile is able to sell in AMerican canada and europe then talk

Pakistan might be a Poor Country but certianly does not have poor Quality in acquiring Products

@karan21

You are talking about big ticket items which we cannot compete with. For we don't have the manufecturing base for those items.

Trade between India and Pakistan will be low ticket items which will cripple our own industries. I think trade with India can be a peacemaker,only if its done on a level playing field and only for items that we either don't produce in quantity or the ones which we can't get enough of.

Auto sector,well i see Pak auto market going to be saturated by,Chinese products ie Cars and Turkish trucks and buses, in the future before India steps in.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks but no thanks when indian pharama is able to sell in AMerica and Canada then Talk or even Europe then Talk

when indian automobile is able to sell in AMerican canada and europe then talk

Pakistan might be a Poor Country but certianly does not have poor Quality in acquiring Products

Dude you are under estimating Indian Pharma products.We excels in generic medicines .We sells at dirt cheap rate.

India is a world leader of Generic medicine if Europe opens it's doors to Indian pharma companies then I assure you European companies would have nightmares.

Indian pharma exports were $15 billion in 2012-13.(Although we manufacture much more than this for our own consumption)

Read it ... 1 Billion dollar =5000 carore INR.

http://www.business-standard.com/article/companies/pharma-exports-expected-to-touch-rs-75-000-crore-in-2012-13-113022100677_1.html

P.S. Generic medicine if you don't know just google it.

Dude you are under estimating Indian Pharma products.We excels in generic medicines .We sells at dirt cheap rate.

India is a world leader of Generic medicine if Europe opens it's doors to Indian pharma companies then I assure you European companies would have nightmares.

P.S. Generic medicine if you don't know just google it.

why try to sell it here in pakistan knock on america and europe and western even russian???? doors you will have better luck their Dont try to patronize pakistan make pakistan dependent on India and then when ever you feel like it pull the plug like how it is going on with IRan and the sanctions

I see how indian Minds work know

"thank you come again"

You copy every medicine their is in the world and yet complain that china is the Copy master

Shame on India
shame on india
shame on india

OK lets just say for once only that Kashmir is India's integral part. OK, agreed. Now the thing is that Pakistan has occupied 1/3rd of your so called Kashmir and what has India done about it for the last 65 years? it really shows who is the boss. Pakistan Zindabaad!

Yes boss correct. One more thing boss, The Dogra Army with limited resource was tasked to protect the "important" part, the economic part first and foremost.

Back
Top Bottom