What's new

A look at Israel's "Iron Dome" missile defense

Kind of moronic to compare the latest hi-tech system against decades old, antiquated rockets which are little more than catapulted firecrackers.

Well, no one is comparing, this article just shows about why Iron Dome missile defence systems are one of the best, Israel has done what it could had done for it's own security, same goes for any other country, It's never about what our enemies have (antiquated or modern) but what we have.

Frankly speaking , I'm highly sceptical that any laser based interceptors will be developed in the next 20 years at least. Even to cut a thin sheet of metal , you need a highly concentrated laser beam at extremely close range. Laser technology will have to improve several fold for this technology to be successful. I'm sure you would know that power of a wave is inversely proportional to R^2 , where R is the distance in metres. So , if a laser beam is fired from ground level , by the time it reaches a missile or rocket 10 km away , its power would have dropped by a factor of (10,000)*(10000) . WOW , now wtf is that ?, I'd pay to see a laser than can even scratch a piece of metal after it's lost its initial power by a factor of 100000000

Ok , Here you go my friend it's Called Boeing YAL-1 , Airborne laser missile interceptor . 2 successful missile intercepted already.

And this link is from Northrop Grumman

http://www.as.northropgrumman.com/products/abl/assets/ABL.pdf

I agree with you on 20 years , to fully have a laser based technology . But i was saying about integration of laser and missile both as one platform to intercept incoming hostile missiles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brilliant piece of engineering, i am very impressed by this system. For asymmetric threat, this is definitely the way to go.

Kind of moronic to compare the latest hi-tech system against decades old, antiquated rockets which are little more than catapulted firecrackers.
Both Fajr-5 and 40 km Grad are new systems from 90-00-es. Both rockets carry powerful shrapnel warheads, fly at speed of 650-750 m/s and are extremely hard to hit.

What a pathetic attempt at a jab at Israeli engineering. Kinda like criticizing expensive body armor because a bullet is much less expensive.

Pathetic fail on your part. The issue is not about relative cost, but abilities.

Do the rockets have any electronic counter measures? do they have evasive maneuvers? do they have the ability to deploy decoys?

It's like claiming that a tank is a good defence against rocks. Factually true, but hardly a valid comparison.

In four days of fighting against Gaza-based militants, Israel has used a missile-defense system called "Iron Dome" to intercept rockets fired at populated civilian areas. It says the new home-grown system has been a tremendous success. As of Saturday evening, the military said it had shot down some 240 incoming rockets, more than half the number of projectiles launched into Israel since Wednesday.

Here's a quick look at the system:

—Produced by Israeli-based Rafael Advanced Defense Systems, Iron Dome is meant to shoot down rockets and artillery shells with ranges of up to 70 kilometers, or 45 miles. It has been operational since 2011. Officials say it has a roughly 80 percent success rate.

—How it works: The system detects launches of rockets and quickly determines their flight path. If it is headed toward populated areas or sensitive targets, it fires an interceptor with a special warhead that strikes the incoming rocket within seconds. Rockets headed toward open areas area allowed to land.

—Currently, five Iron Dome batteries are deployed in Israel. Most are located in the south near Gaza. A fifth battery was deployed outside Tel Aviv on Saturday, two months ahead of schedule. Hours later, it shot down a rocket headed toward Tel Aviv.

—Missiles cost around $40,000 a piece. In 2010, the U.S. provided $200 million to expand development. Additional funding is currently being considered, with $70 million already allocated for the 2012 fiscal year.

—The system is part of what Israel calls its "multilayer missile defense". It is meant to protect against the tens of thousands of short-range rockets possessed by militants in the Gaza Strip and Hezbollah guerrillas in Lebanon. Israel has also deployed its "Arrow" missile defense systems for long-range threats from Iran. The military says its new "David's Sling" system, being developed by Rafael to stop medium-range missiles, will be activated by 2014.

A look at Israel's "Iron Dome" missile defense - San Antonio Express-News

its gud for small nations but dought about its work in india

Pathetic fail on your part. The issue is not about relative cost, but abilities.

Do the rockets have any electronic counter measures? do they have evasive maneuvers? do they have the ability to deploy decoys?

It's like claiming that a tank is a good defence against rocks. Factually true, but hardly a valid comparison.
The pathetic-ness is still on your part. Does a bullet have 'any electronic counter measures? do they have evasive maneuvers? do they have the ability to deploy decoys?' And it is about cost because capabilities incurs money.

Let us stretch your criticism a bit further...Keyword search 'war bullets per kill'...

We have anywhere between 50k to 100k rounds it take to actually hit a target. If we assess cost for each bullet, then it is absurd to equip each soldier or police officer with expensive body armor when the odds of getting hit is so low. And yet body armor is pretty much preferred/requested by every soldier and every police officer worldwide.

How much of a monetary value are you willing to place on training a group of Hamas fighters to clandestinely transport and build each rocket?

Drop the 'THINK TANK' label. It ain't working for you.

Iron dome was built to minimize the threat of amateur rocket, which is serving its purpose with 90% accuracy. I will say this is a successful technology. It may not be able to intercept a cruise / hypersonic missile but it is doing its job wonderfully in the present schenario. So I would say its paisa wasool for the Israeli by building the iron dome.

its gud for small nations but dought about its work in india

India will need one when some one start firing rocket/missile to India. Although India-Pakistan relation is a tense one, its not as hostile as Israel vs Gaza. so this tech will be of liitle use to us as we have bigger rockets to score the points agains each other.

When did Israel install Iron dome system.
Its became operational in March 2011.

Here is impact of Iron Dome. In 2006 war Hezbollah fired 4000 rockets killing 56 Israelis. In current encounter Hamas fired 900 rockets which killed 3 Israelis in town not protected by Iron Dome.

Right now Israel has 5 batteries that protect Beersheba, Ashdod, Ashqelon, Netivot and Tel Aviv.

Its became operational in March 2011.
Right now Israel has 5 batteries that protect Beersheba, Ashdod, Ashqelon, Netivot and Tel Aviv.
Why it is difficult to make more batteries and protect all over israel? I don't think money will be the problem for Israel. TO me once its proven that the system is working (over 90%), more batteries could have been made faster. What is the bottle neck?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom