SpArK

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
97 percent Indians would Own Mobile Phones by 2014

112964_matter.jpg

India expected to cross the 1 billion subscriber mark by 2012

There is no doubt that India is arguably one of the fastest growing mobile phone markets in the world.

Each day, an increasing number of people get added to one of the many mobile networks in the country - all of which are growing at alarming rates. In short, it's clear that there would come a time when most of the country is "connected" via mobile phones.

Market research firm iSuppli has predicted that that by 2014, 97 percent of Indians would own mobile phones. This, for a country with a huge percentage of population below the poverty line, would be a weirdly unique achievement. "Such high mobile teledensity means that almost everyone - except children and the abjectly poor - will have a cell phone in India, with those having multiple mobiles boosting total subscription rates and compensating for those without," said Jagdish Rebello, Ph.D., Senior Director and Principal Analyst for Wireless Research at iSuppli.

112964_isuppli.jpg

iSuppli has arrived at this figure going by the current growth rates. By 2009 end India had "just" 525 million mobile subscribers - and in a year, the number is set to reach 766.0 million - that's an increase of almost 50 percent in just a year.

The only country with more mobile subscribers than India is China.

Techtree.com India > News > Consumer Electronics > 97 percent Indians would Own Mobile Phones by 2014

97 percent of Indians will own a cellphone by 2014 - Technology news

India Cell Phone Penetration to Reach 97 Percent in 2014
:cheers::cheers::cheers:

On a lighter note, all the Pakistanis and Indian laborers (90% Indians, Pakistanis do the trucks/taxi stuff) here in U.A.E use their mobiles as their #1 source of entertainment- I have no idea how they get to afford it- almost all their cash goes to put food on the table at home!

One time we saw a cat stuck up on a palm tree and we offered some Indian laborer some cash if he would get up and free the kitten. He agreed- He was talking on his mobile the whole time while he climbed up on the tree with one hand (apparently he was a 'farm lad') and pulled the cat down.

One very important point to note is that anybody would prefer to buy food than mobile phones so does it mean that 97% of Indians will be above the poverty line? Or at least that 97% of Indians can afford food and hence are not starving?

I'm confused:undecided:

P.S. It would be great to see the same revolution in broadband connectivity.

Last edited:
One very important point to note is that anybody would prefer to buy food than mobile phones so does it mean that 97% of Indians will be above the poverty line? Or at least that 97% of Indians can afford food and hence are not starving?

I'm confused:undecided:

You know, being able to afford phones and all, I'm sure they can get pizza delivered to their door.

Yeah, I don't get it either.

Anyway, nothing serious, this is in members club.

If this analysis is true then after 20 years every kid will be born with a cell phone:P

i have seen the ppl ,who sleep on the dividers of the road having mobile phones.unfortunately they dont have home to live but they have mobile.and they are included in the poverty of india.

i have seen the ppl ,who sleep on the dividers of the road having mobile phones.unfortunately they dont have home to live but they have mobile.and they are included in the poverty of india.

Which points to the fact that they have met their food demands. At least the state can safely take that for granted for a person who has a mobile phone.

Which points to the fact that they have met their food demands. At least the state can safely take that for granted for a person who has a mobile phone.

hehehe but what if the cell phone is snatched one :azn:

hehehe but what if the cell phone is snatched one :azn:

That will in fact boost the economy. Every person who has lost a mobile phone will buy a mobile phone which would be much costlier than a thief would have bought.

Gosh am I justifying theft?:flame:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom