What's new

World’s largest weapons buyer India joins China as emerging military superp

MINK

Reaction score
Country
India
World’s largest weapons buyer India joins China as emerging military superpowers

China’s new aircraft carrier — actually just a refitted Gorbachev-era Soviet model purchased for $20 million (U.S.) from the Russians — made international headlines when it began sea trials this year, signalling Beijing’s growing military ambitions in East Asia. But it isn’t the only Asian giant investing heavily in new military hardware. India has kept pace with its neighbour to the north and, in some areas, is actually exceeding it — a development that, though much less noted, is a sign of the growing militarization of the region as a new generation of emerging powers with global ambitions jockeys for regional supremacy.

India is now the world’s largest weapons importer, according to a 2011 report by arms watchdog SIPRI, accounting for 9 per cent of the world’s international arms transfers — most from Russia — between 2006 and 2010. India will spend an estimated $80 billion on military modernization programs by 2015, according to an estimate from the Washington-based Center for Strategic and International Studies.

In particular, India is focusing on sea power, a crucial new area of competition. The country is planning to spend almost $45 billion over the next 20 years on 103 new warships, including destroyers and nuclear submarines. By comparison, China’s investment over the same period is projected to be about $25 billion for 135 vessels, according to data on both countries from maritime analysis firm AMI International.

On top of long-running tensions with Pakistan and festering insurgencies by Kashmiri separatists and Maoist rebels, India’s military planners are increasingly concerned about the prospect of military hostilities with China — hence the new focus on naval power. For now, the United States seems much more comfortable with India’s military ambitions than China’s. The Pentagon’s 2010 Quadrennial Defense Review welcomed “a more influential role in global affairs” for India, including in the Indian Ocean region. But there are some troubling signs that the area might not be big enough for two rising superpowers.

In August, an unidentified Chinese warship confronted an Indian amphibious assault ship near the coast of Vietnam and demanded that it explain its presence in Chinese waters (the encounter took place in a disputed part of the South China Sea claimed by Vietnam). Thankfully, the situation resulted in nothing more than some testy public statements from officials in all three countries, but it was yet another sign of an increasingly militarized Asian seascape.

The Toronto Star

Well the EU (UK) economies are going down, the way they were begging, doesn't seem they gonna last that long so someone have to take their place China can take the place of EU and India should quietly build herself and disregard the outside.

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

^ I wish I had this guy's sense of humour, he seems to find everything funny.
Let him have his high for the day man with all the things going on at his home, the whole economy in shambles the UK and EU are already bailing each other out, he needs some thing to keep his mind out.

'IndMasters' is way too happy than Indians! ;)

IndMasters days are numbered here. Let him have some fun. He hates his own country that he is forced to show his enemy's flags

:rofl: IndoCarb, your stupid comments always crack me up. It's like watching retard child making up words. You can't help but laugh.

---------- Post added at 08:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

I'm not going to reply to every single one of you, but yes, it's pure comedy to claim India and China are military superpowers with a few more ships. But be my guest, you can always have wet dream.

This is getting ridiculous every day there is a thread hindustan to be super power & compete with China.
Move on hindustan has to do alot it is still midget infront of China, stop focusing on becoming super power focus on elimination of injustice and poverty and improving economy, being economic power turns you into a regional power you are no where near China.

:rofl: IndoCarb, your stupid comments always crack me up.

---------- Post added at 08:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

I'm not going to reply to every single one of you, but yes, it's pure comedy to claim India and China are military superpowers with a few more ships. But be my guest, you can always have wet dream.

You forgot the word Emerging.

You cannot be a superpower simply because you buy the most weapons. Truly powerful countries CREATE their own weapons. India so far is unable to do that. If Saudi Arabia spent 14 billion dollars on buying foreign weapons, does that make them a superpower?

You cannot be a superpower simply because you buy the most weapons. Truly powerful countries CREATE their own weapons. India so far is unable to do that. If Saudi Arabia spent 14 billion dollars on buying foreign weapons, does that make them a superpower?

True, but you must also remember that no country starts out building everything on their own, the US stolen tech. from the Germans after WW2, the Russian stole from the US and now the whole world is stealing from both of them.

Whatever. If that makes you high in your wet dream. But it's still laughable.

Laughable? Than lets laugh hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahhahahhahahahahahaahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Back
Top Bottom