What's new

World Air Forces - Bangladesh

Nobody will disagree with you about the need to purchase fighter jets. But, I would suggest a little patience. Think of our geography, it is so small and it has no depth. A Su-30 still in Indian sky in Tezpur can easily target our vital institutions from there. If India builds an airbase in Tripura, the Sukhois there can target Dhaka, Chittagong, Comilla and Sylhet.

However we try we cannot match the Indian air superiority in terms of number of jets, at least not yet. So, I think, the immediate best defence should be based on SAM missiles alongwith 3D radar systems. In times of real war, India will destroy quite a number of these SAMs, no doubt. But, there still will remain many more to challenge them in the sky.

In my opinion, fixed SAM sites should be avoided, instead, SAMs should be fitted on trucks roaming anywhere and on missile boats roaming in the rivers and shallow seas. When we have a proper defense system, only then it will lighten the burden of fear from attacks by India or Burma. They will be forced to respect our sovereignty.

Cost calculation will show that SAM defense system will be much cheaper than jet fighters, but still many more times effective. At the present condition of economy, we can buy only a few squadrons of fighter planes. This costly purchase will give us only a false sense of protection, but will not cause an inch of dent to the Indian air superiority.

Therefore, I suggest SAM system now, and when the economy develops, then we go for the offensive weapons.

Good Defence is best offence for us right now.And off course SAMs should be portable not fixed.
One more thing to improve on is detecting intruders.So better RADAR system is priority.BAF said they were looking for induction of aircraft for airborne early warning, a system used for directing fighters to targets and counter attacks by 2021.

Although not completely aware of what the requirements of the BAF are, I would think if high-tech element is required which is affordable, cheap to operate and provides room for growth, the BAF would be serviced extremely well by the Gripen. Unlike Pakistan, BAF will have no problems with sanctions etc. The aircraft is as high tech as any 4-4.5gen aircraft available. When PAF have evaluated the aircraft, they have liked it a lot.
If it has to be fighters at all, it should be GRIPEN - 100% with you on this.
Thank you

Nobody will disagree with you about the need to purchase fighter jets. But, I would suggest a little patience. Think of our geography, it is so small and it has no depth. A Su-30 still in Indian sky in Tezpur can easily target our vital institutions from there. If India builds an airbase in Tripura, the Sukhois there can target Dhaka, Chittagong, Comilla and Sylhet.
Believe me they have build the base and Su-30 has been deployed there.:mod:

However we try we cannot match the Indian air superiority in terms of number of jets, at least not yet.
No bro, i m not talking about the matching and number doesn't bring quality.
In times of real war, India will destroy quite a number of these SAMs, no doubt. But, there still will remain many more to challenge them in the sky.
Remain what F-7BG to challenge Su-30:lol:
Cost calculation will show that SAM defense system will be much cheaper than jet fighters, but still many more times effective. At the present condition of economy, we can buy only a few squadrons of fighter planes. This costly purchase will give us only a false sense of protection, but will not cause an inch of dent to the Indian air superiority.

Therefore, I suggest SAM system now, and when the economy develops, then we go for the offensive weapons.
We need both SAM and new 4.5 generation fighter now
:yahoo:Thanx

:agree:Bangladesh also need to purchase one squadron of trainer aircraft and simulators for fighter planes and helicopters.

:agree:We also need overhauling plants for the existing F-7 fighter planes and MI series helicopters.

:agree:We also need to increase our budgetary allocation.

:agree:We need advance radar for airborne early warning which is a system for directing fighters to targets and counter attacks.

:agree:Cox's Bazar base will be converted into an advanced base to increase the force's operational capability.

:D If two plants are set up in the country, two to three F-7 aircraft and three to four MI choppers could be overhauled each year and will not require sending abroad.

:partay:The air force has so far overhauled Bell helicopters 65 times and PT-6 planes 76 times at its own maintenance unit. In the last two years, five fighter aircraft were overhauled in the country with the help of foreign consultants, the report says.

ASIA PACIFIC
Date Posted: 12-Aug-2009

Jane's Defence Weekly

Bangladesh air force renewal focuses on trainer procurement

Trefor Moss JDW Asia-Pacific Editor - London

The Bangladesh Air Force (BAF) is preparing to invest in new aircraft, with the procurement of trainer aircraft its initial priority.

By 2021, the BAF also aims to have renewed its fighter fleet by replacing the estimated 21 F-7 and eight A-5 fighters that it still has in service, according to an air force report on fleet modernisation cited by the country's national media.

In February, Bangladesh's newly elected government said it intended to increase investment in the armed forces, before announcing, three months later, a record defence budget of BDT83.82 billion (USD1.22 billion) for Fiscal Year 2009-10. While the navy is likely to be the main focus of modernisation efforts, the country's planning minister said that the air force would also be allocated procurement funds.

The BAF's fleet of Chinese-built Nanchang PT-6 (CJ-6) basic trainers is now 30 years old, Jane's understands, and will need replacing soon.

Bangladesh is also known to be one of the target markets for the joint Chinese-Pakistan JF-17 (FC-1) fighter, as well as for the more advanced Chinese J-10 (FC-20).

In the 1990s, Bangladesh bought eight Russian MiG-29s but the aircraft proved too expensive for the country to maintain.

The government is likely to back the purchase of more affordable Chinese aircraft this time to avoid a repeat of the problems encountered with the MiG-29 acquisition.

Thanks fatman, for the informative news on the procurement policy of Bangladesh govt. Happy to note that the change of govt has not changed the main purchasing source of BD fighter jets. They remained China as usual for J-10 and Pakistan this first time for JF-17.

Thanks fatman, for the informative news on the procurement policy of Bangladesh govt. Happy to note that the change of govt has not changed the main purchasing source of BD fighter jets. They remained China as usual for J-10 and Pakistan this first time for JF-17.

There is a chance that this Govt. may go for american figter:hitwall: as BAL is not interseted in chinese thihg and russian optionis Su-27 or Su-30 which is expencive.

There is a chance that this Govt. may go for american figter:hitwall: as BAL is not interseted in chinese thihg and russian optionis Su-27 or Su-30 which is expencive.
But, the USA made fighters are very expensive as I have heard, although I do not have comparison table of their planes with those of other countries. What could be those planes, F-16?

Present AL govt is quite puzzling to me. They declare all big big projects, but may not be that eager to implement those, I suspect. The same may happen to AF purchasing. They may initiate hostilities among various interest groups inside the AF, and may finally decide not to buy anything.

Last edited:
But, the USA made fighters are very expensive as I have heard, although I do not have comparison table of their planes with those of other countries.
Not only expensive, USA will play monopoly as they played wity pakistan with F-16. There is no assurence that USA will supply all armanents and technology and if supplied once, there is no assurence that they will continue for the next time. Then what we will do with these Hanger Queen?
What could be those planes, F-16?
I only can think about F-16 and F/A-18 super hornet.
Present AL govt is quite puzzling to me. They declare all big big projects, but may not be that eager to implement those, I suspect. The same may happen to AF purchasing. They may initiate hostilities among various interest groups inside the AF, and may finally decide not to buy anything.
I think The BAL Govt. will not purchase any plane or if; it will be at the last yaer of their power to claim it in the election.
Note the F/A-18 in while in Bangladesh:tup:

Attachments

• gallery_1_28_3913.jpg
    gallery_1_28_3913.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 31
  • gallery_1_28_1752.jpg
    gallery_1_28_1752.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 18
  • MiG-29 & F-18.JPG
    MiG-29 & F-18.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 227
  • med_gallery_1_28_75863.jpg
    med_gallery_1_28_75863.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Air force (Bangladesh), Air force

Assessment
The Bangladesh Air Force (Bangladesh Biman Bahini - BAF), has little combat capability and limited transport resources. The multiplicity of types of aircraft and consequent diversity in sources of spares, plus associated difficulties in training and maintenance have adversely affected operational effectiveness. Taking all these factors into account, it is likely that the BAF would find it difficult to perform in an air defence or tactical support role within an adverse environment.The BAF has been plagued by a lack of funds and vision, as well as subjected to the vagaries of political influence and allegations of corruption in procurement programmes. China continues to be the main source of combat aircraft today, illustrated most recently in 2006-07 with the delivery of a dozen CAC F-7BG fighters and four FT-7BG two-seaters.In 1999, Bangladesh obtained eight MiG-29 'Fulcrum' combat aircraft (including two UB trainers), which were declared operational by mid-2000. Given the economic situation and the cost of Western aircraft, the switch to Moscow as a source of sophisticated combat aircraft appeared inevitable, but the circumstances in which the purchase went ahead were opaque. The initiative was controversial from the beginning, with the eight aircraft, plus spares and related services, costing USD124 million, while annual operating costs were estimated at USD17.42 million. The MiGs were grounded and in July 2002 the government announced that it planned to sell them. However, at least some have been returned to service, in spite of greatly increased operating costs and problems with spares.

Assessment
The BAF has a tiny combat capability and is incapable of other than token resistance to any aerial incursion. It is assessed that there is little likelihood of the air force being able to respond to changing threats.

Air force (Bangladesh) - Sentinel Security Assessment - South Asia

From top : Colour photo of an F-86 E(M) fighter aircraft of BAF / photo shot from another side in BAF museum / left side view diagram / right side view diagram / five F-86 E(M) and two MiG-21 MF fighters in Tejgaon AFB old b & w photo shot sometime between 1972 and 1979 (found the 5th photo in a foreign website written in Russian language, all decommissioned) :
idOiPm.jpg

di-23UW.jpg

idJ9yc.jpg

idJHU8.png

idJB6k.jpg

1078 × 296

(5 images in this post)

Air force (Bangladesh), Air force

Assessment
The Bangladesh Air Force (Bangladesh Biman Bahini - BAF), has little combat capability and limited transport resources. The multiplicity of types of aircraft and consequent diversity in sources of spares, plus associated difficulties in training and maintenance have adversely affected operational effectiveness. Taking all these factors into account, it is likely that the BAF would find it difficult to perform in an air defence or tactical support role within an adverse environment.The BAF has been plagued by a lack of funds and vision, as well as subjected to the vagaries of political influence and allegations of corruption in procurement programmes. China continues to be the main source of combat aircraft today, illustrated most recently in 2006-07 with the delivery of a dozen CAC F-7BG fighters and four FT-7BG two-seaters.In 1999, Bangladesh obtained eight MiG-29 'Fulcrum' combat aircraft (including two UB trainers), which were declared operational by mid-2000. Given the economic situation and the cost of Western aircraft, the switch to Moscow as a source of sophisticated combat aircraft appeared inevitable, but the circumstances in which the purchase went ahead were opaque. The initiative was controversial from the beginning, with the eight aircraft, plus spares and related services, costing USD124 million, while annual operating costs were estimated at USD17.42 million. The MiGs were grounded and in July 2002 the government announced that it planned to sell them. However, at least some have been returned to service, in spite of greatly increased operating costs and problems with spares.

Assessment
The BAF has a tiny combat capability and is incapable of other than token resistance to any aerial incursion. It is assessed that there is little likelihood of the air force being able to respond to changing threats.

Air force (Bangladesh) - Sentinel Security Assessment - South Asia

Tiki Tam Tam, please check these out : Link 1, Link 2 and Link 3

Back
Top Bottom