What's new

Work on submarine launched BrahMos in final stages

I hope they dont mass produce it later, seriously with 290km range its not going to do any job better
. I hope they keep it as a test bed, and start developing submarine launch facility for Nirbhay from now on so that we can induct both land and sea variant at same time...

if Brahmos range is really 300KMs, then I will say Indian military is an idiot..
But it isn't true no ? ;)

actually 290 km range for a sub launch Missile iis very good.

firstly no serface vessale or sub is capable enough to track a submarged platform more than 100km. away. No torpedo or missile has the range to counter the sub once its located while launching the Brahmos.

secondly if you dont have a dedicated ASW helis or planes to support your serface vessale you will never know where the sub is located.

lastly at 290 km the sub can easily evade the ASW of the ship as the ship will be busy to protect itself rather than attacking the sub.

This is the first time I have heard this.

Blk-III is supposed to have a range of 550 Kms. Another block has been planned with this huge range..?
Official Brahmos range can't be more than 300 Km :( MTCR :(

Submarine-based version of the BrahMos Russian-Indian missile will be launched for the first time in Oct-Nov, 2012, the director of BrahMos Aerospace Sivathanu Pillai told ARMS-TASS at the 2-nd international engineering technology forum.

“We’re going to hold the first launch of the submarine-adapted missile version by underwater testing platform in October or November”, Dr. Pillai said.

According to him, the coming launch will be an important stage in the BrahMosprogram development because after that test Indian Navy will decide whether to arm India’s prospective non-nuclear submarines with these missiles.

Representative of Rubin Central Design Bureau earlier told ITAR-TASS that Russian designers were ready to offer Indian Navy non-nuclear submarine Amur-1650 armed either with Club or BrahMos missile systems.

“So far, Indian partners have not brought up an issue of BrahMos integration into Amur-1650 submarine put up for Indian tender under the 75I prospective submarine program”, said Andrei Baranov, deputy director general of Rubin bureau for foreign economic activity.

As for him, “the Amur-1650 submarine project is currently armed with Club attack missile system, well-known in Indian Navy and launched by horizontal torpedo tubes. But if Indian party wants the sub to be equipped with vertically-launched BrahMos attack missile system, Rubin bureau would amend the project”, Baranov explained.

“BrahMos can be integrated into Amur-1650 as an additional compartment with vertical launch tubes”, pointed out the design bureau’s director.

“Amur and BrahMos are pretty compatible; we had worked on the sub’s architecture in this regard. So, if Indian partners want to have the BrahMos-equipped submarine, that would strengthen chance of Rosoboronexport in the India’s program 75I tender”, emphasized Baranov.

Rosoboronexport will put up prospective non-nuclear submarine Amur-1650 powered by air-independent plant for Indian tender providing procurement and license production of 6 non-nuclear submarines.

Russia, India to Hold First Launch of BrahMos Submarine-Based Missile in Oct-Nov, 2012 | idrw.org

Any news on Nuclear capable 1000kms sub launched Sagarika ?

This is the first time I have heard this.

Blk-III is supposed to have a range of 550 Kms. Another block has been planned with this huge range..?

Yeah,
Even I have heard that Block III and Hypersonic Brahmos will have 550 Km Range

Land Launched - In service.
Sea(Ship) Launched - In service.
Submarine Launched - In Final stages.
Air Launched - Will be tested at end of 2012.

Wish India should have Satellite launched Brahmos which kills other satellites and India should make it work as Anti-Ballistic missile when the ballistic missile reaches Near Indian region!

Which sub will carry this?
What if we dont pick amur 1650?

Which sub will carry this?
What if we dont pick amur 1650?

Land Launched - In service.
Sea(Ship) Launched - In service.
Submarine Launched - In Final stages.
Air Launched - Will be tested at end of 2012.

Wish India should have Satellite launched Brahmos which kills other satellites and India should make it work as Anti-Ballistic missile when the ballistic missile reaches Near Indian region!

Dude what have you been drinking? Whatever it is I reccommend you to stop drinking that stuff...its making you delusional.

More interesting would be news about which IN sub should use these missiles, because currently IN don't have a useful platform so far.

range is extendable somewhere b/w 700-800 km. The guy who told me this , is a pretty high ranked guy in artillery. No way to verify, but generally, good old johnny walker is as good a truth serum as any

range is extendable somewhere b/w 700-800 km. The guy who told me this , is a pretty high ranked guy in artillery. No way to verify, but generally, good old johnny walker is as good a truth serum as any

lets settle the issue with 550 KMs then ;)

Akula is there....and the upgraded Sindugosh too.

Well Akula Carries 24 VLS Klub N Cruise Missiles with 300 Km range
While 5 Kilo class Currently Carry 6 Klub S Cruise Missiles each with 220 Km range , 2 Kilo Class Subs currently undergoing MLU and Final Sub which will undergo MLU in 2014-15 , will be equipped by Klub N Cruise Missiles with better range

Also If we want to use Brahmos then it will require serious modification to Hull of these Subs and changes to the 533mm Launch Tubes , Which Frankly is not really worth it now
It cost us 60 Million USD each to upgrade these Subs , and decision to add Brahmos should have been taken in 2001 when MLU Began , Now with 7 subs having already been upgraded and 5 Fitted with Klub S Cruise Missiles , and with programme set for completion in 2015 , So it doesnot really makes sense to add Brahmos

Brahmos can only equip Indian Subs if Indian Navy chooses either the Russian Amur Class or German Type 216 or ,

OR Indian Navy takes up the option to carry out second MLU for Last 5-6 Kilo class Subs , which is a possibility should their be further delay in P71I Project which pushes induction of those subs to beyond 2022

Indian Navy have been quite impressed by Kilo class , Special its endurance in Indian Ocean and the Pacific , while Type 209 Have been found unsuitable outside of Bay of Bengal and Arabian Sea ,

A second MLU for Kilo class will add 5-7 yrs of life to the boats and Could infact shift the retirement dates of last 7 Subs from 2018-27 to 2023-32

Back
Top Bottom