What's new

With eye on exports, Tejas on display in Bahrain air show

@sancho @Abingdonboy What's a mission system antenna? Hadn't heard of it before.

They just used it to discribe the side arrays, which includes parts of the sensors of the EWS, in this case interferometer arrays, to provide precise location capability.

Common mate, there is no intent it my argument you know it, i am just familiar with Yanki practice.

There is a claim, that you can't back up and that's intend enough don't you think? Again, the same rules apply to LCA exports with a US engines, as for Gripen with a US engines. You only conclude that we can't because Sweden is a western country, but that's it!

They didnt give engine license manufacturing rights to even some of their closest allies including Turkey for PW and GEs for their F-16s (which they make under license for decades) so unless India is willing to go with a joint venture/ license manufacturing of GE engines, dont think its going to happen.

Wrong example, Turkey itself is a customer of a US fighter, we are talking about an Indian or Swedish fighter, with a US part. If you want to apply the same example and your logic behind it, it would mean that Turkey can't sell the T129, because it uses a US engine, but here again, the same rule applies. As long as the US have no issue with the potential export customer and as long they are agreeing to US restrictions, there is no problem with exporting LCA, Gripen, or T129!

I think a stable society is what is needed first. Rwandan genocide IMO, is one of the most talked about extermination pogroms.

Yet, it experiences relative peace. Poverty is endemic, And Mr. Kagame has grown paranoid over the years and projected himself as the barrier that holds back Hutsis and Tutsis slaughtering each other, and of interference in the Congo.

But still....

Yup...I should've said Stable Democracies. But Nations like Rwanda, DRC, CAR etc are ruled out as possible export partners for a multitude of reasons,economy being the first. I don't think India is silly enough to sell sophisticated arms to Nations that are going to turn them on their own populace (can't be so sure about small arms though).

They just used it to discribe the side arrays, which includes parts of the sensors of the EWS, in this case interferometer arrays, to provide precise location capability.

There is a claim, that you can't back up and that's intend enough don't you think? Again, the same rules apply to LCA exports with a US engines, as for Gripen with a US engines. You only conclude that we can't because Sweden is a western country, but that's it!

Wrong example, Turkey itself is a customer of a US fighter, we are talking about an Indian or Swedish fighter, with a US part. If you want to apply the same example and your logic behind it, it would mean that Turkey can't sell the T129, because it uses a US engine, but here again, the same rule applies. As long as the US have no issue with the potential export customer and as long they are agreeing to US restrictions, there is no problem with exporting LCA, Gripen, or T129!

a claim can be countered by a response, prove me wrong that Yanks will allow you Tejas exports with GE engines. Not gonna happen for me :D

Yup...I should've said Stable Democracies. But Nations like Rwanda, DRC, CAR etc are ruled out as possible export partners for a multitude of reasons,economy being the first. I don't think India is silly enough to sell sophisticated arms to Nations that are going to turn them on their own populace (can't be so sure about small arms though).

More than arms, I think economic trade. In the long term, that benefits both countries.

China has done well in that regard.

a claim can be countered by a response, prove me wrong that Yanks will allow you Tejas exports with GE engines. Not gonna happen for me :D

I already did prove you wrong, by showing that there Saab has no issue selling the Gripen with US engines and I gave other examples from different countries. Since you brought up the claim, it's on you to prove that there is more behind it. :pop:

I already did prove you wrong, by showing that there Saab has no issue selling the Gripen with US engines and I gave other examples from different countries. Since you brought up the claim, it's on you to prove that there is more behind it. :pop:

nope you have not, you gave your perspective, i gave my concern. SAAB has license arrangements with GE for Gripen under RM-12. Even the 414 version will be manufactured under license by SAAB. HAL has no such arrangement, it is well known.

Lets wait for the day when it is allowed to be exported with a GE engine.

More than arms, I think economic trade. In the long term, that benefits both countries.

China has done well in that regard.

Trade is always the precursor to Military relations. But I also feel that India should shed it's Gandhian approach w.r.t the Defence industry. If we have no qualms becoming the largest importer of arms, why have any in exporting them? :P

I hate this hinglish which use 'eye' or 'eyeing' in the sentence.

Trade is always the precursor to Military relations. But I also feel that India should shed it's Gandhian approach w.r.t the Defence industry. If we have no qualms becoming the largest importer of arms, why have any in exporting them? :P

Well, The Americans, when they decided to bomb Libya, did not anticipate Tuareg mercenaries from Gaddafi's army to pick up their weapons, cross the border into Mali back into the Tuareg region, allied themselves with Islamists and almost annihilated the Mali national army. You have the french troops there.

The arms trade is a prolific industry. You don't know here it end up eventually.

Well, The Americans, when they decided to bomb Libya, did not anticipate Tuareg mercenaries from Gaddafi's army to pick up their weapons, cross the border into Mali back into the Tuareg region, allied themselves with Islamists and almost annihilated the Mali national army. You have the french troops there.

The arms trade is a prolific industry. You don't know here it end up eventually.
Very True. Arms Proliferation is one of those evils that every Nation indulges in every once in a while. Question is, Are we really such a conscientious Nation?

So a speculative display model/static display becomes an export commodity at once to bahrain once it visits, only fools would believe in it...US provides the most comprehensive equipment/weapons along with any aircraft that it offers no HAL or even Dassault matches it never will.

My thoughts more F-16s and most likely F-35s.

Bahrain to launch F-16 upgrade in 2014 - 11/12/2013 - Flight Global

Very True. Arms Proliferation is one of those evils that every Nation indulges in every once in a while. Question is, Are we really such a conscientious Nation?

we would like to think we are. Hypocritically so. I mean, we would like to stand with the poorest nations of the world and yet would have no scruples about it.

we would like to think we are. Hypocritically so. I mean, we would like to stand with the poorest nations of the world and yet would have no scruples about it.

We had no problems supplying arms to both LTTE and the Sri Lankan Armed Forces. But that's for another day and another topic. Let's better get back to the topic at hand or not post anymore here.

We had no problems supplying arms to both LTTE and the Sri Lankan Armed Forces. But that's for another day and another topic. Let's better get back to the topic at hand or not post anymore here.

The problem with selling a fighter jet is that we are also competing with other established player who can provide quality.

Dassault for example.

Unlike small arms, cost can be seen as a measure of quality.

The problem with selling a fighter jet is that we are also competing with other established player who can provide quality.

Dassault for example.

Unlike small arms, cost can be seen as a measure of quality.

That wasn't such a bad attempt! :lol:

And one can't have the cake and eat it too. Shell out 60 million for a Rafale, (which is Overkill in many parts of Africa anyway given it's range and payload) or go for two LCAs with the same amount. Not to forget the lifecycle costs too.

Back
Top Bottom