What's new

Will be in Turkey (Istanbul) the next few days. Any travel/sightseeing advice?

Thanks all.

Jigs, any specific restaurant names that come to mind? And what about specific dishes that I shouldn't miss... what are your favourites?

I never lived in Istanbul besides short stays so it is hard to recommend places. As far as dishes. My top two would be Iskender kebap and pide (also try Lahmacun at the Pide place) As a drink to go along with these i would recommend Ayran.

Baklava for Dessert and also try Turkish tea (first regular tea "çay") then you can also try different types as you go such as ada çayı or kuşburnu çayı.

Oh and çiğ köfte you can try this as a appetizer before the main dish or main course. It is quite spicy so have something to drink. Try to see if you can visit the Istanbul Aviation Museum lots of cool aircraft to check out there. F-104 Starfighters and F-102 Delta Daggers etc

Of course... wouldn't miss Hagia Sophia for the world! The image of those minarets and dome is nothing short of iconic.

Lot of renovation is going on in Hagia Sophia but best of all will be boat trip of Bosporus canal and food.

Was there in Sept. Try and see if you can stay in the old city Sultan Ahmet is a reasonable place. That way you can walk to see Hajia sofia, Topkapi and the Blue mosque. The Bosphorus cruise is a must.Take some warm clothes with you on the cruise. Their metro system isvery simple and good. Whereever you stay there shpould be a travel advisor to give you an idea about the places to see. Then there is the grand Bazaar which has a lot of shops . There is the Galata tower
The best thing is to get a map of the tram and metro system and then plan journies accordingly.
Araz

there are metro maps in all the tourism mags in all the rooms of decent hotels. try thefish as fish there is very good.

how is turkish food, is it different from arabic food, and how are spicy food there???, whats the main difference between Mediterranean food and south asian cuisine????, any turkish answer please

one more question to saithan and jigs our turkish member is, what is the turkish staple, what they prefer eating like, vegetable, or mostly meat, and which meat like beef mostly or chicken mostly or mutton, sheep???, and i have many questions for them :woot:

If you're there for tourism, I'd advise you to stay in Sultanalmet district. If you wish I can give you info on the hotel I stayed in, and talk to them for you.

The kebabs in Istanbul are many cuts above the imitation ones you get in the Turkish restaurant around the corner. Try all of them.

Something that'll earn you the awe of fellow tourists queuing to get into Topqapi is to translate the mural poetry. It will be in Farsi and old Turkish, and you'd be able to read it and the Turks won't and they'd roast with jealousy! A guard asked me to translate him the entire inscription dedicated to Abdul Hameed Khan, and was profusely thankful. Tourists were often surprised to learn that the poetry often recounted the kings' love for the sciences and their amassing of books rather than the poetry about their European kings that went on about their power and battles.

You should definitely see "Yerebatan Sarnıcı"
YEREBATAN SARNICI

Basilica Cistern - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

yerebatan-sarnici-yerebatan-sarayi.jpg

I Think this was featured in some Indiana Jones or James Bond movie.. I forgot the name though..

ohhhhhhhhhh

Filming locations for The International (2009) -

59th Street Bridge, Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA (aerial photography)

Autostadt, Wolfsburg, Lower Saxony, Germany

Berlin, Germany

Hauptbahnhof, Berlin, Germany

Istanbul, Turkey

Jüdisches Museum, Kreuzberg, Berlin, Germany

Lake Garda, Italy

Lyon, Rhône, Rhône-Alpes, France

Midtown, Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA

Milan, Lombardia, Italy

New York City, New York, USA

Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum - 1071 Fifth Avenue, Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA

Studio Babelsberg, Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany

The International (2009/I) - Filming locations

Back
Top Bottom