What's new

Why does India keep renaming their cities?

53fd

New Recruit

Reaction score
I understand that after 1947, India wanted to change the names kept by the British colonialists, & rename them according to their "Sanskritized Hindi roots" or something along those lines. But still, it becomes quite irritating about how they changed so many names:

Off the top of my head:

Bombay became Mumbai
Simla became Shimla
Banaras became Varanasi
Baroda became something weird
Calcutta became Kolkata
Madras became Chennai
Poona became Pune

And now I heard that they renamed the state of Orissa into "Odisha" or something. I don't know, it just becomes weird. Bombay sounded much cooler than Mumbai, & Calcutta is cooler than Kolkata. Banaras is cooler than Varanasi as well. But that's just my personal opinion.

I understand that after 1947, India wanted to change the names kept by the British colonialists, & rename them according to their "Sanskritized Hindi roots" or something along those lines. But still, it becomes quite irritating about how they changed so many names:

Off the top of my head:

Bombay became Mumbai
Simla became Shimla
Banaras became Varanasi
Calcutta became Kolkata
Madras became Chennai
Poona became Pune

And now I heard that they renamed the state of Orissa into "Odisha" or something. I don't know, it just becomes weird. Bombay sounded much cooler than Mumbai, & Calcutta is cooler than Kolkata. Banaras is cooler than Varanasi as well. But that's just my personal opinion.

They are just changing the anglicized names back to what they were meant to be. So its more like changing it back, rather than changing it. The brits changed the name cause they couldn't pronounce it properly.:lol:

Why do like to go on with this drill, God knows, they don't have nothing better to do.

Local marathis used to say Mumbai instead of Bombay even before the name was changed.

How does if affect a Pakistani? Why should they be interested in what we name our cities? ;)

Off the top of my head:

Bombay became Mumbai
Simla became Shimla
Banaras became Varanasi
Calcutta became Kolkata
Madras became Chennai
Poona became Pune

I don't know about other cities but as far as varansi is concerned , It is called Varansi in pure pronunciation but local used to say it as Banaras so both names are valid like 'Banaras Hindu University' . british called it as Benaras instead of Banaras.

Also Kanpur was called Cawnpor in british time.
Dilli was called as Delhi (even till now)

Changing names is the favorite pastime of our netas since they have nothing better to do. In fact there are two - changing names and making hay while the sun shines (corruption). These worthies aren't interested in governance at all. In fact they don't have a clue on what good governance is all about. Half of them are bloody illiterates and the other half have court cases against them for serious offenses such as rape, murder, extortion etc. And these are the turds who are supposed to be law makers!!

Indian democracy is a comedy! Damn! :hitwall:

And I found these proposed changes coming up in India:

Ahmedabad to Karnavati
Allahabad to Tirth Raj Prayag
Aurangabad to Sambhajinagar
Delhi to Indraprastha
Patna to Pataliputra
Alibag to Shribag
Hyderabad to Bhagyanagaram
Alibag to Shribag

My mother will never call her birthplace Patna "Pataliputra" or whatever, & I am sure no one in Delhi will call Delhi Indraprastha, the same case with Ahmedabad. Some names like Thiruvananthapuram I cannot even pronounce, I was wondering how many north Indians can pronounce the name of this city right. How do you pronounce it?

It is natural for many of us to want to go back to our roots.

Many Persians are looking to go back to their pre invasion identity for example.

But again, this is a totally internal Indian matter. I can see no reason why it should interest Pakistanis.

Ahmedabad to Karnavati
Delhi to Indraprastha
Patna to Pataliputra
Alibag to Shribag
Hyderabad to Bhagyanagaram
Alibag to Shribag

My mother will never call her birthplace Patna "Pataliputra" or whatever, & I am sure no one in Delhi will call Delhi Indraprastha, the same case with Ahmedabad. Some names like Thiruvananthapuram I cannot even pronounce, I was wondering how many north Indians can pronounce the name of this city right. How do you pronounce it?

Delhi is not going to change. Patna might. I mean brits used to call Awadh as Oudh.:lol:

As for Varanasi, its once again old name, locals still call it Banaras or Kashi.

It is natural for many of us to want to go back to our roots.

Many Persians are looking to go back to their pre invasion identity for example.

But again, this is a totally internal Indian matter. I can see no reason why it should interest Pakistanis.

With my mother's birthplace being Patna, & her being raised in Patna as well; along with my whole mother's side currently living in India (& some of my father's side as well; my father was born in Ranchi btw), I just thought of this because of my genuine curiosity, not because I wanted this to come off as an anti-Indian thread. You have some kind of objection to that?

Ahmedabad to Karnavati
Delhi to Indraprastha
Patna to Pataliputra

Almost every north Indian can pronounce it smoothly because these are more or less hindi/sanskrit words. The changes above you said are not going to take place in near future because there is no demand from public.

Allahabad will remain Allahabad
Patana will remain Patana
Delhi may be changed to Dilli not indraprastha.
Aurangabad to Sambhajinagar is pure politics.

Delhi is not going to change. Patna might. I mean brits used to call Awadh as Oudh.:lol:

As for Varanasi, its once again old name, locals still call it Banaras or Kashi.

Roy,
I would like to correct you. Patana was never called Awadh or Oudh. It was the region of Lucknow-Faizabad-Gorakhapur.

Some names like Thiruvananthapuram I cannot even pronounce
Ditto! I've been trying since the last several years!! :hitwall:

How about trying to pronounce Venkatanarasimharajuvaripeta?? :cheesy: By the way, this one's in Andhra Pradesh!

Cheers!

With my mother's birthplace being Patna, & her being raised in Patna as well; along with my whole mother's side currently living in India (& some of my father's side as well; my father was born in Ranchi btw), I just thought of this because of my genuine curiosity, not because I wanted this to come off as an anti-Indian thread. You have some kind of objection to that?

Now, you are a Pakistani and that is what matters to me. You have shown your little knowledge of Indian affairs (and even many Pakistani affairs) many times.

For example, when you talked about Hindi not having the "sh" sound without knowing the basics.

I don't think it is an anti Indian thread but still when too many Pakistanis claim that we never shared anything, it is strange to see interest in a topic that doesn't effect you in the least bit.

I can understand their interest in Indian military affairs, economy etc. Not in our social affairs.

And you need to understand that something not sounding cool to you would be the least of our concerns if the cities or places are renamed. You are not an interested party in it and your personal preferences don't count.

This is not about you as an individual. It is just that Pakistanis have no say in Indians making such decisions. Same as we don't have a say in you naming your stuff after your own invaders.

Roy,
I would like to correct you. Patana was never called Awadh or Oudh. It was the region of Lucknow-Faizabad-Gorakhapur.

:lol: I know bro, it was two different sentence, well sort of anyways. Feeling lazy, its public holiday here. Are you from UP as well? Your surname suggests you are.

Back
Top Bottom