What's new

Why are military people generally arrogant with common civilians ?

The arrogant ones are usually young officers, say, from a major to down the hierarchy. A gun in your hand and goons in your gang give a sense of power most people covet and most young men fantasize of. I hear that a 2/Lt, at an age of 21/22 years, enjoys a status equal to a first class magistrate and a Major that of a DC.

Apart from that you go through a tough screening process which automatically gives you a sense of superiority once you get selected as a gentleman cadet. Also their integrity and seriousness, that comes from the training and above all from the very selection process that looks for those qualities in a young man, are sometimes misunderstood as arrogance.

Then again all young officers are not like that and the senior officers are quite modest.

This has been my personal experience as well as from what I have observed over the years . This seems to exist not only in India but in all countries of the world .I am not talking about a situation in which you threaten them or provoke them , but they are just generally rude with civilians .They have this superiority complex that is undeniable .

Why is it so ?

Not sure mate, but living in Nagpur I had met with a lot of military personal specially from the air force, they seemed pretty nice people. Though they were really strict about the rules, but you have to expect that considering they are trained for that. Other than that, I had never met a military personal who was threatening.

The police is other story though, specially the traffic police(hate those guys specially at night).

Its because they are cut off from the Civilians and have a world of their own where discipline is everything.We are very different from them and so when they retire some of them are unable to adjust and hence you get to hear such things.

Not sure mate, but living in Nagpur I had met with a lot of military personal specially from the air force, they seemed pretty nice people. Though they were really strict about the rules, but you have to expect that considering they are trained for that. Other than that, I had never met a military personal who was threatening.

The police is other story though, specially the traffic police(hate those guys specially at night).

Can't really blame them also. Long hours, paltry pay & hazardous working conditions..anyone can go bonkers

not same in Pakistan. We have nice and decent military men.

Who at regular intervals deposes civilians and captures power.

This has been my personal experience as well as from what I have observed over the years . This seems to exist not only in India but in all countries of the world .I am not talking about a situation in which you threaten them or provoke them , but they are just generally rude with civilians .They have this superiority complex that is undeniable .

Why is it so ?

That is not my experience of officers I have met in the UK or Pakistan

Life of a soldier is not an easy life...It does have psychological effects on most...
That odd arrogance is one of the side effects of Hardships...

My dad was in 1971 war and all i can say that it had negative effects on him..Specially when he saw scenes of torture and suffering and scenes you only see in horror movies...
Such as a stadium full of Corpses...

These experiences take their toll....

Let me say here , i have noticed this arrogance more with army people and not so much with people from air force or navy .

May it comes with the job. Army training is oriented towards meeting enemy head on unlike Navy or Airforce where they rarely see the faces of their opponents.

I guess you are right , the power of the gun and the fact that they have to meet the enemy head on makes them more aggressive .

Apart from this also perhaps the fact that usually people on lower levels (particularly jawans) in the army are less educated also probably has something to do with it whereas in Air force and Navy people essentially at all levels need to have a certain background of education .

They got superiority complex and from inside their heart they know they can't compete with civilians in life cuz there is more information, freedom, skill, education, money etc. where as these military people are outdated in this age
May be last few decades they had upper hand but now civilians don't grade military officer unless very very high rank
I wish these retire military personnels should be banned from taking positions from civilians

Let me say here , i have noticed this arrogance more with army people and not so much with people from air force or navy .

Because Army life is more challenging,demanding and agressive.Life in Kashmir and N-E are the most challenging days in anyones life.Being a soldier is more difficult than being an Aviator or Sailor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom