What's new

Why are military people generally arrogant with common civilians ?

Gandhi G in da house

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
This has been my personal experience as well as from what I have observed over the years . This seems to exist not only in India but in all countries of the world .I am not talking about a situation in which you threaten them or provoke them , but they are just generally rude with civilians .They have this superiority complex that is undeniable .

Why is it so ?

These things i have observed more with the army and not so much with the af and navy.

View it in terms of ancient times' warrior class vs peasant class.

That isn't how it is anymore . Non military people are not all peasants and many are respectable people in respectable professions.

So you are basically saying that they live with a primitive , ancient mentality which amounts to saying that they are delusional ?

They are pretty cut off from civvy life in most of their forward postings.

Even in the so called family stations, there isn't much interaction.

They control most of the prime land and real estate, while the civvies control most of the money and luxuries.

There is bound to be friction. And please believe me when I say that it is two sided.

There is a pervasive sentiment amongst the fauj that the only time they are appreciated is when our neighbour gives us a chance to.

That isn't how it is anymore . Non military people are not all peasants and many are respectable people in respectable professions.

So you are basically saying that they live with a primitive , ancient mentality which amounts to saying that they are delusional ?
I do training , carry gun, deployed in forward areas and required to give up our life while you civvies sleep in your comfortable houses complex.

The're used to salutes and deference and everybody calling them sir. Once they retire it all goes away- most of them can handle it but a few can't.
They create a military base of their own home and treat their family as subordinates, and then
Mutiny!!!

The're used to salutes and deference and everybody calling them sir. Once they retire it all goes away- most of them can handle it but a few can't.
They create a military base of their own home and treat their family as subordinates, and then
Mutiny!!!

Pertinent point. Personally I feel we as a nation do not do enough for our ex-servicemen.

I have heard this, 'bloody civilians' but I dont think faujis really belive it.

Hullo Doc, Good to have you back !

@ the topic, what is seen as arrogance is possibly a bit of inability to take nonsense.

Military minds are trained to be precise & specfic. To seperate the grain from the chaff , quick decsion making etc are ingrained in the Military mind.

The ignorance is both ways, it never ceases to amuse me when I am asked what rank comes after a major or who is senior a Maj General or a Lt General . While there is little doubt in the rank structure of say the Police ( constant interaction perhaps) the basics of the uniform are not known.

Cinema adds to the stupidity when a Fauji is shown as holding a glass of beer & prefixing everything with ' bloody' . The ranks & uniforms worn are invariably out of place. An officer from the supply corps is shown leading troops into battle .

In short it stems maybe from lack of interaction and lack of empathy for each other.

Greater interaction should help.

The reason is simple.. They sacrifice everything to make us sleep good.. But when they interact with civilians, civilians may talk arrogantly... Moreover the soldiers receive orders from someone like bereaucrats. who never enter military field...
The friction will be well known, if u become a army men!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom