What's new

Who was the greatest mathematician of ancient and medieval India

You do realize that you can't just change your ancestry by accepting the true religion?

Are Pakistanis ready to realize this fact, are they ready to explore their pre-Islamic past instead of fake claims that Muslim invaders civilized the natives.

Varahamihira (505–587) produced the Pancha Siddhanta (The Five Astronomical Canons). He made important contributions to trigonometry, including sine and cosine tables to 4 decimal places of accuracy and the following formulas relating sine and cosine functions:

Shridhara (c. 870–930), who lived in Bengal, wrote the books titled Nav Shatika, Tri Shatika and Pati Ganita. He gave:
A good rule for finding the volume of a sphere.
The formula for solving quadratic equations.

The Pati Ganita is a work on arithmetic and mensuration. It deals with various operations, including:
Elementary operations
Extracting square and cube roots.
Fractions.
Eight rules given for operations involving zero.
Methods of summation of different arithmetic and geometric series, which were to become standard references in later works.

Manjula

Aryabhata's differential equations were elaborated in the 10th century by Manjula (also Munjala), who realised that the expression[72]
could be approximately expressed as
He understood the concept of differentiation after solving the differential equation that resulted from substituting this expression into Aryabhata's differential equation.

Aryabhata II

Aryabhata II (c. 920–1000) wrote a commentary on Shridhara, and an astronomical treatise Maha-Siddhanta. The Maha-Siddhanta has 18 chapters, and discusses:
Numerical mathematics (Ank Ganit).
Algebra.
Solutions of indeterminate equations (kuttaka).

Bhaskara II

Bhāskara II (1114–1185) was a mathematician-astronomer who wrote a number of important treatises, namely the Siddhanta Shiromani, Lilavati, Bijaganita, Gola Addhaya, Griha Ganitam and Karan Kautoohal. A number of his contributions were later transmitted to the Middle East and Europe. His contributions include:

Arithmetic:
Interest computation
Arithmetical and geometrical progressions
Plane geometry
Solid geometry
The shadow of the gnomon
Solutions of combinations
Gave a proof for division by zero being infinity.

Algebra:
The recognition of a positive number having two square roots.
Surds.
Operations with products of several unknowns.
The solutions of:
Quadratic equations.
Cubic equations.
Quartic equations.
Equations with more than one unknown.
Quadratic equations with more than one unknown.
The general form of Pell's equation using the chakravala method.
The general indeterminate quadratic equation using the chakravala method.
Indeterminate cubic equations.
Indeterminate quartic equations.
Indeterminate higher-order polynomial equations.

Geometry:
Gave a proof of the Pythagorean theorem.

Calculus:
Conceived of differential calculus.
Discovered the derivative.
Discovered the differential coefficient.
Developed differentiation.
Stated Rolle's theorem, a special case of the mean value theorem (one of the most important theorems of calculus and analysis).
Derived the differential of the sine function.
Computed π, correct to five decimal places.
Calculated the length of the Earth's revolution around the Sun to 9 decimal places.

Trigonometry:
Developments of spherical trigonometry
The trigonometric formulas:
Is it possible that the Indian Mathematician Shridhara of Bengal was a teacher at ancient Nalanda University

First of all All the mathematicians most of them are from Kerala, Maharastra, Bengal one of them is from Kyberphaktoonkawa.

Dude, Gandhara was the integral part of ancient Indian civilization mentioned in number of ancient books, so it doesn't matter that these areas lie in Pakistan today.

Dude, Gandhara was the integral part of ancient Indian civilization mentioned in number of ancient books, so it doesn't matter that these areas lie in Pakistan today.

Yes you are true Ghandara is a part of ancient civilization, Mate I am just reminding the stats.

Are Pakistanis ready to realize this fact, are they ready to explore their pre-Islamic past instead of fake claims that Muslim invaders civilized the natives.

Accept the facts that all cultures have their decline, and it's undeniable Islam arrived only when the natives (I accept, my forefathers) were at their lowest; so in a way it's not all wrong. But yes, I am ready to explore our past but from a non religious perspective (blue people and space wars don't count)

First of all All the mathematicians most of them are from Kerala, Maharastra, Bengal one of them is from Kyberphaktoonkawa.

Secondly Aryan is not a race but a collection of Language speaking tribes stretching from Bengal to central asia.

Thirdly there is no such thing as true faith or true religion, there is a concept called "Karma" in Hinduism "when you do good Karma even if you anger GOD you will receive good", When you do bad deed even if you pray to GOD you will receive your punishment.

I am a firm believer of the Karma principle and I do not want any holy texts to guide me like Kindergarten student.

My nana originates from mahrahstr-whatever and my dada is from KP/afghan region your point is?

Sorry only true religion is scientology, rest are fakes.

What about pastafarianism?

Accept the facts that all cultures have their decline,

The cultural decline means natives were unable to protect their land, that happens with Arabs, Turks or British conquest of India. All of them attacked India because they wanted to control the riches of India. Leaving beside Pakistani version of fascinating story of Muhammad Bin Qasim, Arab main goal for attacking Sindh was controlling the sea trade route and putting extra pressure on Gandhara from two fronts to control the silk route.

I have even read that Raja Dahir gave asylum to follower of Iman Hussainn named Muhammad bin Allafi for which Ummayyads attacked Sindh.

and it's undeniable Islam arrived only when the natives (I accept, my forefathers) were at their lowest; so in a way it's not all wrong.

I don't think natives were at their lowest when Turks burnt down the Nalanda University.

My nana originates from mahrahstr-whatever and my dada is from KP/afghan region your point is?
?

Then trace your roots and feel proud, this topic has nothing to do with race or religion.

The cultural decline means natives were unable to protect their land, that happens with Arabs, Turks or British conquest of India. All of them attacked India because they wanted to control the riches of India. Leaving beside Pakistani version of fascinating story of Muhammad Bin Qasim, Arab main goal for attacking Sindh was controlling the sea trade route and putting extra pressure on Gandhara from two fronts to control the silk route.

I have even read that Raja Dahir gave asylum to follower of Iman Hussainn named Muhammad bin Allafi for which Ummayyads attacked Sindh.

I don't think natives were at their lowest when Turks burnt down the Nalanda University.

Mate Mohammed Bin Qasim lost in the "Battle of Rajasthan" and after that he was executed by the new Caliph.

12-13 century , When Muslim Invaders Burnt Worlds largest library in Nalanda it was beginning .

what are you doing with Pakistani and British Flag.

Probably ashamed of his country as they are every where in the world

Chachnamah says he was punished because he violated Raja Dahir's two daughters before the Caliph could.

No it was the power struggle that led to his killing, the new Caliph want to kill all the potential men who can claim the throne. Not only Qasim but relatives of him are also eliminated.

Then trace your roots and feel proud, this topic has nothing to do with race or religion.

Mate Mohammed Bin Qasim lost in the "Battle of Rajasthan" and after that he was executed by the new Caliph.
Well, its understandable that pakistanis are not interested in pre-muslim history.
For example todays India flourished during the period of 6th to 13th century as it was ruled
by at least 5 major Dynasties like the Pala Dynasty, Rashtrakuta Dynasty, Pratihara Dynasty, Chola Dynasty
and Western Chalukya Dynasty. A lot of great rulers like Harsha, Dharmapala, Amoghavarsha,
Raja Chola and Bhoja emerged during this period in todays India.
But what do we know about the history of Pakistan during the period of 6th century to the
Arab conquest of Pakistan? Todays Pakistan probably declined after the 6th century and
thats the reason why the Arabs were able to conquer some parts of Pakistan in the 8th century.

Well, its understandable that pakistanis are not interested in pre-muslim history.
For example todays India flourished during the period of 6th to 13th century as it was ruled
by at least 5 major Dynasties like the Pala Dynasty, Rashtrakuta Dynasty, Pratihara Dynasty, Chola Dynasty
and Western Chalukya Dynasty. A lot of great rulers like Harsha, Dharmapala, Amoghavarsha,
But what do we know about the history of Pakistan during the period of 6th century to the
Arab conquest of Pakistan? Todays Pakistan probably declined after the 6th century and
thats the reason why the Arabs were able to conquer some parts of Pakistan in the 8th century.

Yes true indeed but Raja Dahir was facing Internal conflicts during Qasim invasion of Sindh. It is unfortunate for India that it has no powerful empire at that time to make sub continent powerful so that these invaders can be pushed back.

It is also unfortunate that India always has to suffer from invasions from Central Asia, instead we should have ventured into that part and sub dued the enemy, instead waiting for enemy to launch an invasion.Considering historically India has riches and man power to do that.

Accept the facts that all cultures have their decline, and it's undeniable Islam arrived only when the natives (I accept, my forefathers) were at their lowest; so in a way it's not all wrong. But yes, I am ready to explore our past but from a non religious perspective (blue people and space wars don't count)

Hold on.

I'm a pastafarian, converted by Chief Meatball Sualeh Keen (look him up on Facebook).

I am not sure why you say this.

The history of the different parts of what is Pakistan today is very well known.

Yes true indeed but Raja Dahir was facing Internal conflicts during Qasim invasion of Sindh. It is unfortunate for India that it has no powerful empire at that time to make sub continent powerful so that these invaders can be pushed back.

It is also unfortunate that India always has to suffer from invasions from Central Asia, instead we should have ventured into that part and sub dued the enemy, instead waiting for enemy to launch an invasion.Considering historically India has riches and man power to do that.
The ancient and medieval Indians considered Central Asia a mleccha (barbarian) country and they thought that they get polluted if they enter Central Asia.

The ancient and medieval Indians considered Central Asia a mleccha (barbarian) country and they thought that they get polluted if they enter Central Asia.

But slaying the enemies has nothing to do with barbarians :undecided:

Having look at this bhaskara was indeed great!

Bh

I always thought the first use/discovery of calculus was either leibinz or newton.....

For a lot of those claims made on his wiki page it says "Citation needed" just some Indians editing wiki to either fabricate information or didn't provide the source or evidence for their claims.

your should read math books written by your arabian master where they mention names of Indian mathematicians...This is not false history...this is globally accepted and here to stay...we respect our scientists...we do not vandalize graves of our scientists...

Yeah and that's why you Indians leach off of Pakistan's ancient Indus valley history, when most of your Indian ethnic groups/people have no claim, linkage, or heritage to the Indus valley whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom