What's new

What Studying Muhammad Taught Me About Islam

Shame on you Alpha, siding with a guy who comes here tries to put her down just for presenting an OP-ED of a western examination of Muhammad's life.

Fauj 'historian' get a life and allow people to read this passage and discuss as they wish. Don't start rambling about the world and it's problems.

It is not even about fauji, he is not siding with him he is just opposing someone else. :lol:

What is Mullah Islam, I follow no such thing. Are you trying to make an assumption about me? Anyway I was not referring to you.

I know you were not referring to me , And I did not make any assumption about you . You should avoid calling someone atheist unless he himself says that he is one .

I know you were not referring to me , And I did not make any assumption about you . You should avoid calling someone atheist unless he himself says that he is one .

Atheist is not an insult and if they weren't atheists they would just say so. My original point stands. :coffee:

Well said. bro!

Well said.

There is a tendency among many posters to view others in black and white, us vs. them fashion from a very narrow nay stone age religious POV.

So if you refuse to sleep on the heap of sand in 2014, they feel some Sunnah is being violated in a bad way :D

I have quoted from the OP that you posted.

No need to get personal.

Not a single time I have mentioned YOU.

just discuss the OP please.

Thank you
Fauji bhai. you are much more older than me. So i dont have the authority to advice you. But still I will say, dont say bitter truths to extremists. Someday these posts may be taken as evidence to prove blasphemy against you. I have seen these people in my country. Best wishes.

Islamists should project people like Craig as much as possible. You just need to go to his blog - Craig Considine
Share his posts - in ALL of them he sings paeans to Islam and in some bashes Christianity. Good for him perhaps. :) Peace.

PS - I have nothing for or against his views. So don't nuke me :D

Craig Considine
Ph.D. candidate, Trinity College Dublin; Film director, 'Journey into America'; Interfaith activist
Posted: 01/21/2014 2:06 pm

Muslims worldwide have recently joined together to celebrate Mawlid al-Nabi, the birthday of the Prophet Muhammad. This day is an opportunity for Muslims and non-Muslims, such as myself - a Catholic - to reflect upon the life and legacy of the prophet of Islam. In this short essay, I want to share with you what I have learned about Muhammad and how his legacy informs my understanding of Islam.

Muhammad's beliefs on how to treat religious minorities make him a universal champion of human rights, particularly as it pertains to freedom of conscience, freedom of worship, and the right for minorities to have protection during times of strife.

Muhammad initiated many legal covenants with Christians and Jews after establishing his Muslim community. For example, in one covenant with the Christian monks at Mount Sinai, Egypt, Muhammad called on Muslims to respect Christian judges and churches, and for no Muslim to fight against his Christian brother or sister. Through this agreement, Muhammad made it clear that Islam, as a political and philosophical way of life, respected and protected Christians.

Similarly, in the Treaty of Maqnah, the Prophet stated Jews "may be in peace... you are in security [under Muhammad's rule]... Towards you is no wrong and no enmity. After today you will not be subject to oppression or violence." In the Constitution of Medina, a key document which laid out a societal vision for Muslims, Muhammad also singled out Jews, who, he wrote, "shall maintain their own religion and the Muslim theirs... The close friends of Jews are as themselves." In safeguarding the rights of Jews, Muhammad made it clear that a citizen of an Islamic state did not have to follow Islam and that Muslims should treat Jews as they would their own friends. In developing these agreements with his fellow Muslims, Christians, and Jews, Muhammad clearly rejected elitism and racism and demanded that Muslims see their Abrahamic brothers and sisters as equals before God.

According to Muhammad, humanity was at the heart of Islam. In my reading and interpretation of his last sermon at Mount Arafat in 632 AD, I learned that the Prophet fought against racism long before the days of Martin Luther King Jr. and Nelson Mandela. In the sermon, he argued "An Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab, nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab... a white person has no superiority over a black nor does a black have any superiority over white except by piety and good action." Muhammad's final sermon informed me that Islam teaches Muslims to be tolerant of difference and welcome to diversity.

My research has also highlighted how Muhammad had similar beliefs to that of George Washington, a key founding father of America. In a January 2013 article for the Huffington Post titled "An Unlikely Connection Between Muhammad and George Washington," I examined how these two great men virtually shared identical opinions on social conduct, modesty, humility, respect, and even hygiene. In making these connections, it seems to me that Islamic values as expressed by Muhammad, and American values as expressed by Washington, are quite similar. Muslims and non-Muslim Americans can look to the example of Prophet Muhammad and George Washington as a way to build bridges of cross-cultural understanding.

Studying Muhammad has taught me invaluable lessons on the fundamental principles of Islam, but more importantly, principles of life itself. His treatment of religious minorities and his basic moral beliefs have encouraged me to further promote dialogue between Muslims, Christians, and Jews, and to improve my own everyday character and conduct. Without a doubt, my research into the Prophet's life has showed me that he is a role model for both Muslims and non-Muslims and that humanity can benefit from Islam.

What Studying Muhammad Taught Me About Islam | Craig Considine

Interesting article! That is why I ask people to do their homework!

Congratulations...Fauji-Hysterian once again you ruined a thread and took the discussion somewhere else....

A person don't want to become such an idiot or foolish...Islam/MuhammadP.B.U.H has nothing to do with what idiotic muslims are doing these days if only one [hindu muslims chsitstians bhudists] study and adhere to their religions and muslims to islam in a right way things would be all good atleast people would act true humans...

Again congratulation Fauji-Hysterian you whine alot what solution do you have give us suggestions what would be a better religion or guide to fix muslims and pakistanis oh wait you need to go to africa give them advise to those barbarians on your way back you need to stop in mexico latin america to suggest your holy suggestions i almost forgot you need to tell japanese suicide is not good rather jumping in tsunami will give them instant shahdat, don't forget hindustan may you have enough resources to build public requirements there and shed some light on your holy faujibible.

@WebMaster @Aeronaut @Oscar see members told you men, this guy is never happy never sticks to discussion but straight away retardation continues i absolutely see no good content except for whining.

Back
Top Bottom