What's new

What Africans really think of China !!!!

UNP already suffered its biggest election defeat.

UNP leader a biggest joker, ask any Sri Lankan here.

UNP & its Newspaper!!!!

:coffee:

I was intrigued by this bit here which stated that roads were quickly swept away by the rains which seemed somewhat full of exaggeration. To the normal reader one would immediately think that the work was shoddy etc. Interestingly I came across a forum which a native African was posting his views on which is quite insightful please refer to the postings of a Chike Chukudebelu.

From what I have heard, no soil survey was done before making this highway. There was nothing wrong with the quality of the tarmac, but the base soil is very weak, and no stabilization and strengthening measures were taken . Same problem throughout the stretch, and if my source is to be believed the whole stretch is going to get washed away in the next few wet season.

lusaka-chirundu-road.jpg

lusaka-chirundu-road2.jpg

The Chinese firms have the know how and technology to make top class roads, but to meet the ridiculous deadlines that they set for themselves! they cut corners, overlook the basics, and this is what we see.

From what I have heard, no soil survey was done before making this highway. There was nothing wrong with the quality of the tarmac, but the base soil is very weak, and no stabilization and strengthening measures were taken . Same problem throughout the stretch, and if my source is to be believed the whole stretch is going to get washed away in the next few wet season.

lusaka-chirundu-road.jpg

lusaka-chirundu-road2.jpg

The Chinese firms have the know how and technology to make top class roads, but to meet the ridiculous deadlines that they set for themselves! they cut corners, overlook the basics, and this is what we see.

The impacted areas will likely be the mountainous areas of the roadworks, hopefully its lessoned learnt but I believe such problems will occur again. Ultimately when working in an area like Africa I believe the contractors will definitely cut corners if they know they can get away with it and hopefully the Chinese govt will step up or if not maybe the local govt will.

Interestingly I wonder if there are any rail projects gone awry in Africa, I would think that those projects would be of good quality given that the government would take a lot of interest in those projects.

China should be keeping low profile in Africa to avoid drawing criticism. In this regard, Indians there have been doing much better than the Chinese from my years’ experience living in various African countries. The only possible way to avoid criticism is to do nothing. Same principle applies to salary earners.

This is a report from a Sri Lankan Newspaper..which clearly explains what is going in Africa w.r.t Chinese investments..and they are scared it may so happen in Sri Lanka too....

SL opposition to follow Africa against China ?

Hundreds of textile factories across Nigeria collapsed in recent years because they could not compete with cheap Chinese garments, resulting in thousands of lost jobs. The second reason could be that the Chinese are bringing bad habits as well as trade and investment.
in 2005 india open the china silk route into india textile , by offering silk at a price half of the domestic price , by next few years the domestic silk production keep decline , and then now in year 2010-2011 , chinese silk price has been incresed more then twice and are now more then the domestic price but traders are still has to buy chinese silk coz the indian farmers of silk production has shifed to alternatives over the years....

Cheap Chinese copies shrink India's silk sari industry

Badruddin Ansari, one of the few weavers still in business, says that most of his former colleagues now struggle to eke out a living as vegetable sellers, tea stall operators or rickshaw drivers.
"To give just one example, a 55-year-old man I know started weaving at the age of 15," he said. "He quit the handloom three years ago and now works as a manual labourer. There are hundreds of thousands of people like him."
Weavers say that Chinese factories produce huge amounts of silk fabric at a government-subsidised prices and send the finished cloth to India.
More than 60 per cent of the handloom industry has collapsed in Varanasi

India : Raw silk prices up 87%. Sector demands abolishing duty - Textile News India
Chinese raw silk which was available at Rs 1750 per kg in August 2010, which is now available at over Rs 3275 per kg on December 9, up an astounding 87 percent, in a matter of four months. [/quote]

and i think samething of simmiler nature happened to pakistan textile industery over the years which no one in pakistan dare to talk due to political compultions

Keeping on Topic

Ultimately I believe every interaction between cultures will bring about the good and the bad, now we are comparing if China current investment into Africa is a better model as compared to the Western method of investments?

For a balance debate we can refer to the following link
Economist Debates: Africa and China

It was shown that 59% voted that China investment in Africa was welcomed

Actually, my comments are not for those indians but for africans. It seems that quite a few africans do not appreciate what China has done for them.

I have no idea how much more China need do for them? Do we treat them unfairly like their colony masters before?
There is nothing altruistic about what China is doing in Africa. Africans dont appreciate being taken for a ride. Everytime anything valuable was found in Africa, poor Africans suffered. China is no different from past colonial masters, although circumstances and methods of exploitation have definitely changed.

What did China do about Dafur? Looked the other way when mobs were carrying out genocide. China only needs resources to fuel its fast growing economy, others be damned. Africa gives what China needs, and China simply takes that!

So much for world power wannabe, overtaking US and what not malarkey, China can never be the beacon. Simply because it does NOT have a vision to guide countries and neither is it willing to take that responsibility. And then you want respect?

indians as usual taking joy at others' mis-fortunes

but actually, if the Sri Lankans or African nations are accepting Chinese help and not snubbing it --then it means China is on the right track and working to gain influence while allowing other side to also reap some benefits

if there were some flaws in construction or installed infrastructure then it should be reported and corrected.....simple as that.

There is nothing altruistic about what China is doing in Africa. Africans dont appreciate being taken for a ride. Everytime anything valuable was found in Africa, poor Africans suffered. China is no different from past colonial masters, although circumstances and methods of exploitation have definitely changed.

What did China do about Dafur? Looked the other way when mobs were carrying out genocide. China only needs resources to fuel its fast growing economy, others be damned. Africa gives what China needs, and China simply takes that!

So much for world power wannabe, overtaking US and what not malarkey, China can never be the beacon. Simply because it does NOT have a vision to guide countries and neither is it willing to take that responsibility. And then you want respect?

Didn't you read the thread? :lol:

China is not that interest in becoming the world power like what U.S. is now. We just want to get developed and trade with others. Foremost, we want to keep ourselves safe.

On topic: We're not doing what the colonialists did. What the colonialists did was steal their resources, and turn their people into slaves.

All this talk of "new colonialism" is complete BS, which African country have we taken as a "colony"? Which African country has joined the PRC?

indians as usual taking joy at others' mis-fortunes

but actually, if the Sri Lankans or African nations are accepting Chinese help and not snubbing it --then it means China is on the right track and working to gain influence while allowing other side to also reap some benefits

if there were some flaws in construction or installed infrastructure then it should be reported and corrected.....simple as that.

what is the situation of textile indutary in your country ?

Not a single f*ck will be given by the Chinese in this century.

Didn't you read the thread? :lol:

On topic: We're not doing what the colonialists did. What the colonialists did was steal their resources, and turn their people into slaves.

All this talk of "new colonialism" is complete BS, which African country have we taken as a "colony"? Which African country has joined the PRC?

China faces charges of colonialism in Africa - Asia - Pacific - International Herald Tribune - The New York Times

Why China is trying to colonise Africa - Telegraph

Africa will not put up with a colonialist China | Sanou Mbaye | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

China and Africa: Colonialism without responsibility | SomalilandPress.com

Back
Top Bottom