What's new

War Strategy: The collapse of Cold Start

ajtr

BANNED
Reaction score
War Strategy: The collapse of Cold Start

The Government of India has told US authorities that it did not 'directly endorse, support or advocate' Cold Start, the army's battle plan for a swift multi-pronged ground retaliatory assault against Pakistan. In a secret US cable 'Cold Start, myth and reality' sent by US Ambassador Timothy J. Roemer on February 16, the ambassador cites his talks with then National Security Adviser M.K. Narayanan.

The cable, put out by Wikileaks, was despatched to Washington within less than 72 hours of the February 13 bomb attack on Pune's German Bakery that killed 17 persons. For India to trigger Cold Start would be "to roll the nuclear dice", Roemer said. While the principal objective of Cold Start appeared to be punish Pakistan without provoking a nuclear response, Indian leaders were not quite sure whether their Pakistan counterparts would refrain from such a response. The cables point to diplomatic pressure being applied by the US, allegedly at Pakistan's behest.

Nonstarter​

Limited Support from the Government

Several high-level officials, including the NSA, have said the Government doesn't endorse the doctrine. Plan also suffers serious resource constraints and hence may never be put into battlefield use.

Only Mixed Results Predicted

Logistical problems, slow resupply of ammunition and heavily populated areas in Pakistani Punjab and Sindh.

Potential risk of nuclear conflict would need highly opaque decision-making

A plan for swift retaliation calls for close co-ordination between the military and political leadership. The present ad-hoc nature of decision-making doesn't suggest this.

Utility may lie only in its mere existence than application

Doctrine existed since 2004 but India did not use it after the 26/11 attacks in 2008. Pakistan not deterred from preventing terror attacks.

No joint planning with the Indian Air Force

Doctrine calls for heavy use of air power but no evidence of any planning being done with the air force.

The US ambassador also explains how the opacity of strategic decision-making in India could adversely impact a speedy response. "The precise function of the Cabinet Committee on Security in ratifying decisions to take military action, the character of the military's advisory responsibilities to the Cabinet, the possible ad hoc nature of decision-making in the upper levels of the Indian government and the role of Congress Party figures like Sonia Gandhi in this process are not clearly understood."
Assessments made by the US embassy predict mixed results for the doctrine owing to logistical problems, slow reinforcement, ammunition supply and heavily populated areas in Sindh and Pakistani Punjab.

Cold Start was born out of the failure of Operation Parakram in 2002 when a 10-month deployment by the army after the December 13, 2001 Parliament attack was called off. Unveiled at the army commanders' conference in 2004, the new doctrine called for 'shallow thrusts' by integrated battle groups using speed and heavy firepower across the international border in Punjab and Rajasthan.

The shallow thrusts were to avoid nuclear escalation by Pakistan. During Parakram, the army took over a month to mobilise, giving the international community a huge window to pressure New Delhi against retaliation. The new doctrine envisaged mobilising and attacking within 72 hours of a major terrorist incident or provocation by Pakistan.

The existence of the doctrine was first confirmed by then army chief General Deepak Kapoor in 2008. However, since then, the army seems to have developed cold feet. Present army chief General V.K. Singh has flatly denied its existence. "There is nothing called Cold Start. Our basic military posture is defensive," he said. The doctrine was not even on the agenda while the Government contemplated a response to the 26/11 Mumbai attacks.

Yet the doctrine has been on top of the US agenda at least since the beginning of President Barack Obama's ****** campaign. Pakistan frequently cited Cold Start as a reason for not sending troops into operations on the Afghan border.

Roemer questions both Pakistan's fears and India's ability to deter using the doctrine. "It calls into question the degree of sincerity of fear over Cold Start as expressed by Pakistani military leaders to US government officials." This is because despite knowing about Cold Start since 2004, Pakistan hasn't acted to prevent terror attacks against India.

The ambassador uses the aftermath of the 26/11 Pakistan-linked terror attack in Mumbai to show how Cold Start may not be India's only or preferred option after a terrorist attack. "Depending on the nature, location, lethality, public response, and timing of a terrorist attack, India might not respond at all or could pursue one of several other possible options," Roemer says.

The existence of the plan reassures the Indian public and may provide some limited deterrent effect on Pakistan.

Army officials confirm that the search is on for a new limited war doctrine that envisages a swift response without the army having to cross borders. It is likely to be 'airpower start', with air force jets joined by naval strikes and artillery assaults across the border.

"Cold Start looks very good in theory but in the Indian military context, no operation that has 'cold started' or begun with zero-warning has been a success," says military analyst Major General (Retd) G.D. Bakshi. The Forward Policy of 1962 ended with the rout of the army in the Himalayas and the 1965 war with Pakistan ended in a stalemate. Only the 1971 war succeeded because the government delayed the operation by nine months.

M.K. Narayanan is among several high-level Government officials who told Roemer that they have never endorsed, supported or advocated this doctrine.

Roemer says the delay in India's political decision-making process between a Pakistan-linked terror attack and a Cold Start deployment could reduce the element of surprise.

Planners say another reason Cold Start was flawed from birth was because it gave the political leadership very little wiggle-room. "If you give the risk-averse political leadership a choice of 'all or nothing', they will prefer nothing," says a senior army official. The lack of induction of firepower-centric platforms like heavy artillery and the yet unresolved night-blindness of Indian tanks were, no doubt, factored in by Roemer.
Nearly a decade after the army dug in to eyeball Pakistan, it has only received T90 battle tanks and Smerch multiple rocket launchers from Russia. Cold Start may have been doomed from birth.

The unavoidable conclusion is that India is not interested in invading Pakistan even for limited gains, hence much of the Pakistani military's obsession with India doing so is unfounded.

Or more like India does not has the capability to launch something on the lines of a Cold Start and Pakistan having the necessary deterrent capabilities to thwart aggression from India. Last i read India was threatening Pakistan with surgical strikes and a war, so i wouldn't blame Pakistan's military for being obsessed with India's hegemonic designs against Pakistan. Also last i checked, if Pakistan purchases a single bullet India starts screaming from the top of her lungs. Should tell you volumes of who is obsessed with whom :coffee:

i wish india implement cold start now...it will be fun to see them in shambles...lol...you guys dont even have a dozen c 130s with you ...i dont think cold start practically even exists....

i think any one with practical military knowledge would agree that it would be fun retaliating to indians so called cold start. their troops will be stuck here, there planes will be shot down...and there will be humiliation ...

ps: i dont beleive in indian bashing at all. i think most indian members should agree they just dont have the capacity. cold start is just a force multiplier for dialog and negotiations. it practically does not exist.

Last edited:
JUst a few weeks ago, Xeric had started a thread on Cold Start which generated more than 300+ replies and here we are again, discussing the same thing again and again and wasting bandwidth.

Do you ppl dont see existing threads before you open a thread on the same topic again ?

india try the cold start after mumbai attack and after parliament attack , the purpose was to deter pakistan to use terror against india , but the policy fails as pakistan keep supporting terror , therefore the policy was abandon coz it no point spanding so much money and man power to deploy such huge army on boarders for doing nothing...

Or more like India does not has the capability to launch something on the lines of a Cold Start and Pakistan having the necessary deterrent capabilities to thwart aggression from India. Last i read India was threatening Pakistan with surgical strikes and a war, so i wouldn't blame Pakistan's military for being obsessed with India's hegemonic designs against Pakistan. Also last i checked, if Pakistan purchases a single bullet India starts screaming from the top of her lungs. Should tell you volumes of who is obsessed with whom :coffee:

Surgical strikes does not mean invasion..... It means destroy something which does not provide peace to our country... You people will also talk the same surgical strike if we had setup some similar camps and send terrorist across border to your country and destroying your country into bits and pieces.. Only if there is a fire in your house you will understand the pain.. if the fire is in your neighbour hood you will not care ...

RAW should also setup similar thing like ISI does .... ... i guess such unconventional war fare is the need at this moment..

i wish india implement cold start now...it will be fun to see them in shambles...lol...you guys dont even have a dozen c 130s with you ...i dont think cold start practically even exists....

i think any one with practical military knowledge would agree that it would be fun retaliating to indians so called cold start. their troops will be stuck here, there planes will be shot down...and there will be humiliation ...

ps: i dont beleive in indian bashing at all. i think most indian members should agree they just dont have the capacity. cold start is just a force multiplier for dialog and negotiations. it practically does not exist.

there is or was no such thing like cold start. & as far as banging india in war is concerned, i m not surprised many of u still lives in delusion.

Anyone with practical military knowledge won't be calling war fun. That is usually the mark of more immature internet warriors. I don't know what you know of cold start but obviously not much, considering your post. Capacity can & will continue to accrue though your emphasis on C 130's is completely off base. These are not para drops alone that is being spoken of. It is multiple incursions by small integrated battle groups originating from within the holding Corps without waiting for the main strike corps that is the basis of the doctrine.

Whether all the elements for Cold Start are in place now or not, whether the doctrine goes by that name or not, you can be certain that much smarter people than you will be working on something to that effect. The only way to completely bin 'cold start' & other doctrines of a similar nature is by improving ties. Silly comments are not going to make the doctrines go anywhere.

I believe the C-17 globe masters, being procured are precisely to have a heavy lift capability to move troops and equipment around.

They may feature in the CS strategy, but agree as it stands today, India does not have the kind of heavy lift capability or the infrastructure in form of roads and rails to support such a doctrine.

there is or was no such thing like cold start. & as far as banging india in war is concerned, i m not surprised many of u still lives in delusion.

:) not banging india in an all out war, but definitely if they try cold start...:)

1. india does not have any air penetration capability

2. their special forces are not special as we have seen in mumbai attacks. there is yet an event to come that will show that indian special forces are any good. the flying bandit scarfs look good only in pics.

3. no evidence of any war games or excercises based on cold war tactics

4. all pakistani strategic locations are near air defence divisions. they are open vast lands where air bourne troops could be sitting ducks. the war on terror has trained p@ki soldiers for ruthless tactical conflicts.and i am sure talibans are better fighters then most of the special forces around the world.

5.do some one remember what excuse indian navy commandoes had when they reached late during mumbai attacks?? they claimed no one provided them with a transport bus.

6.in short india does not have any of the things which are rquired for cold start, like airborne precision, speedy and proven special forces, air drop facilities, experience and communication system

7. one more thing. you need atleast 2 air borne divisions to attack around 2 dozen sites of pakistan. :)

Last edited:
1. india does not have any air penetration capability

Ya, our air force is just another flying club.

2. their special forces are not spceial as we have seen in mumbai attacks. there is yet an event to come that will show that indian special forces are any good. the flying bandit scarfs look good only in pics.

This again goes on to show that you have some growing up to do.

3. no evidence of any war games or excercises based on cold war tactics

Well if there is no doctrine, then whats the point of having an exercise.

4. all pakistani strategic locations are near air defence divisions. they are open vast lands where air bourne troops could be sitting ducks. the war on terror has trained p@ki soldiers for ruthless tactical conflicts.and i am sure talibans are better fighters then most of the special forces around the world.

No all operations are like "Black Hawk Down".

5.do some one remember what excuse indian navy commandoes had when they reached late during mumbai attacks?? they claimed no one provided them with a transport bus.

The NSG reached late. The MARCOS where on time & did a good job of containing the terrorists.

6.in short india does not have any of the things which are rquired for cold start, like airborne precision, speedy and proven special forces, air drop facilities, experience and communication system

7. one more thing. you need atleast 2 air borne divisions to attack around 2 dozen sites of pakistan. :)

Again. Please grow up!!

Who is india to judge that what will and will not provoke nuclear response from India?? We might be triggered by something as small as military buildup on the border. Pakistan should invest in small tactical nukes to lay waste vast swath of Indian infantry inside Pakistani desserts without inflicting any damage to its citizen.

Back
Top Bottom