What's new

US attacks China!! a scenario

"That is probably the vaguest paragraph is have read in a while, in the context of the Vietnam war how again did the US win against the USSR and China?"

@ ptldM3
You got it. If we press our friend for an explanation; he'll (probably) give some convoluted explanation as to how Viet Nam led to the dissolution of the USSR. i won't be surprised.

Then a global textile agreement through the World Trade Organization ended virtually all textile quotas in 2005. But Pakistan still finds itself unable to compete. Much of the business has fallen to China, India and Bangladesh.

The mills in Faisalabad are sluggish. Cotton is being imported from India. Unlabeled fabrics are being imported from China by Faisalabad mills that do no more than sew "Made in Pakistan" labels on them before shipping them abroad, Mr. Rehman said.

"A thousand mills – and 600 are closed or for sale," he said. The mills have closed in the last two or three years, or in the time since trade restraints on textiles have largely vanished around the world. "People are lowering standards, buying cheaper dyes, trying to compete with China."

Chinese textile 'tsunami' hits Africa and Asia

Beijing (AsiaNews/Agencies) – Chinese textiles have hit international markets with a vengeance taking market shares from western manufacturers but also from those in the developing world.

Faced with this textile 'tsunami', many African companies are forced under.

African manufacturers had benefited when the United States opened its domestic market in 2000. Production in Africa soared so much that Asian manufacturers delocalised in countries like Kenya, Madagascar and Swaziland.

In just five years, Lesotho became a major textile manufacturer, with textiles representing 90 per cent of its total export earnings and 31 per cent of African textile exports to the US.

But now all that is disappearing. During the first two weeks of 2005, six plants have shut down with a total job loss of 15,000 with another 10,000 workers put on short term. Unemployment has risen to 40 per cent.

If the USA wanted to attack China, the way to do it would be use the world wide media of the USA to hammer China takeing the jobs away from the poor people of every country in the world....right now China is buying up yarn from countries like Pakistan and causeing tens of thousands of Pakistanis to lose their jobs. The USA could convince poor people in every country in the world that they are loseing jobs to chinese cheap labor and undervalueing the yaun.

First of all for Textile Tsumani as you or your article has claimed. What China did is more than I can say for any other western countries.

February 20, 2007

Deborah Brautigam

Doing Well or Doing Good?

Africa has a long history of unhappy experiences with outside powers coming to exploit the continent. This is the background for Adama’s concern that China is a new “imperial power” with a “colonialist project” who will “pretend to be the savior of Africa”. Once they get what they want, Adama fears, they are then likely to “forget about Africa.”

Adama, we should be wary of slotting the China-Africa relationship into categories we know from the colonial period or the Cold War. There is no evidence that China is trying to carve up Africa or form cozy relationships with a few proxy states that bow to its ideology or grant it military bases. They may be sending hard-nosed, profit-oriented investors, but China does not demand that African countries grant it imperial preferences, captive markets, or land.

I respect and share Adama’s concerns that China’s neutrality about dreadful dictators in places like Zimbabwe or Sudan makes no contribution to regime change in these countries. Chinese leaders have repeatedly stressed the principle of “mutual noninterference in domestic affairs” since the Asian-African Bandung Conference in 1955. But be careful, Adama, what you wish for. Do you really want to see a China that interferes in the domestic affairs of African countries?

Is China an “unreliable partner,” as Adama charges? I disagree. China did not “forget about Africa” after 1978. China’s top leaders made high level visits to Africa in 1979 (Li Xiannian), 1982-83 (Zhao Ziyang), 1984, 1997, 1999, 2001 (Li Peng), 1992 (Yang Shangkun), 1996, 2000, and 2002 (Jiang Zemin), and 2002 (Zhu Rongji - twice). Vice-premier Qian Qichen visited more than thirty-six African countries between 1990 and 1998. We just weren’t paying attention.

During these years, China also kept up an active menu of aid projects in more than forty-five African countries. Their annual aid commitments in Africa sometimes surpassed those of Japan, Norway, Sweden, and even Britain. The flurry of activity we see today has deep roots.

Adama is right that the Chinese are not “philanthropists.” But they never claimed to be. Since the days of Zhou Enlai, Chinese leaders have repeatedly said that their aid program is not a form of charity but based on “mutual benefit.” One rarely sees this kind of frankness in aid programs of the West.

All good relationships involve communication. I see some signs that China is listening. When South Africa complained about the “tsunami” of textiles from China, Beijing agreed to voluntary export restraints. When Zambian workers rioted at Chinese-owned mines, Chinese officials openly criticized the owners’ labor practices. There are clearly rocky areas in this relationship, but on balance, I see more on the positive side of the ledger here. Yes, the Chinese are certainly doing well by Africa. It is up to Africans to ensure that the net result for them, too, is good.

Second of all, it is ridiculous to think that US or other European countries can rally those poor countries to blame on China for their economic disadvantages without looking into their own past and repent for their own sins. By comparison China and Africa's relationship is much fairer than what the west had with Africa.
CARTOON&

_01FDB977_1A8C_4798_9E3F_74595EA2088B_.gif

2005-07-05%20Farm%20subsidies%20G8%20Africa%20226.jpg

Third of all, I need say no more, since the other has done that for me here.

Last edited:
The World of China Inc.
By Hannah Beech / Ramu Monday, Dec. 07, 2009

Market forces Chinese workers for the Ramu nickel refinery being built at Papua New Guinea's Basamuk Bay shop for snacks from local villagers

Kemal Jufri / Imaji for TIME
Lunch at the site of the future Ramu nickel and cobalt mine in the remote hills of Papua New Guinea is a hurried affair, food shoveled into eager mouths. But the menu is as divided as the two distinct groups of workers squatting in the heat, swatting away flies and filling their bellies before their nine-hour, seven-day-a-week shifts begin again. In one huddle are local laborers chewing chunks of sweet potato and the canned fish known in pidgin dialect as tinpis. In another clump are imported workers from China who dig into rice topped with pork belly and chili – black bean sauce. The Chinese, who were shipped in by the state-owned China Metallurgical Group Corp. that has invested $1.4 billion into this faraway outpost, can understand neither English nor pidgin, two of the national languages. The Papua New Guineans speak no Mandarin. Even at mealtime, an event during which both cultures would normally encourage community and hospitality, the air is weighted by mutual incomprehension. "How can we eat together if everything about us is different?" asks Shen Jilei, whose first overseas experience transferred him directly from China's Sichuan province to a South Pacific nation he hadn't even known existed.

Notes of culture clash ring everywhere I wander in the vast construction zones that by the end of this year will turn a pristine stretch of virgin forest and grassland into one of the world's largest nickel-extraction sites. On the palm-fringed coast of Basamuk Bay, where the Ramu refinery will be situated, a chatty Beijing-born building engineer tells me that before the Chinese arrived, "the natives were completely uncivilized and running around almost naked." I voice my doubts, telling him that I've just talked to a nearby villager who described a PowerPoint presentation she recently made detailing environmental concerns about the mine. The engineer, like many other Chinese I meet, remains unimpressed. "All they do is chew betel nut and act lazy," he says. "They don't know how to work hard like we Chinese do."
(See pictures of Chinese investment in Africa.)

The impression the Chinese have left on many P.N.G. nationals isn't much better. A local landowner whose ancestral territory lies in the middle of the mine site alleges, improbably, that the nickel will be used to feed a secret Chinese weapons program. In the capital Port Moresby, my driver announces that if a gang to evict Chinese from P.N.G. is formed, he will be the first to join. "I will sharpen my bush knife and chop 10 or 20 heads," he says. The unease about Chinese influence extends to government circles, even if the Ramu mine promises to add 8 percentage points to the country's GDP. "I know the Chinese are going out everywhere in the world and investing successfully," says Rona Nadile, an assistant secretary of labor and industrial relations. "But what I don't understand is why are they are so stubborn to not respect our local culture. We are a democracy. They have to play by our rules or we will rise up."

Mixed Blessings
When China began its global investment push in the early part of this century, the flood of new money was welcomed, particularly in those parts of Asia, Africa and Latin America that felt abandoned by the West. China's promise not to politicize aid and investment by attaching pesky conditions like improved human rights pleased many governments. Between 2003 and 2008, Chinese direct investment overseas skyrocketed — rising from $75 million to $5.5 billion in Africa, 1 billion to $3.7 billion in Latin America and jumping from $1.5 billion to $43.5 billion in Asia. The People's Republic now ranks as the No. 1 foreign investor in countries as diverse as Sudan and Cambodia. In exchange for the natural resources needed to feed China's economic engine, Beijing began an assiduous campaign to win foreign hearts and minds by financing stadiums, hospitals and lavish government offices. The Foreign Ministry in East Timor was built courtesy of the Chinese, while Guinea-Bissau's marble-accented parliament building was a gift from Beijing.

Some countries, however, are no longer as willing to extend a red carpet toward the globetrotting Chinese. Although political strings might not come with Beijing's cash, there are economic catches. The roads, mines and other infrastructure on offer are most often built by armies of imported Chinese labor, cutting down on the net financial benefit to recipient nations. Chinese companies investing abroad also tend to ship in nearly everything used on building sites, from packs of dehydrated noodles to the telltale pink-hued Chinese toilet paper. It's not only the contracted Chinese workers who show up, either. Within a few years, their relatives invariably seem to materialize to set up shops selling cheap Chinese goods that threaten the livelihood of indigenous entrepreneurs. Locals who do get work on Chinese-funded projects complain that their bosses don't heed national labor laws ensuring minimum wage or trade-union protection. Over the past three years, anti-Chinese riots have erupted everywhere from the Solomon Islands and Zambia to Tonga and Lesotho. Tensions are also simmering in India, where the Chinese are involved in several major infrastructure projects. Even high-level officials are speaking up. In Vietnam, plans for a $140 million Chinese-operated open-pit bauxite mine were publicly excoriated by none other than revolutionary hero General Vo Nguyen Giap because, he said, of "the serious risk to the natural and social environment."

An Island Apart
Nestled in one of the most backward parts of one of the world's least developed nations, the Ramu mine has emerged as an acute example of resentment against China Inc. In 2004 P.N.G. Prime Minister Michael Somare returned home from Beijing, triumphant at having snared the country's largest foreign-investment project to date. The euphoria was short-lived. Landowners brandished slingshots and announced they wouldn't sign off on their tribal territory being used for mineral extraction, no matter what document was signed in China's Great Hall of the People. Environmentalists cried foul over plans to deposit mine waste in the sparkling Basamuk Bay, while local workers protested conditions that even P.N.G.'s Minister for Labor and Industrial Relations David Tibu described as slavelike and "not fit for pigs or dogs." Skirmishes repeatedly broke out between villagers and the 1,500-plus imported Chinese laborers, some of whom were working illegally in P.N.G. At the same time, anger has boiled over because of an influx of thousands of Chinese who over the past couple of years have monopolized businesses that by law should be reserved for P.N.G. nationals. In May, anti-Chinese riots convulsed cities nationwide, and several people were killed amid the looting of Chinese-owned shops. "Our timber, our minerals, everything, goes to China," says Damien Ase, founder of the nonprofit Centre for Environmental Law and Community Rights in Port Moresby. "But we get so little in return."

Read "Another Deal Blown, Where Will China Invest Now?"

Read more: Workers of the World vs. China Inc. - TIME

Been there done that, China's turn now.

"That is probably the vaguest paragraph is have read in a while, in the context of the Vietnam war how again did the US win against the USSR and China?"

@ ptldM3
You got it. If we press our friend for an explanation; he'll (probably) give some convoluted explanation as to how Viet Nam led to the dissolution of the USSR. i won't be surprised.

I kind of like this one.

This article was written ten years ago, initially published on April 30th 1995 in the context of the 20th anniversary of the Liberation of Saigon.

A more in-depth analysis based on fieldwork conducted in Vietnam focusing on Hanoi's neoliberal reforms was subsequently published in Michel Chossudovsky's book, The Globalization of Poverty, first edition 1997, second edition, 2003.

On April 30, 1975, the Vietnam War ended with the capture of Saigon by Communist forces and the surrender of General Duong Vanh Minh and his cabinet in the Presidential palace. As troops of the People's Army of Vietnam marched into Saigon, U.S. personnel and the last American marines were hastily evacuated from the roof of the U.S. embassy. Twenty years later a fundamental question still remains unanswered: Who won the Vietnam War?

Vietnam never received war reparations payments from the U.S. for the massive loss of life and destruction, yet an agreement reached in Paris in 1993 required Hanoi to recognize the debts of the defunct Saigon regime of General Thieu. This agreement is in many regards tantamount to obliging Vietnam to compensate Washington for the costs of war.

Moreover, the adoption of sweeping macro-economic reforms under the supervision of the Bretton Woods institutions was also a condition for the lifting of the U.S. embargo. These free market reforms now constitute the Communist Party's official doctrine. With the normalization of diplomatic relations with Washington in 1994, reference to America's brutal role in the war is increasingly considered untimely and improper. Not surprisingly, Hanoi had decided to tone down the commemoration of the Saigon surrender so as not to offend its former wartime enemy. The Communist Party leadership has recently underscored the "historic role" of the United States in "liberating" Vietnam from Vichy regime and Japanese occupation during World War II.

On September 2, 1945 at the Declaration of Independence of Ba Dinh Square in Hanoi proclaiming the founding of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam, American agents of the Office of Strategic Services (OSS, the predecessor of today's CIA) were present at the side of Ho Chi Minh. While Washington had provided the Viet Minh resistance with weapons and token financial support, this strategy had largely been designed to weaken Japan in the final stages of World War II without committing large numbers of U.S. ground troops.

In contrast to the subdued and restrained atmosphere of the commemoration marking the end of the Vietnam War, the 50th anniversary of independence is to be amply celebrated in a series of official ceremonies and activities commencing in September and extending to the Chinese NewYear.

Vietnam Pays War Reparations

Prior to the "normalization" of relations with Washington, Hanoi was compelled to foot the bill of the bad debts incurred by the U.S.-backed Saigon regime. At the donor conference held in Paris in November 1993, a total of nearly $2 billion of loans and aid money was generously pledged in support of Vietnam's free market reforms.

Yet immediately after the conference, a secret meeting was held under the auspices of the Paris Club. Present at this meeting were representatives of Western governments. On the Vietnamese side, Dr. Nguyen Xian Oanh, economic advisor to the prime minister, played a key role in the negotiations. Dr. Oanh, a former IMF official, had been Minister of Finance and later Acting Prime Minister in the military government of General Duong Van Minh, which the U.S. installed 1963 after the assassination of President Ngo Dinh Diem and his brother(f.2). Dr. Oanh, while formally mediating on behalf of the Communist government, was nonetheless responsive to the demands of Western creditors.

The deal signed with the IMF (which was made public) was largely symbolic. The amount was not substantial: Hanoi was obliged to pay the IMF $140 million (owned by the defunct Saigon regime) as a condition for the resumption of new loans. Japan and France, Vietnam's former colonial masters of the Vichy period, formed a so-called "Friends of Vietnam" committee to lend to Hanoi" the money needed to reimburse the IMF.

The substantive arrangement on the rescheduling of bilateral debts (with the Saigon regime), however, was never revealed. Yet it was ultimately this secret agreement (reached under the auspices of the Paris Club) which was instrumental in Washington's decision to lift the embargo and normalize diplomatic relations. This arrangement was also decisive in the release of the loans pledged at the 1993 donor conference, thereby bringing Vietnam under the trusteeship of Japanese and Western creditors. Thus twenty years after the war, Vietnam had surrendered its economic sovereignty.

By fully recognizing the legitimacy of these debts, Hanoi had agreed to repay loans that had supported the U.S. war effort. Moreover, the government of Mr. Vo Van Kiet had also accepted to comply fully with the usual conditions (devaluation, trade liberalization, privatization, etc.) of an IMF-sponsored structural adjustment program.

These economic reforms, launched in the mid-1980s with the Bretton Woods institutions, had initiated, in the war's brutal aftermath, a new phase of economic and social devastation: Inflation had resulted from the repeated devaluations that began in 1973 under the Saigon regime the year after the withdrawal of American combat troops(f.3). Today Vietnam is once again inundated with U.S. dollar notes, which have largely replaced the Vietnamese dong. With soaring prices, real earnings have dropped to abysmally low levels.

In turn, the reforms have massively reduced productive capacity. More than 5,000 out of 12,300 state-owned enterprises were closed or steered into bankruptcy. The credit cooperatives were eliminated, all medium and long term credit to industry and agriculture was frozen. Only short-term credit was available at an interest rate of 35 percent per annum (1994). Moreover, the IMF agreement prohibited the state from providing budget support either to the state-owned economy or to an incipient private sector.

The reforms' hidden agenda consisted in destabilizing Vietnam's industrial base. Heavy industry, oil and gas, natural resources and mining, cement and steel production are to be reorganized and taken over by foreign capital. The most valuable state assets will be transferred to reinforce and preserve its industrial base, or to develop a capitalist economy owned and controlled by Nationals.

In the process of economic restructuring, more than a million workers and over 20,000 public employees (of whom the majority were health workers and teachers) have been laid off(f.5). In turn, local famines have erupted, affecting at least a quarter of the country's population(f.6). These famines are not limited to the food deficit areas. In the Mekong delta, Vietnam's rice basket, 25% of the adult population consumes less than 1800 calories per day(f.7). In the cities, the devaluation of the dong together with the elimination of subsidies and price controls has led to soaring prices of rice and other food staples.

The reforms have led to drastic cuts in social programs. With the imposition of school fees, three quarters of a million children dropped out from the school system in a matter of a few years (1987-90)(f.8). Health clinics and hospitals collapsed, the resurgence of a number of infectious diseases including malaria, tuberculosis and diarrhea is acknowledged by the Ministry of Health and the donors. A World Health Organization study confirmed that the number of malaria deaths increased three-fold in the first four years of the reforms alongside the collapse of health care and soaring prices of antimalarial drugs(f.9). The government (under the guidance of the international donor community) has also discontinued budget support to the provision of medical equipment and maintenance leading to the virtual paralysis of the entire public health system. Real salaries of medical personnel and working conditions have declined dramatically: the monthly wage of medical doctors in a district hospital is as low as $15 a month(f.10).

Although the U.S. was defeated on the battlefield, two decades later Vietnam appears to have surrendered its economic sovereignty to its former Wartime enemy.

No orange or steel pellet bombs, no napalm, no toxic chemicals: a new phase of economic and social destruction has unfolded. The achievements of past struggles and the aspirations of an entire nation are undone and erased almost with a stroke of the pen.

Debt conditionality and structural adjustment under the trusteeship of international creditors constitute in the aftermath of the Vietnam War, an equally effective and formally nonviolent instrument of recolonization and impoverishment affecting the livelihood of millions of people.

Michel Chossudovsky is professor of economics at the University of Ottawa and Director of the Center for Research on Globalization

and he is wrong on the point of the US haveing a military defeat in Vietnam.

Your wrong about the U.S. not being able to defend against the Sunburn. It can even defend itself against the DF-21. In a large scale war though the U.S. would most likely suffer casualties. Though the biggest threat is actually from submarines. The Chinese Navy would also suffer big casualties, as well as the Chinese Air Force.

All that is mute though becuase the U.S. would not preemptively hit China. unless China was massing forces for an eminent attack. And I doubt China will do anything about Taiwan. It benefits more economically maintaining the status quo. A war would risk the world economy.

How is the USA going to defend herself from hundreds of incoming DF-21 with Nuclear or Chemical or Biological warheads mounted ???

Missile Defense ??? LOL.

China has MIRV technology...so one DF-21 will have multiple warheads. Missile Defense is USELESS !!!

If it ever gets to the point of nuclear war, your also talking about biological and chemical warfare,, massive amounts of radiation and nutron bombs,,,,no one is going to win.

If there were no other choices then let things happen naturally.

Anyways, during the invasion of Iraq, USA expected Saddam to use Chemical or Biological weapons but that chicken little did not do so.

That sounds horrific!

Haven't enough civilians died in the past century already?

Let's hope this never happens.

Well instead of China keep getting bullied by USA and the Western World then why not settle things once and for all. At least the final winner would be China.

Or all these fukc heads get these bloody weapons eliminated from this planet earth......

So far USA is the only country that used Nukes on another country.

Last edited:
LOL Capitalism is not an American invention...
No one said it was.

America lost to Vietnam, a small, poor, and backwards country. This is a historical fact. You can deny it all you want but the fact will remain.
Nooo...The historical facts are that the US withdrew the majority of ground forces by 1972 under 'Vietnamization' of the war. The only active duty branch was the USAF. South Viet Nam held its own for three more years, even held off the NVA in the Easter Offensive...

Easter Offensive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Only when the US Congress decided to cut off funding just to maintain air support did South Viet Nam felled. So when you said that the US 'lost to Vietnam' you are being historically and factually INCORRECT. There were two politically distinct Vietnams, so which one are you talking about?

America has never directly fought against a nuclear nation either,...
Neither did the mighty Soviet Union or its lackey China.

The rest is meaningless drivel.

How is the USA going to defend herself from hundreds of incoming DF-21 with Nuclear or Chemical or Biological warheads mounted ???

Missile Defense ??? LOL.

China has MIRV technology...so one DF-21 will have multiple warheads. Missile Defense is USELESS !!!
You are behind the news. The DF-21 is barely in the testing stage. Do you have any idea on how long it takes to test and finally deploy a missile?

So far USA is the only country that used Nukes on another country.
Your point is...???

So what should the course for Africa be then? Should the US go in and take the resources and provided tons of AID (bribe) money like before? The Africa debate sits on both sides of the fence with people for China and against. Least the Chinese workers go in and do the work themselves I can't imagine any construction worker from developed countries doing the same.
1.Is Chinese Investment Good for Africa? - Council on Foreign Relations
2. China is investing in Africa while West sit on the fence | Business | News - insidesomalia.org

Also I'm amazed how US citizens complain about oil reaching their shores yet turn a blind eye to problems created in other countries by their own companies to keep the US engines running.

Canada : STOP: Stop Tar Sands Operations Permanently

South America: Ecuador's Amazonians sue Chevron over poison waterways - Telegraph

Africa:
Nigeria's agony dwarfs the Gulf oil spill. The US and Europe ignore it | Environment | The Observer

Everyone's hands are dirty so lets stop pointing fingers.

That is probably the vaguest paragraph is have read in a while, in the context of the Vietnam war how again did the US win against the USSR and China?
The proper context here is that Viet Nam was just one of the many battlefields the two powers faced off against each other. The communist bloc did not expect the US to actually commit troops in Indochina or to support Western Europe the way we did. In the end, the Soviet Union collapsed, ignobly and spectacularly, the communist bloc crumbled just like 'The Wall' did, and China was forced to adopt the ways of the enemy just to survive.

We won...:toast_sign:

The proper context here is that Viet Nam was just one of the many battlefields the two powers faced off against each other. The communist bloc did not expect the US to actually commit troops in Indochina or to support Western Europe the way we did. In the end, the Soviet Union collapsed, ignobly and spectacularly, the communist bloc crumbled just like 'The Wall' did, and China was forced to adopt the ways of the enemy just to survive.

The world knows it that Uncle SAM lost the Vietnam and Korean war and is about to lose the Afghan war. Uncle SAM keeps losing one war after another. :victory:

LOL China was Communist for 30 years out of a 5000 year civilization.

Capitalism has existed for a long time, centuries before modern America even existed after the genocide of the natives.

After only a few decades of Communist regimes, the world just reverted back to type. It was a failure of Communism and of the USSR. The USA's part was to lose in military conflicts like Vietnam, the USSR collapsed on its own.

In any case, you are South Vietnamese, you didn't win anything at all.

LOL China was Communist for 30 years out of a 5000 year civilization.
And before that China was what...???

Capitalism has existed for a long time, centuries before modern America even existed after the genocide of the natives.
So who said capitalism was an American invention...???

After only a few decades of Communist regimes, the world just reverted back to type.
Yes...It was a foolish experiment. Paid in blood.

It was a failure of Communism and of the USSR.
And China.

The USA's part was to lose in military conflicts like Vietnam, the USSR collapsed on its own.
The US did not militarily lost in Viet Nam. And just because no one invaded USSR proper, the USSR did not collapse on its own. External influences drained its already badly managed resources.

The US did not militarily lost in Viet Nam.

LOL keep saying that, maybe you think it will come true

Face it, your South Vietnam was squashed. Despite the reckless use of napalm on civilians.

By the way read some history, Deng Xiaoping institued Capitalist reforms in 1978, long before the collapse of the USSR.

LOL keep saying that, maybe you think it will come true
It did came true. The NVA had to resort to violate the borders of Laos and Cambodia to support a guerrilla war in South Viet Nam.

Face it, your South Vietnam was squashed. Despite the reckless use of napalm on civilians.
Yes...South Viet Nam lost. But the point here is the US military.

By the way read some history, Deng Xiaoping institued Capitalist reforms in 1978, long before the collapse of the USSR.
Economic reforms in China did not occurred instantly. There is something called 'institutional inertia' and centralized planning under the communist methods was already entrenched. I do not care when that reform began, only that the realization that communism is not such a grand idea after all. What a waste.

The realization that communism is not such a grand idea after all. What a waste.

On THAT point, I agree.

It's important to look at the timing though, Deng Xiaoping already embraced Capitalist reforms in 1978, long before the collapse of Communism via the USSR.

Back
Top Bottom