What's new

Thoughts on the 'Mohajir sooba', & the May 22 attacks in Karachi

53fd

New Recruit

Reaction score
I am an Urdu speaking 'Mohajir' from Karachi who has lived in both interior Sindh, as well as Punjab. MQM have a huge fan base in Karachi, Hyderabad; but no where else in this country. Why? Because whether we Urdu speakers like to admit or not (a lot of Urdu speakers have started introspection, including me), MQM is well known for its mafia like tactics. There is a reason why MQM is not liked, & it doesn't necessarily have to do with Sindhis/Punjabis/Pakhtuns disliking MQM or Urdu speakers, but because of MQM's mafia like tactics. I remember the atrocities Urdu speakers had to face in 1992 in Hyderabad & Karachi, but that was the past, & we must move on from that chapter. Altaf Hussein worked towards the destruction of the Urdu speaking community, by making them abandon their education & turning them towards political activism, supplying them endless number of arms.

While I appreciate the development work of the MQM in Karachi, & their moderate secular approach; for the MQM to redeem itself, Altaf Hussein must be brought back to Pakistan & held accountable; & the MQM needs to disassociate from him & his mafia like tactics. The Urdu speakers that generally support MQM have had very little exposure (inside Pakistan) besides the MQM strongholds they've been brought up in, and normally belong to the lower/lower-middle class of society.

Urdu speakers that live outside of MQM strongholds, in interior Sindh or Punjab; or elsewhere in the country speak fluent regional languages pertaining to the land (myself included), & it is only the people in the MQM strongholds, refusing to acclimatize (by not speaking the local language, & other things), stuck in the past: these are the people that want a 'Mohajir sooba'. I do not want to do anything with such a 'sooba'. Most Urdu speakers reject the 'Mohajir sooba', as Urdu speakers are located in every inch & corner of Pakistan, acclimatized very well (besides the MQM influenced areas); the entire Pakistan belongs to us, & we do not need to restrict ourselves to a small 'sooba'.

Having a 'Mohajir sooba' based on ethnic lines is nothing but a recipe for disaster. For one thing, Mohajirs post 1947 came to Pakistan from different parts of India, from Ludhiana to as far as Hyderabad Deccan & Calcutta. Then there are many mullah like Mohajirs from Rajasthan & UP as well. Even when I visit some of my distant relatives in Orangi Town in Karachi (a Bihari stronghold), I instantly feel disconnected to them. There is no common 'Mohajir' identity.

Separating Karachi from Sindh, & making it a NCR union-like territory (like New Delhi & Islamabad) is possible, & will be very beneficial, but only along administrative lines; not ethnic ones. A province named 'Mohajir sooba' is nothing but a recipe for disaster, for civil war, because it would threaten our Urdu speaking community, that we label ourselves as 'Mohajirs', when today, we are not 'Mohajirs', but Urdu speakers/New Sindhis/New Punjabis etc.

Although, I do not support MQM but I support further provincial division of every major province on administrative lines not on ethnic ones. I am too a Mohajir but I do not like to be called as. Better to say I am Pakistani.
I do not support any province named as Khaibar Pakhtoon Khwa, Saraiki Sooba, Panjabi Sobba or MUHAJIR SOOBA etc etc ...

You might have lost your identity but I haven't. As a Muhajir, I support a seperate province so we do not face the racist attitudes from Sindhis, Punjabis and the rest who are the most undereducated groups in Pakistan. As a member of the most educated group I feel the need for a Muhajir province is great.

Muhajir Zindabad!

Segregation can never resolve a conflict; but it generates many new ones. The only solution is pluralism and tolerance.

For me, solution is a complete administrative revamping of whole of Pakistan with the elimination of existing names of the provinces and creating at least 15 new provinces from scratch.

You might have lost your identity but I haven't. As a Muhajir, I support a seperate province so we do not face the racist attitudes from Sindhis, Punjabis and the rest who are the most undereducated groups in Pakistan. As a member of the most educated group I feel the need for a Muhajir province is great.

Muhajir Zindabad!

The real Leader of Muhajirs gave us the identity to be called as Pakistani after Muslim .. So have i really lost my identity?
By the way the name of the leader was Muhammad Ali Jinnah, the true Muhajir unlike .... well never mind.

^^^

His post is deleted. So it is better you also edit or delete your post.

No thank you. Though I wish them well in their efforts, but they chose their bed in 1947 and now must make do with it.

I don't care if they kill, die, blow up, study, progress, invent or do whatever it is on earth that they want to.

India has nothing to do with them anymore.

And so do you .. and you can keep off now.

If Mohajirs want their own province then they can go back to Uttar Pradesh and make their Mohajir province there.

Karachi is Sindh, and will always stay Sindh Province of Pakistan.

Bro this is not the right way to present your views. you in this way proving MQM's ideology right. Larger provinces of Pakistan must be divided into smaller provinces on administrative basis. Whether it is Sindh, Punjab, Baluchistan or KPW. It is essential for the success of Pakistan.

The reason for this province talk is because of real grievances. Solve those and the stupid proposal goes away. Diving the best administrated province is dumb.
Grievances:
1. When it comes to revenue collection, Karachi and the rest of Sind have different rates. When it comes to spending, it's spent on everyone

2. When it comes to admission in government colleges, everyone's a Sindhi. When it comes to University, there's a quota system with no merit

3. When it comes to talking up Sindh unity, we're all Sindhis. When it comes to actual matters on the grounds, Karachiites and Sindhis are suddenly different.

These are 3 of the major problems that can be easily fixed by the best president ever and hopefully they will

Note: I won't use the word Mohajir, want an identity, go with Karachiite

^ like Greater Karachi Province, or Naya or Bara Karachi ... sounds good :)

I am a "Mohajir" in America, i would like to have a Mohajir sooba in America also. <----Good luck with that.

"Mohajir"s have integrated well in punjab, Balochistan, GB, Kashmir and KP. If you ("Mohajir"s)dont like living in Sindh, why dont you leave?

@Bilalhaider, Delhi and Pondicherry are union territories but has an elected legislative assembly and a Chief Minister just like any state in India. Gurgaon is the part of Haryana and Noida is the part of UP but both considered part of Delhi NCR but not administered under NCT Delhi.
So, won't agree with you for Delhi like model for Karachi.

This is pathetic and exactly way we need our own province. Tell us to go where? We must have our own province!

They are now Pakistani and real owner of Karachi for whom half the population of Karachi who were Sindhi Hindus made to flee to India.
If they hate it here, why don't they leave then? Go back to India. Who's stopping them?

Back
Top Bottom